31/05/08- The Protest.

Was amazing.

Here comes a long ramble.

Okay, so being the crazy excited moi, I woke up at 4am and was unable to go sleep again. I did nothing for a couple of hours until it was time to start to get ready. I rang Alex, and surprisingly, she was up too!

Meeting her at the bus stop at 7.50am, the bus was a bit late so we feared we'd miss the train to London, but luckily we made it 5 minutes early. As the train pulled up, we spotted Allison/ Anni immediately, and went to find her in her carriage.

After chatting and laughing about her 'phail' shorts and exchanging embarassing moments for half an hour, the train pulled up at London Waterloo, from which we were taken in a car to the BBC Millbank studios to do a live radio interview, Radio 4 I think it was.

Sitting uncomfortably in a shared chair with Alex in the studio, we got extremely bored waiting. We ended up giggling hysterically again, only to be shushed by the woman who came in telling us we'd be able to hear them in a couple of minutes and on air in about 10.

When we finally were able to hear them, all it was was some boring rambling about cricket, indians, politics and all that shizz. Finally on air, Alex and I didn't speak at all; only Anni for about two minutes...I think she answered three questions.

Now being 9am, we went to another BBC studio only to be told it was the wrong one. Anni rang up the woman she was supposed to meet and we ended up following her around for 20 minutes or so, until we finally met the woman at Oxford Circus.

Taking us into the studios, she told Alex, Anni's dad and I to sit downstairs whilst we waiting anxiously for Anni to come out. We were running late.

When she finally emerged, she declared that the interview wasn't too great anyway.

So now we rushed onto the tube, already 10 minutes late, to Marble Arch. Upon arriving, we saw that there were quite a lot of people there already, but not as many as we expected. All day there would be not as many as expected.

At that moment, we spotted one of the 'Anonymous' people. He was on his own, looking slightly panicked.

Alex and I went over to talk to him, asking him twice to take off his Guy Fawkes mask, as he was ruining a good movie (V for Vendetta). Needless I say he refused.

Steven from OnMeJack productions came over and said hi, asking us for an interview. Our first one that day. We would grow sick of the same questions throughout the day.

After that, told us that he would be interviewing us at various times during the day for the documentary so he could know exactly what happened.

Anni then called us over. She told us that she was now taking the 30 people over to Derry Street, and asked us if we'd be okay here. We said we would.

All day there'd be people asking to go to Derry Street, only to have us explain that we're only allowed a certain number of people. There'd even be people making a run for it, trying to get to Derry Street.

We signed the big banner at the back.

Then we realised there'd be people at Hyde Park who didn't get the message that the protest was moved, so we went to Hyde Park but saw no protesters. I'd later be told that there was about thirty there, thinking that the people who told them it was going to be at Marble Arch were part of a conspiracy.

Singing broke out, to escalate to chanting. We had to stop it when it got to chanting, for fear that we would get into trouble for disturbing peace.

Then we noticed there were more Anons on the other side of the street. They held up signs saying 'celebrity worship serious business', 'emo mcr', 'mcr lol', 'emos did 9/11'(which Kate grabbed and ripped up... I think she was justified in doing that), and 'mass suicide at 10pm'. I went over and chatted/argued. It was fun.

After a while, they seemed to take the 'if you can't beat them, join them' approach. They came over, and we got hugs off most of them and some took off their masks. They also started a conga line

Alex and I then went to talk to sock dude; this dude in this lycra head sock thing that he said took him four hours to make, so he'd prefer if we didn't call it a sock.

He's still sock dude to us. We found out he's french, lives in London but is going back to France in two months, is 20 years old and his name is David.

Police turned up; three riot vans. We panicked, and asked the police what was wrong. Turns out that the riot vans weren't for us, but for the calvalry that was going to come through Marble Arch. We planned to move everyone to the grass, but then we were told that the horses would go around Marble Arch instead, because it's easier.

Some pricks set a Daily Mail on fire, which we then had to angrily put out.

But the highlight of my day was meeting Brigitte from TasteiTTV. She asked us if she could interview us and also gave the four of us tasteiTTV badges! They're impossible to find. She also told us to keep in contact. It was great.

WE GOT HUGS OFF BRIGITTE! *dances*

I was so tired when I got home that I went to bed five hours earlier than usual.

So, among interviews, fire, socks, getting lost and meeting some amazing people, it was all around an amazing day. I'd give anything for it to be yesterday again.

Tasteit's myspace, where you can talk to the team
June 1st, 2008 at 01:17pm