The depth of humanity.

I was on the train with a friend on Sunday afternoon, when a loud group of teenagers came into the carriage and started causing a massive racket. They were cussing loudly and swearing through the train window, which in itself was very rude. When i looked at who they were making obscene gestures to, i realised what was going on.

The lone girl on the platform wore skinny black jeans and her fringe swept sharply across one eye. Her other eye, which was cast to the floor sulkily, was layered with thick black liner. She had a lip piercing and dyed black hair. Known to this generation as a textbook "emo".

The train eventually got going, and the insolent kiddies in front quietened down for a while. Well, until one of them looked back and saw me. Instant mutterings arose: "There's an emo behind us!" and "Look at the emo!".

I instantly stood up for myself, claiming that i wasn't an "emo" and that they should stop stereotyping people. I spent the rest of my 20 minute journey being hassled by a group of young teenagers who thought they knew what "emo" was. They had the cheek to talk to someone who was older than them, and to disrespect someone whom they'd never met before; all based on looks.

This behaviour is pathetic and is unfortunatly, too common for my liking. It seems there's no solution to this ever growing problem of adversity.

On Sunday, i realised the true depth of humanity; and it's more shallow than i thought.
May 21st, 2008 at 01:50am