My Chemical Overdose

Waking at 8 am and getting dressed in my MCR attire I jumped in the car and ferverently drove towards Detroit, where MCR would be playing in 12 hours. After a hour and a half drive I was there, greeted by a sizeable line of dedicated fans that had arrived hours, and even days in advance. I was a lucky one, very close to the front of the line and surrounded by fans that I could talk to.

A half an hour later these two really kick ass girls from PA showed up, and we talked for most of the rest of the day. They'd been following them around since '05, and were pretty well aquainted with the guys. They told me stories about when Ray had accidentally spit on them, when one of them had fallen in love with Bob and told Worm, who then told the boys, which resulted in many strange and unnerving looks from all of them. My most favorite story though was the one where they had waited for several hours outside to meet Gee, and when he finally showed up they chatted for a good long while. Then when they parted ways he flashed a creep smile and said 'nighty night' in one of those creepy rapist voices.

The only thing I could really complain about the waiting was that this group directly in front of me kept multiplying from five to about twenty, but eventually security intervened and most of them had to go to the growing end of the line.

After waiting and waiting, and having to pee soooo bad I thought I was going to burst the doors opened, and it seemed like all hell broke loose. We ran towards the doors, only to be herded in and patted down. My security lady seemed a bit too fresh with me, checking my cleavage and damn near sticking her hands down my pants in search for a camera (which I did not have). After oogling the merch tables for a moment I quickly dashed up to the third floor balcony, and was greeted with a pleasant sight.

Most of the people who were in line before me had floor tickets, so there was no one sitting in my prime spot I had hoped for. Sitting slightly stage left and in the first balcony row, it was the best damn seat I could have asked for. Not having to worry about getting squished and having a killer view of the entire stage, just sitting there could have killed me with anticipation. I waited for a good 20 minutes before I jumped up and went to pee. Thank god too, I probably would have killed myself because of all the toxins in my body that had accumilated over the last four hours.

Drive By was very good, despite their over-agerness for us to buy their 5 dollar CD. They were very energetic, and I will say that their guitarist had some pretty amazing hair. Then after their set I waited for a bit and jumped up to wait in line for merch. I purchased the T.Oro shirt and a pair of gloves, which made me one of the happiest Toro fans ever. After blowing hard earned money I ran back up to the balcony, just in time for Billy Talent's set.

Now, I'm from the Detroit area and know MUCH of Billy Talent but NEVER in my life did I think that their show would so engmatic, so crazy. All of the Canadians in the crowd went WILD!! Their front man is amazing, and has a great voice. The got everyone so pumped and ready for the boys, getting almost everyone up off their feet.

Now one thing I've failed to mention thus far. In the first act, already about four people had been pulled from the pit due to passing out or getting hurt. By the time Billy Talent was over another good six people were down, including a boy who had had a seizure right in the middle of the set. Security was pretty good getting them pulled out though. No one really got trampled except for this girl who looked like her foot got smashed.

Waiting and wating and wating some more I sat there, waiting for my boys to come out. As soon as the big see-through MCR drop came down the crowd went INSANE, as well as I. I'm a little mad that I'm not a screamer much, because I couldn't even hear myself in the place. Built for acoustics I think everyone must have been overloaded with sound. About ten minutes later the lights went down, and all hell broke loose. I don't even remember what song they opened with(actually I think it was Sleep, but I could be wrong), because I swear to you the moment that first guitar riff roared through the theater I lost all control of my life. Thrashing, headbanging, motioning towards the stage, singing at the top of my lungs; my body acted all on it's own. Drowing in drum beats, guitar riffs and that amazing melancholy voice the crowd became one giant entity, pouring our heart and souls into the music. Fuck, I thought I was going to lose myself completely at times and fall over the railing.

It was amazing to know that when Gee had requested for the house lights to shine on us that the balcony crowd was so amazingly loud that we overpowered the floor. We were so mad into it, fists pumping and begging for more. Not even three songs in I could feel my voice begin to fade away, turning ever the more raspy by the second. But still I kept screaming and singing as if nothing was wrong, thrusting my body around and dancing like I've never danced before. I must've lost at least 10 pounds due to all of the water loss.

When they began to play 'The Ghost of You' I started bawling, considering what the song has done for me. Swaying back and forth I kept staring up at the massive stained glass dome above me, before thrashing around so violently through the choruses I'm sure people around me though I too had gone into a seizure.

By the time they played 'Mama' I was so sore and tired, but my body kept going. I got some pretty strange looks from the adults around me that were there with their young kids, but I could care less. It was a magical experience for me; I felt so complete during that hour and a half or so. I was a part of something so much bigger, so fucking awesome that I couldn't even comprehend it.

Soon the sounds of 'Cancer' were filling my ears and I knew it was close to the end, panting heavily and sweating profusely I had the look of a madwoman on my face. Once it was over and we all began screaming, and we were quickly rewarded with the amazing playing of Ray on his acoustic.

And this is where things get a tad bit odd. I went ape shit when 'Desert Song' came on. I sang for most of the song, until towards the end I concentrated on Ray's playing. As soon as Gee began screaming 'mourge' over and over....

... that's when I literally had an orgasm in my pants.

I kid you not. I'm sure you really didn't want to know, but at that moment the intensity of the vibrations from the show and the crowd were so strong and Ray's guitar was just so mind blowing.....As soon as it happened I flopped down in my seat, thinking I was going to have a heart attack.

We were entertained with two more songs, ending with 'Helena'. As soon as they left the stage I was on my feet again, running to get in line for the signing. Once again I was at the head of the line, and only had to wait about 20 minutes for anyone to come out.

When I got up there it was only Frank who was signing, and I don't think anyone else ended up coming out. I was so overwhelmed I choked on my words a bit, but managed to ask him to sign my old MCR shirt and thank him and tell him how much he and the band mean to me. Then I gave him a HUGE bear hug, and congratulated him and Jamia. He was actually a bit taller than what I had expected, but then again I'm no giant.

Other than having a sore neck, a bit of a raspy voice and still ringing ears I couldn't be happier, and I can't wait until they come touring again!
April 21st, 2008 at 09:37pm