Isra Newton Page.

So this is something I'm doing for Isra, my character in a co written story and I just thought this might keep him accurate in my mind's eye. So I dont sidetrack and make him uber Gary Stu or something. I hope this is okay with the mods. If it's not I can take it down or whatever. And to my co authors, this is in no sense or form, how the storyline might go. I just needed something to work with.

***

I walked over to the phone booth, glancing around first to see that Leon was on his cellphone still. Once confirmed, I inserted a few coins in through the slot and dialled the number etched at the back of my eyes. Before the second ring could end, I heard the click of whomever on the other line picking the phone up.

“Hey ma,” there was a loud intake of breath from the other side. I bit on my bottom lip, waiting. And then it came.

“Isra Newton Page, where are you! It’s been weeks oh God. Come back home kid. Where are you?” I could hear her every emotion as it washes over me. I could see her in my mind’s eye, clutching the phone to her ear, in her ratty baby blue night robe, her hair dishevelled from being woken up. I felt an ache in my chest, hearing her voice. I didn’t want to leave her. “Is, where are you doll? I can come pick you up.”

“No mom. Please don’t come for me. I wanna stay here.” I felt like a kid begging for permission. She would always look out for me, my mom. Why did I leave her?

“Where exactly is here sweetheart?” she asked in that soft, placating tone. I wanted to pour my heart out to her; every sleepless moment that I had to suffer through; every waking hour scrounging up money for this expensive city. But I had to stop myself from worrying her. I only called her to tell her where I am.

“New York City mom,” again I waited to hear that shock gasp from miles away. I wasn’t surprised to hear it but I was disappointed at myself. Good job Isra, scare her even more now.

“But honey, that city’s dangerous. Oh please come back sweetheart. I can drive over to pick you up. Please just. You need to stay with me at home Is. You need to be watched.” It was my turn to sigh into the mouthpiece. My breath came out in a white puff of air.

“No ma. Please. I just called to tell you, I got help here. I found someone; people who can help me sleep again. “There was a short silence while she digested what I told her. In that span of two seconds my guilt magnified tenfold.

“Hunny, they can’t help you. Please come back. Ma can do it better. Isra you’ve only been there for a week. You don’t even know them!”

“But ma, I have a feeling about this. I’ll come back when I’m cured; I will. They can help me. I can be normal. Please ma.” Discreetly, I glanced around. Leon had his back facing me, phone still pressed against his ear. I would not be heard.

“Are they professionals Newton? Can they medicate you better?”

Hunched against the phone booth, I felt the first flutter of annoyance at my mother. I instantly chided myself at that. She was just looking out for me.

“No ma, they’re just people. But they know how to help me. They can help me make it better.”

Before she had a reply ready, I felt a warm presence behind me just as I heard Leon say, “Help you with what?”

Instantly, I felt myself clam up. I gave him a weak smile and babbled into the phone over what my mom had to say.

“I have to go now mom. Sorry but that’s all yeah? I love you and I’ll be okay, I promise.”

“Isra, is that them? The ones that are helping you? Baby, they don’t even know what they’re helping, Isra please!” I didn’t hear my sweet mother’s pleas as I hanged up the receiver.

I turned back to Leon and gestured to the car, consciously aware of his shrewd eyes. He was staring at me, figuring me out, and I had to duck from the piercing glare. Finally, he jerked his head, and with our bags, we drove off to the new apartment with Melinda Cook, whoever she is.
June 7th, 2008 at 12:57pm