So I ALMOST Got To Meet My Chemical Romance

So I went to an MCR concert on Friday at the congress theater (their second concert there). I took some pretty great photos (links are at the bottom) and had a great time. They played with David Costa (who I hadn't heard of, and I wasn't impressed by), Drive By (who sold their own merch after their set so you could go and meet them personally!), and Billy Talent (I already liked them and they were great live).

It was an eventful night though. So here's how it went:
We arrived at the concert and met a lady, Carolyn, who works for my dad. Her friend owns the congress theater and we were supposed to go and meet MCR before the show so we walked behind the theater to the backstage entrance only to be told that although my name and the three other girls with me had our names on the list Carolyn's name had not been placed on the list (instead Max's (a guy who was originally going to be the one to get us backstage but couldn't since his wife was starting chemo the day before) name was on the list) and we couldn't go in without Max.

Right after we turned away who walks out? Bob Bryar. I looked at him and my eyes widened because he was so close that if I was to raise my arm I could touch him. He saw my eyes widened and looked nervous. I didn’t want to bother him since he had obviously come out into the alley for a reason so I turned back to my friend Kayte and when I turned away I saw him visibly relax, glad I wasn't going to go up to him. He walked towards some people and we were told we had to leave the alley so we walked behind Bob and a girl in the group of people he was taking to goes "Bob they're following you" in a teasing voice.

We got inside and were pretty close up when David Costa hit the stage. I've never left my seat during a who before but David Costa were so bad (in my opinion, sorry if anyone likes them) that me and my three friends (Kayte, Kelsey, and Caitlyn) left and went to sit on the stairs in the front room.

We went back when Drive By was starting to set up. They're really good, but didn't have very good stage presence. They're new to touring though so I'm sure they'll improve in that area. They filmed the crowd a bit (I'm sure they're making a small video like Kut U Up did on the Pop Disaster Tour) and they're performance was filmed as well.

Then Billy Talent came on, also didn't have great stage presence but were great, I already was a fan before the show though.

Then MCR came on. Caitlyn and I pushed up to the front until there were only two people in front of us and enjoyed the show. While they didn’t play any new material off the upcoming album they did play Head First for Halos and Desert Song (those two made my night). During Desert Storm both Ray and Frank sat down to play.

Mikey was wearing a shirt that read Mikey Fuckin’ Way in big block letters. You could get that shirt at the merch stand as well as one that had Ray on it that said Toro above the picture of Ray playing guitar on stage. I’m betting that they’re having a contest to see who’s shirt sells more (that’s just my personal thoughts though).

By the way, at the oncert Gerard said something that REALLY amused me right before they played I'm Not Okay.
He started it out sort of like the video saying,
"We like D&D, comics, fangoria.... We're never gonna make it, but I don't want to make it. I just want to DANCE!" and then the song started but I was laughing to hard to sing along because he said it REALLY excited-like. Probably the best moment on stage of the night.

Someone also threw a stuffed animal unicorn on stage which Gerard picked up and said "A unicorn! Mikey loves these! Don't you Mikey?" in a teasing voice.

After the concert Carolyn and the guy who owns the congress theater takes us to a place where the band was supposed to sign stuff for some fans. We waited a good 45 minutes while the equipment was loaded into trucks because apparently they couldn’t come and sign anything till it was all loaded up. When that happened it was 11:35 p.m. which is curfew for the city of Chicago (if you are under 18) and that means the band couldn’t come out a sign anything since it wouldn’t be fair to the fans under 18 that couldn’t stay out.

We saw Gerard and Ray talk to the security guards about coming and signing any way but the guards wouldn’t have it. They came over and told all the fans to leave. My friend Kayte and I had made the MCR guys something (which I’ll also post a link to) and the security guard gave it to Bob for us (the guys said thank you through the security guards to us).

And we went home some what disappointed but it wasn’t like the MCR guys didn’t want to come and see us because we heard and saw them argue with the guards. These things happen.

Links to pictures!
Frank (in cowboy hat), Bob, Mikey, and Gerard
Gerard, Bob, and Mikey
Ray Toro (bad shot but my only on of him since I was like right in front of Frank so I was far away from him)
Frank, Mikey, and Bob
Gerard, Mikey, and Bob
Gerard "conducting" the auidence, having them sing the beginning of Welcome To The Black Parade

Pictures of Glass portrait of MCR that Kayte and I made (copyrighted!):
Picture 1
Picture 2
April 21st, 2008 at 04:23am