5/7/08 First My Chemical Romance Concert ever.

Four hours of traveling, then getting lost for about an hour just to see My Chemical Romance was way more than worth it.

We didn’t get stuck in too much traffic, but the longest amount of time we were stuck was for about ten minutes, at the most. My mom kept pulling out her map to check to see if we were going the right way, which was pretty funny.

Around 5:58 we ended up calling Courtney (Tainted Séance) to figure out how to get to the venue, seeing as we were completely lost. It turns out that my mom took the wrong exit because she wasn’t paying attention to where we were. After ten minutes of traveling down the road, my mom stopped at a gas station and got directions from a tow truck guy. It turns out that we were about five minutes away.

The guy that was having us park was funny. He kept hitting the back of the trunk when he knew my mom was far enough, and then he called my mom “mama”. We were about fifteen minutes late for the doors opening, but we didn’t miss anything.

My mom thought it would be easier if we got the T-shirts first, and that’s what we did. We stood in line for a minimal amount of time, and I couldn’t choose. I chose the Toro Shirt after all. As we were standing in line, this lady walked up beside Lizz and she was holding The Black Parade Is Dead! posters. She as waking Lizz and I if we wanted one, and she laughed and said, “Don’t worry, I’m not trying to be creepy. The posters are free.” So we took one.

Lizz and I were standing near the booth where the Drive By things were being sold, and no one was even looking at them. I felt kid of bad, though. My mom said that if we liked the band, then she would by us a T-shirt from them, and she did.

Drive By is an amazing band. I never listened to them until last night, and I was kind of shocked that I never heard of them before. The lead singer kept telling us that he wanted to meet us, and that they loved Philadelphia. My mom bought me their CD, too. The creepy thing is, my mom liked them.

Taking Back Sunday showed up. They were special guests, and that was the first time I had ever really listened to their music. When they came on stage, everybody behind Lizz and I (we were pretty close to the stage) pushed us forward to get closer to the stage. The lead singer was making jokes, and he said, “Did you ever notice how at rock shows no one screams ‘Good!’ or ‘Awesome’? They only scream ‘Ahh!’”

It seemed like forever while we watched the technicians setting up. The guy that kept was messing with the microphone kept saying, “Hey. Check, check.” Every time he said “Hey” I screamed, “Hi!” Then when the drum technician was messing with the drums, I said to Lizz, “He’s showing off.”

The techs. kept throwing water at us when someone would scream, “More water!” I got wet, and it was refreshing. Then one of the staff members was messing around with the flash light, and he shined it right in my eyes.

Not much longer of seeing the signs for upcoming performances playing on the screen did they shut off, and the lights darkened. The crowd screamed very loud as Ray walked on stage, followed by Bob, Mikey, Frank and then Gerard.

They opened up with Give ‘Em Hell Kid, which made everyone go even wilder.

The set was like:
Give 'Em Hell, Kid
This Is How I Disappear
Sharpest Lives
I'm Not Okay
Cemetery Drive
Headfirst For Halos
Prison
Cancer
House of Wolves
Thank You For The Venom
Sleep
Welcome to the Black Parade (which Gerard dedicated to his and Mikey’s dad who was there last night)
Teenagers (which he dedicated to the one guitar tech. who is fifteen, and two girls that the band watched grow up)
I Don't Love You
Famous Last Words
Kill All Your Friends
Dead!
Mama
Desert Song
Helena

Between two of the song Frank took his microphone to Bob’s drum set, and started to sing the theme song to Fresh Prince. Everyone one there was singing along with him. Ray pointed out that Frank left his microphone at the drum set because our crowd had made him that nervous. Then they only played the “Think happy thoughts” part of Headfirst For Halos because of how nervous Frank had gotten. Then Gerard said, “That’s adorable…” Then he turned around and said, “I’m adorable.” And the crowd went berserk.

I remember that after Dead! Gerard had walked over to the side Lizz and I were standing on, and it looked like he looked right at me, but I can't be too sure.

The concert was completely amazing, and I’m glad I got to go. I had an amazing time, and so did Lizz. From all my times about dreaming what a My Chem concert would be like, it was nothing like it. It was way better than anything.

I really hope all of you can get a chance to see them as well, but Gerard said it was going to be a couple of years because they were taking time off to make the new record.

Also, Gerard told us that Philadelphia night two was better than night one. That made everyone around us screams even louder.

Also, before MCR came on, this lady walked by Lizz and I and was saying, "Looks like we're not getting in here, hey kids?" It was clear that she was drunk, and her breath smelled of booze as well.

Also, someone threw a pack of coffee onto the stage, and Gerard picked it up and said, "Ooh, coffee. You can throw coffee. You can throw boas too, because they're not heavy. Just don't throw beads. Who wears beads anyway? Are we in Mardigras? No, we're at a fucking My Chemical Romance concert!"
May 8th, 2008 at 05:33pm