Public Speaking: opinions?

This is just something that makes me angry, and I feel like telling someone about it.
Lucky you. :-)

In about a week, my art class is being forced to do a presentation about an artist of our choice, and we've been told that we HAVE to speak during this presentation - we can't just show a powerpoint or a poster.

(We've finished all our exam stuff for this year, so we have no work to do until september. This is just one of those 'fun' end of year things that teachers make us do. We won't get graded on it, it doesn't count for anything important.)

I am TERRIFYED of public speaking. Everyone is scared of something, and this is my thing. Since year seven, people have been telling me that I'll get used to it, and over time it won't frighten me anymore. Well, six years later, it still scares me shitless. And it also makes me REALLY angry.

I don't see why anyone should be able to force me to do anything that I don't want to do, so I made this poweroint thing to show before my presentation. (Which is a powerpoint as well, and I won't speak during it.)

slide 1: Before I start my
presentation, there is
something I want everyone
to understand.

slide 2: You may think that
this is a stupid or pathetic
thing to get angry
about, and you are entitled
to your opinion.

But this is mine...

slide 3: If we have freedom of
speech, then I believe that
we have the freedom
NOT to speak as well.

slide 4: All fear is irrational.
People who have a fear of
public speaking should be treated
the same as people who, for
example, are claustrophobic...

slide 5: ...And no-one forces
claustrophobic people to stand
in small, enclosed spaces.

slide 6: Which is why I won’t be
forced to speak during this
presentation.

So what do you think? Am i being completely pathetic to be so frightened of it?
And will I get my head bashed by my art teacher?

- Isabelle xxx
June 9th, 2008 at 11:12pm