some thoughts concerning music and a modern hypocrissy

well i've recently been listening to classic 80's goth-rock, being the big smelly makeup wearer that i am!...

anyway, listening to the likes of Bauhaus, the Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, and of course the Sisters of Mercy.... it sorta dawned on me, since essentially the early goth-rock bands were all taking aspects of Post-Punk and going a bit darker with it...

and since Indie/Alternative Rock comes almost directly from Post-Punk.... does that mean that Indie is closer to Goth than what people see as Goth nowadays?

i mean admittedly, most people confuse Black Metal, Death Metal, and Gothic Metal.... thats something that's annoyed me a bit... if someone says to you "Aren't Cradle of Filth Goth music?" and then attempt to emulate a death-growl... slap them... admitedly i'm in an opinionative mood and goths do listen to cradle sometimes... although i'd disagree with their musical taste, much preferring my Black-Metal a la Darkthrone...

and Gothic Metal itself came about due to Death/Doom bands like Paradise Lost, Anathema, and My Dying Bride.... which, apart from vocal style and use of keyboards, don't sound much like the first Goths (e.g. Bauhaus)...

so are we going to have to change the definitions of all these things to help us all know what the hell we're talking about? or just go along with whatever Wikipedia says?

answers on a Comment... or a postcard.... perhaps made out of a Fairy Liquid Bottle.
June 11th, 2008 at 08:29pm