Bands+Politics=Chaos

This day in age, I am hearing more and more bands open their mouths-- and their sweet music isn't coming out of them either. They're speaking out.

I should be estatic. My body is going "HELL YES! It's gonna be 1968 all over again! Is Bono going to become the new John Lennon? Is John Mayer the new Jim Morrison?!" I WANT people to speak out: against the war, against the president and the economic shithole he's gotten us in. (You cant say he hasn't either. When he was inaugurated, gas was $1.46/gal) I want them to speak out for gay rights. I want them to speak for socialized healthcare and against the man behind the machine.

To put it bluntly, I want a revolution.

So I look to the band I can always turn to: Hanson. I know, laugh all you want at the girls who did MMMBop, but they really did help me a lot throughout the past 4 years (meaning I didn't like them when MMMBop was out. so HA!) They always seemed politically to be liberal. Lately, they've been speaking out against "the man"-- meaning these monopoly, major record industries that have control of the mainstream like puppets on a string. Not saying that I won't buy off the big labels, but I do agree that we should be able to listen to what i want and not get stuck with the stupid radio. My favorite quote from Taylor Hanson HAS to be "I don't wanna be defined by bullshit, I want to be defined by stuff that gets me going!"

Lately, they've been doing "walks" at every single show this tour (their latest album being called "the walk"). They said that their trip to Africa 2 summers ago really opened their eyes to just how much we take for granted. They've been raising money at shows for a childrens hospital in Soweto, South Africa. They've been getting their fans to buy shoes because for every shoe they buy, a little kid in Africa gets a pair.

During these so-called walks, Hanson gets to socialize with their fans, who usually take the trip barefoot. Then the pictures started coming out of Zac Hanson. The little kid drummer thats now 22, married, and has a kid named Shepherd (i know, i gawked at it too). There were videos and pictures of him rolling his eyes and basically not wanting to do it anymore, while Taylor (as usual) stayed very passionate.

THEN came the bomb dropper. During one of these walks, he was talking to a fan... politically. He then came out with something that... to be quite honest, I lost all respect for him. He said: "Healthcare is a priviledge, not a right." I am usually quiet when it comes to politics, but that is ONE thing I am VERY vocal about. I don't see how a doctor can turn away a sick/dying child because his parents cant afford healthcare. The ridiculous price for healthcare-- i can see why. I live in Tennessee, and when they cut costs and basically abolished Tenncare, about 2 million people instantly came without healthcare. And most of them desperately need it. It was the only reasonably priced place. Now they have to pay $100 to go to a Minute Clinic and not even see a real doctor. People think its just people on welfare, but it's not. Doctors get shitty insurance, and they're the ones saving our lives! Most self-employed people don't get insurance. THAT's why I support Starbucks so much-- every employee is offered healthcare benefits. That's why it costs so much. My friend does hair for a living and works there part-time at night so he can get the healthcare.

I found out about this about a week ago, and I'm STILL livid. I know they have a right to speak out for their rights as well, but for some odd reason, I feel like he's ignorant about this. He's rich, therefore he has the option of healthcare for his kids, but what happens if his identity's stolen and he has to file for bankrupcy? He has a newborn child-- what will he do? Healthcare isn't easy to come by anymore unless you wanna pay 500 bucks a month for it.

I felt like a little bit of my fandom for them just... died. I cant look at Zac now as that "adorable drummer that went hot." I see "that stupid fucker who thinks healthcare is a priviledge... AND he needs to wash his hair." For a conservative, he does a lot of liberal stuff-- walking barefoot in support of poverty awareness. then again, he might just be doing it with his brothers because he has no choice. He doesn't seemed entertained by the fact at all.

I would never wish anything bad on him. I'll accept he's republican. I'll accept he's conservative. But i will NEVER agree with him.

When the music's on, I don't care about his political affiliation. That's when I'm happy. So why cant they just shut up and play their music?
May 30th, 2008 at 06:29pm