RIP Samantha, March 18th 2003 - April 15th 2008

I've just heard some heartbreaking news. Samantha Hughes is a little girl who was fighting a type of cancer called Neuroblastoma. I heard about her a few years ago from a friend, she lives not too far away from me, so her story touched me very personally. I've followed her story ever since. I went onto her website today and learnt that she's passed away.

It's such sad, sad news, and even though I didn't know her in person, it's hit me rather hard. Her battle with cancer is what inspired me to want to become an oncologist - I wanted to help this amazing brave children, and Samantha's passing has only made me even more detirmined to make a difference.

She may have only been five, but Samantha inspired so many people (including me) and her life and amazing legacy will never be forgotten.

This what her family posted on her site:

Our beautiful Princess Samantha passed away on Tuesday April 15th.

Samantha was a very special and very brave princess who touched the hearts of people in every corner of the world, and her light, strength and courage will shine forever.

We were honoured to have had her as part of our lives and so proud that she accomplished more in her short life by inspiring others than we could ever hope to achieve.


Her website is www.samanthahughes.co.uk . She was a truely amazing little girl, and will be missed so, so much.
April 17th, 2008 at 03:09pm