Vampires and Labels

I've always said that I'm a vampire, because I'm a nocturnal person, well, no one of my family its like me, at least not my mom, dad or my sisters and brother. But a few days ago my cousin (which is from Merida, Yucatan, if you look at the map of Mexico one day, its the state that its located at the "tail" of the country) well, I found that she, was in fact, another vampire, 'cause we have been spending our nights just talking about everything that comes to our little, weird minds. My cousin is also, one of the few people whom I can talk to, and she, apparently, listens to me. Yesterday during the night, in one of our nights awake, we started to talk about something that I wanted to talk about, but never got the chance to analyze it. Stereotypes and labels. Hippie, EMO, fagg, punk, Poper (note, I don' know if that word exists, but with this I meant Pop fan, now that i think so... popper DOES mean something... but right now I'm referring to my little own meaning, sorry) rapper, pimp, all those little names that are given to you, mainly, because of the way you dress and look. Bullshit if you ask me.
As we were analyzing the whole thing, it came a moment of truth, when we looked at each other eyes and asked "and what are you?"
I hesitated to answer... what am I anyway? Everybody in my school thinks I'm EMO or something, because I like MCR (same old shit of always...) other says I'm punk, because I use this necklace that looks just like my dear Sid Vicious used to wear (the padlock... ) and I'm a huge Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Ramones, New York Dolls.. etc, fan. Then again, some people says I'm a hippie (there's this Mexican group that I really love, which is called Cafe Tacuba, if you know spanish or like latin music, try listening to them, they are awesome) which dress sort of Hippie, and their songs are really like... well, hippie. So what am I? Am I a new mix of hippie-emo-punk? a Hemunk? And then I though of it...
I'm nothing of the above, I'm nothing that its described, and at the same time I think, who is exactly the way a label should be? Who follows all and every rule that this stupid stereotypes have? Who can say "I'm a 100% emo, or hippie or whatever?" Who made these rules anyway?
Labels are only for CD's and clothes, but not for people.
No one should be labeled, because there's no way he or she is completely that something.
I hate labels, but most of that, I hate people who wears them and people who puts them, I'm not an album you can find in the EMO section or in the Hippie or in the PUNK, but maybe you'll find me in "others" or "undetermined" section. ;)
March 21st, 2008 at 08:14am