My Avenged Sevenfold Rants

Okay, before you start thinking I’m going to dish on A7X, you’re wrong. I’m defending them wholeheartedly. So, here goes:

Rant Number One:
I love Avenged, period. I love all of their albums. Yes, all four of them are different, but if I remember correctly, that was a7x's goal. Quoting from their DVD "All Excess", I distinctly remember them saying, "We wanted each album to be different than the last one. We wanted one with all screaming, one with half and half, one with no screaming, and one completely different." Hence, you get each and every album, exactly as they wanted it.

Rant Number Two:
They're not sell-outs. Just because they decided to change their sound from the get-go, does not make them sell-outs. Sell-outs would stick to one particular genre until they stopped selling out concerts, and then decide to change their style just for the sole purpose of filling seats at venues and stadiums. And, just because a band decides they want their stuff to air on TRL, does NOT automatically make them sell-outs. Sure, they did it to broaden their fan base, but isn’t the whole point to being in a famous band? I mean, if you were going to be in a band, but only wanted local fans, you wouldn’t try to get your band booked at gigs where producers were going to attend. You’d still be performing in high school gyms and practicing in your mom’s garage because you had nowhere else to go. To me, the whole point of being famous period—whether it’s actor, actress, singer, band, etc.—was to get your name known and to have as many people recognize you for your talent as possible. Am I wrong? No? Okay, then. Stop calling my beloved Avenged Sevenfold sell-outs.

Rant Number Three:
It drives me insane reading comments on a7x's MySpace page saying things like, "You guys need to go back to the days of Waking The Fallen!" If you want to hear songs like Waking The Fallen, listen to Waking The Fallen. Don’t ask the band to make the same CD twice. That’s dumb. Don’t you want to hear different songs on each of their albums? I do. Otherwise, I’m going to get bored. I believe it’s good for a band/musician to be willing to venture off the beaten path, and experiment with different styles and sounds, and if you can do it well, even better. I think it shows Avenged’s talents when they can master metal songs such as “The Art Of Subconscious Illusion”, love songs such as “Warmness On The Soul” or “Seize The Day”, religious-esque songs such as “Chapter Four” or “The Wicked End”, pop songs such as “Lost”, ballads such as “Gunslinger”, and country songs such as “Dear God”. All while maintaining Avenged Sevenfold’s own unique sound.

I don’t care who you are; you cannot honestly tell me that if you were to listen to “Dear God” and then listen to a popular country song that you would think they sounded the same. If you think this is so, you are either crazy, or deaf. “Dear God” may be more country than any other song by Avenged Sevenfold, but I’m pretty sure that I’m not going to hear it on any country station any day soon.

Rant Number Four, and Final Rant:
One member is not any more important than another. Just because M. Shadows does vocals, Synyster Gates does lead guitar, and The Rev does drums, does NOT mean that, without Zacky Vengeance on rhythm guitar and Johnny Christ on bass, they could ‘survive’ as Avenged Sevenfold. Like M. Shadows said on All Excess, they are all “the best at what they do.” If it weren’t for each of them participating, they wouldn’t be who they are today, and I wouldn’t be here defending them, either.

I could go on and on for ages, but I’ll spare you and save it for another time. Now, if you want to bash me for anything I’ve said, go right ahead. I respect your opinion, but don’t come on here expecting me to ‘fight’ back. It’s not going to happen. I’ve said my peace, so say yours and be done with it.

Xox--Jess
May 12th, 2008 at 12:06pm