Death Penalty view

Anyone who kills another person deserves to be put to death by the government. Anyone who kills should kill no more.

Why is it just?:

The death penalty is good for every state. It helps get rid of murderers and it makes the state a better place to live. People who kill other people have waived their rights to live and deserve to be put to death. People are responsible for their actions, murderers know what happens when they murder someone, they have a risk of getting the death penalty, which is fair. A lot of abolionists do not think it is just because they think that it is wrong for the government to take a person's life. They think that it is cruel and unusual punishment. What about the victims? They have suffered more than cruel and unusual punishment. The murderers deserve any method of death that the government hands them. The murderers get it too easy. The death penalty is totally just.

Murders are on the decline:

In recent years, violent crimes had dropped dramatically, due in part of the reinstituion of the death penalty. In California, the murder rate is going down. In 1993, 4,095 people were murdered; in 1994, the number dropped to 3,699; in 1995, the number dropped to 3,530; in 1996, the number dropped to 2,910; and in 2006, the number dropped to 2,485. This shows that it is possible that the death penalty is working. By executing four people, the state saved 1,597 people from being killed in a back alley without judges, juries or the ability to appeal. The government should execute people right away also, like in a year or two instead of 20 years. If that happens, then there could be a dramatic drop of murders.

Why life in prison is not a great option:

There are some people that think that life in prison is a better option than the death penalty. It is not the best option at all for numerous of reasons. It may be cheaper but it does not help the murder rate go down. One of the reasons that is wrong with life in prison is that the murderer is still alive and it is still living and breathing, joking around with inmates, working out, protected by the guards, free food and a place to sleep while the victims family still suffers. Murderers with life in prison could also kill other inmates or guards, so they take more lifes there. Life in prison sentence can also deterioate with the passing of time.
May 8th, 2008 at 11:09pm