Ill Fashioned Romance With A Side of Cliche Hooks

Witty poets sing of love, and hopes, and dreams, but they live in an alternate place, one that is very different from our own. All their fancy lingo can't paint up this hell to make it work, to make it attractive and appealing to the eye. At least, not in my world.

Maybe I'm the only one, though, who thinks that love is overrated. Maybe it's just because I haven't been struck by cupids arrow yet. Though there was a time where I thought I had been, what I felt was probably more along the lines of a double shot of lust, mixed with a shot of gullibility, served on ice.

To me, promises are nothing more than wasted time. For the people who make them, promises are nothing more than wasted words. So, at least I'll believe, until someone comes along to prove to me otherwise. I knew a boy, well, scratch that, I still know him. What a piece of work. Sugar coating lies, making them sound oh so sweet.

Words of advice to him: drop the act, boy, and serve the truth up fresh.

If his charm were a service, or for lack of a better simile, a charming outdoor restaurant located on the corner of the block, he'd have a wide selection of entrees to choose from. Funny, though, how his special of the day always seems to be the same thing: ill fashioned romance, served with a side of cliché hooks.

To him, I'd like to say:

"Save your charm for those young, ignorant hearts, babe; this heart of mine is too withered and calloused to be affected by your lies anymore. It's lost its sense of feeling, blocking off anyone who tries to approach it. I may be quick to trust you with my life, but trusting you with my heart? No, no, that's not as easy for me to do anymore.

So go on, and chase all those other girls that catch your eye. I remember when have you implied that I had caught yours one day, a long time ago, but the years have changed us both; I'm not the sweet girl that you thought me to be, but rather the cold heart bitch I had always told you I was. But don't leave with the thought that you're the perfect knight in shining whatever; you're just one of the crude people I had always been afraid of.

So yes, please continue on your way, finding that one girl you will do anything for. And for those other girls you'll meet along your way, I know I can trust you to poison their minds with your intoxicating speech. Luckily for me, I was never really one for drug induced euphoria.

And if you should ever see me walking on the street, just pass me by because I won't waste my time on you anymore. I remember I used to stay up late to see that cunning smirk of yours, but who's smirking now when all you're left with are memories? True, you can say that your pictures last longer, but then I must confess that I used them to help set fire to your guilty conscious.

I know that the truth can hurt, but just sit tight because it will all be over before you know it. I spent many years waiting for you because I was so ignorant to believe every single thing you said, but when I decided it was time to move on, believe me when I say I was able to do so in a second. Make sure you wash away the ashes from your skin, rinse your mouth of the bitter taste of your lies, and rinse yourself of the past.

What's done is done, and from here on in, I'm never looking back."

And so my search continues, though I may not be so enthusiastic about it. While I walk through this town, I keep an open eye for new possibilities, while I use my mind to shut out the past. Lesson number one in moving forward: forget what it's like to back track.

So, take a deep breath, let it out slowly, forget what pain feels like, and simply ... live.
April 20th, 2008 at 06:53am