Green Day saved my sanity

I'm often heard to say how MCR has saved my life, which is the truth. They've given me hope during my darkest hours and given me mantras to chant in my head when I feel I'm losing heart. Something I've not said often enough is that Green Day have given me hope too because they provided a vent for me to let out all the anger I've felt inside for the last six months or so.

My husband was under threat of the sack for six whole months (as I might have mentioned before) and we didn't know if we'd have a home or a future afterwards. All this for a posting he made to a message board about unnecessary death. He has a satirical style about him and is a fan of the work of Chris Morris who created the series Brass Eye...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brass_Eye

^^^ the Wiki low-down on the series

... Alex's style of writing wasn't appreciated by the Powers-That-Be and they gave him six months of hell over it, dangling the sack over his head like the Sword of Damocles. So there I was, unable to help him and so angry I could feel the bile rising. It felt as if the whole experience was poisoning me slowly. Like having a defective liver and failing kidneys.

Green Day's lyrics vented my anger for me in the midst of their beautiful, powerful yet sweet sound. Lyrics like those in Platypus (I hate you). The tirade in the middle starting "dickhead, fuckface..." was music to my ears..

"I'll stand above you, just to piss on your grave"

The other song that I played on repeat to get through my anger was F.O.D. I'd never have survived without that...

"I'm taking pride in telling you to fuck off and die"!

Panic song anyone?

"Torn out of reality
To a state of no opinion
Limp with hate"

It's very hard to come down from that level of high alert after the event passed. We were constantly waiting for the axe to fall and for us to have nothing left. Now, we're "safe", but I'd never have got through it in one piece without Green Day. Effectively My Chem saved my life, but Green Day saved my sanity after that point.
March 21st, 2008 at 09:23am