A Cure For Retinitis Pigmentosa

So as you guys may or may not know, my brother has an eye disease called Retinitis Pigmentosa. There's been no cure up until now, so this is really, really big news and it means a lot to me. Read it or not, just spread the word(: GAH, this is amazingly amazing.

The Controversy

Earlier this November, scientists from the University College London Institutes of Ophthalmology and Child Health and Moorfields Eye Hospital were able to restore vision to blind lab mice. This scientific breakthrough signifies that millions of people with optical conditions such as macular degeneration (loss of sight experienced by the elderly), diabetic retinopathy, and a variety of other forms of blindness could be able to regain sight through a remarkably simple procedure. However, the fact that the procedure requires stem cells from foetuses—currently viewed as a highly controversial method by many politicians—has prevented this procedure from becoming more publicized in the U.S.

The Breakthrough

Researchers have identified certain cells on the margin of adult retinas that are similar to stem cells. Additionally, retinal cell replacement may be the most effective method of "cell transplant therapy because photoreceptor loss initially leaves the rest of the wiring to the brain intact". In other words, major surgical reconstruction is not necessary. Any surgical procedure would only involve the superficial layer of the retina and not the particularly sensitive optic nerve wiring at the back of the eye. However, in order to attain human retinal cells at the necessary stage of development, stem cells would need to be extracted from a foetus during the second trimester of pregnancy. Because stem cells are able to proliferate and develop into many other types of cells within the human body, they can be extracted from any part of the foetus. However, the timing is imperative if the procedure is to work.

Repairing the Cornea

In August of 2003, Mike May, a Californian man who had been left blind for 40 years as the result of an accident that happened when he was three years old had his vision restored. Though the vision in his left eye was permanently lost, he could still sense light with his right eye. Researchers implanted corneal and limbal stem cells into his right eye. Five months after the surgery, May was able to sense movements and recognize simple shapes. After two years, he was able to see forms, color, and motion nearly accurately. His 3D perception and face and object recognition remained impaired, though his ability to sense motion was the best restored visual faculty.

Like photoreceptors, the cornea is responsible for channelling light through the eye's surface. The corneal surface refracts to provide 2/3 of the eye's focusing power. he corneal surface is entirely transparent and not lined with blood vessels, so the uniformity of cells may contribute to its ability to regenerate more rapidly than other cells in the human body. On the other hand, it is extremely sensitive. There are more nerve endings on the cornea than anywhere else on the human body. The cells that compose the layers of the cornea are found to regenerate at a rapid pace, though less rapid than photoreceptor cells. Again, a simple surgical procedure, most of which is processed by human mechanisms, could restore sight to millions of people if only the procedure were to be legalized.

- - - - - - - - -

'again, a simple surgical procedure, most of which is processed by human mechanisms, could restore sight to millions of people if only the procedure were to be legalized'

how incredible is that?!?!
gahh,this makes me so so happy<33(:
June 15th, 2008 at 08:48pm