Ban Band Tees??

I was talking to my cousin, Megan, who's a freshman in high school earlier tonight. She informed me that Mitchell High School (the school she attends, and I attended) is planning to do random drug testing next year to everyone who is in extra-curricular activities and/or drives a car to school. Okay, random drug testing is, believe me, needed.

She then went on to inform me that they are also banning...yes, BANNING all band t-shirts to be worn during the course of the school day. From this alone, you are probably thinking the same thing I did..."Why?? *raised eyebrow and confused expression on face*". They're banning them just because the teachers are 'tired' of seeing all the kids wearing them.

Good reason, huh? *note the sarcasm* Um, okay...so, it has nothing to do with the band the shirt is promoting, and nothing to do with the graphics on the shirt. Oh, no. It's all because it's becoming the style, and teachers don't like it. How dumb does that make them look, really? So, does this mean that if I were in an authortative position, I could ban all elderly women from wearing their pants up around their chins and ban all elderly men from wearing knee-high socks with shorts in the dead of summer? I mean, I'm 'tired of seeing it', so does that give me reason enough to ban it? o.O

I realize that the kids that attend my school should be thankful that they don't have to wear uniforms like other schools do, but still, don't you think banning a certain kind of t-shirt, solely because a small (and let's face it, the teacher:student ratio is a pathetic one in just about every high school nowadays) group of people decide they are sick of seeing it, is rather ridiculous? Could they not come up with something a bit more important? Like...oh, I don't know...reducing the amount of car crashes that happen during the school lunch hour??

Perhaps I'm not understanding both sides of the story, but I have a feeling that this isn't going to sit well with the students. To me it just seems that the school board is focused too much on petty things, when they could/should be worrying about how to stop the death of high school teenagers.

There has not been a single graduating class at my high school that hasn't suffered the death of a classmate in at least five years. (Not including the current senior class) Most of which were caused by car wrecks or drug overdoses.

Eh, anyway...I just think it's a ridiculous school rule...not unlike most of the school rules. lol. Thanks for reading. Tell me what your thoughts are on this. Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture. I don't know. lol

xox--Jess
May 1st, 2008 at 06:01am