DON'T BLAME THE MUSIC!

Nearly everyday I hear about another teen 'emo' who has committed suicide.

It shocks me still to come online, looking to talk to friends or do some research, and I find a headline that reads: "Another Teen Suicide."

I am deeply compassionate for these teens and their families, and trust me when I say my thoughts and prayers (or lack thereof) are with them. Suicide and depression has been a part of my life ever since I was born, as I am sad to say.

But, despite my compassion, what truly appalls me the most is when these mourning families decide they need someone to point a finger at.

And do you know what I've been hearing lately?

"It was the emo-cult music they started listening to."

"Those lyrics glamorize death, and drove my child to suicide!"

Everyone, this is the truth: THE MUSIC IS NOT TO BLAME!

I'm positive these teens had a reason to do the things they did, but I can guarantee that it was not the music they listened to.

If anything, I believe these kids were depressed. Let's face it, depression is becoming of epidemic proportions here. The world we live in today isn't easy. It's stressful, almost tormenting. The best we can do as humans is comfort ourselves, and try to make things work.

Most of the bands that families are blaming (ex. My Chemical Romance, Panic at the Disco, Fall Out Boy, From First to Last, and many more), started their music career to help people. To preach their message to this world, to try and express themselves in ways not many people are able to.

Yet, here we are, taking misinturpreted lyrics and using them as an excuse to explain why somebody is six feet under.

(As incredibly cliche as it sounds) It's not about what music you listen to, or the clothes you wear.

In fact, my readers, it is about the choices you make and what kind of person you are. If you choose to hurt yourself or someone around you, regardless of repercussions, then your lifestyle is NOT TO BLAME!

Depression can affect regardless of gender, social background, income level, race, or school. It doesn't matter what your 'label' is or who you hang out with. It especially doesn't matter what music you listen to.

Here's a thought:

In the next 24 hours 1,439 teenagers will attempt suicide, 2,795 girls will become pregnant, 3,506 teens will run away (national average for this statistic), 15,006 teens will use drugs for the first time.

Do you think all those people decided to make that choice based upon what music they listened to?

1,436 teenagers will attempt suicide in the next 24 hours, and instead of seeking help, someones going to blame a band? Instead of looking for guidance, someone will take away a CD (possibly on that the teen finds comfort in?)? Instead of keeping their child safe, someone is going to file a lawsuit?

Music does have it's influences, that's a fact.

Whether you choose to act negatively or positively among those influences truly shows character.

I bet you hear speeches like this one from your parents or teachers...and you can take from it what you will...They're not one in the same.

Thank you for reading.

XXX
Ruby
May 19th, 2008 at 04:43am