"Talent"

I don't understand. I hate this. I hate where i live. I hate how people people act. I hate it.

My school has an upcoming talent show, and a few days ago my friend and i came to try out, along with 40 other groups. Doing totally different acts, from playing the flute, dancing, playing Mrs.Mary Mack while hopping on a pogo stick to playing an mcr song. Some had talent some were a bit rough. Our school has teachers and students that are into hip hop and rap and look down on "emo, punks and goths". We played Thank You For The Venom by My Chemical Romance. And not that i am bragging or anything, I've heard this from many, many people. We were the best act there. There were student judges and there were two adult judges. There were 40 acts that tried out and they said that they were only able to pick 15.
Everyone waited until they said who made it and who did not. The list was posted today and well, a lot of people were pissed for many reasons.

1. They only let in 10 acts instead of 15 like they said they would.

2. They said today that you had to be in a group of two or more. Which is not fair because they should have said that before we tried out.

3. They pretty much only picked the little kids (meaning 5th and 6th graders)

4.They didn't pick us because the lyrics weren't "appropriate" But they were fine with picking a group of girls who were dancing to a song that repeated "shake your body, shake that booty" and dance like whores.

5. And as arrogant as this sounds they didn't even let my friend and I in because of the song. It was because they don't like "that kind of music" and they don't like my friend and I.

6. I am okay with them letting that group of girls dancing because they have talent. But I am not okay with them not letting because of the song we picked, that has nothing to do with our talent. They didn't like the song. Fine. (Again not trying to sound cocky) But my friend and I had talent, she is a hell of a singer and I play bass fairly well, they don't have the right to not let us play because they didn't like the song its called a talentshow, they should judge on talent, not personal interest or prejudice.

7.All and all the student judges told everyone that they judged who they wanted to be in (which included my friend and i) and the teachers had something to say about every decision they made, so they basically didn't let the students choose them selfs which is what SHOULD HAVE happened.

8. Its also messed up that they would choose to let girls dance like whores to a song that tells girls to "shake their body, shake that booty" then have people sing and play a song that is addressing an issue and kids dont think about everyday that need to. They want to set a good example. Well thats an AMAZING EXAMPLE OF RATIONAL THINKING

I am not writing this to complain that we didn't get in (even thought i am very pissed off and disappointed that we didn't) I am writing this because its unfair. Not only for my friend and I, but for my other friends who sang by them selfs and the other students who were let down because they failed to tell them before hand that it had to be a group of two or more people.

I hate how people are so close minded, i hate how they think that they think that they can over power other people just because they can, and how they go against what they are supposed to be doing due to their own interests.
May 23rd, 2008 at 06:24am