Sports??

So for some many people in high school it's about getting into a group where you belong, and for a lot of people that's a sport... But what is considered a sport? The dictionary definition is...

an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc...

but then things like chess and poker are sports too? When I think of a sport I think of something that involves moving your body, getting active, and takes brain power.

Okay so you may be wondering why I'm kinda ranting about all this... Well for so many people, marching band isn't considered a sport, yet chess is. Well for marching band, or at least at my school, we do competitions and we're out working on our show for way more hours than the football team practices and works out. It takes strength, memory, and coordination... things that are in many other sports! So why don't they continue marching band a sport?

If you don't think mb is a sport can you enlighten me as to why you think that way.. and for others can you tell me what other sports people don't consider sports that really are, or games that are considered sports that really shouldn't?!?

Thanks for reading my rant. =D
May 9th, 2008 at 01:26am