The Foo Fighters: Wembley Stadium, Wembley Park, London - Saturday 7th June 2008

Support: The Futureheads & Supergrass

We arrived at our hotel at approximately 1:40pm on Saturday; each one of us tired yet extremely excited about the event we were going to be witness to later on. There were six of us; myself and my husband, my sister and her fiancé. We were just waiting for 2 more; Claire and her husband Ian.

Bags were taken to rooms and then we descended upon the hotel bar for a well deserved drink. It's been quite a stressful week for my sister and I so far (read the journal about my Nan), so we were definitely going to make sure that we had a bit of a blow out. We ordered our drinks at the bar and sat down and waited for our friends to arrive. By 3:00pm (ish) had joined us in the bar, sans drinks. My husband received a text message from one of his friends who had been to see the Foo's on Friday night saying that Led Zeppelin were rumoured to be joining the them on stage tonight. I was speechless; if this was true, this gig really would be historic! We all got up and finally started to make our way to Wembley Stadium.

The tube was extremely busy; everyone eagerly anticipating the gig. The Wembley Walk was throbbing with activity and you could already feel the buzz.

We found our block, row and seat and settled in. Unfortunately, we had already missed the first support band, The Futureheads, so we sat there and waited for Supergrass to hit the stage. My sister and I love them, so this was a real treat.

Supergrass put on an amazing set; this is rock and roll. It was like listening to a 'best of' so to speak. They played some firm fan favourites including 'Moving', 'Caught By The Fuzz', 'Pumping On Your Stereo', 'Late In The Day', and 'Sun Hits The Sky' (amongst others) and of course, the crowd went wild to 'Alright'. The sun was out and the crowd were rocking; what more could you ask for? Well, the Foo Fighters, of course?

Zane Lowe (Radio One) carried on the rocking theme by playing an amazing DJ set and the crowd were going crazy. Now, you've got to think that at this point the stadium was filling up very quickly, and bodies were being pulled out from the front one after the other practically. What a shame for the people who had probably queued overnight to get their spot at the barrier to see the gig of the year. The last song was played, and to be honest, I can't remember what it was; all I was concerned about was the main event.

The stage (which would be revolving later on) was set. The crowd heard the first bars of 'The Pretender' and that was it; chaos!

Forgive me if I don't get the track list in exact order; on occasions such as this, things go by so quickly and in a blur that it's sometimes difficult to remember the particulars in detail. They played quite a lot of the new album, 'Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace' which included: 'Cheer Up Boys (Your Make Up Is Running', 'Let It Die', 'Come Alive' and I'm pretty sure they played 'Summer's End'. The crowd went berserk when they played 'Long Road To Ruin'.

'All My Life' and 'Times Like These' blew the crowd's minds; 'Monkey Wrench' and 'My Hero' were absolutely stunning live and the acoustic style version of 'Everlong' (in which Dave took centre spot on the runway) almost reduced me to tears. My sister and I screamed our hearts out to 'Stacked Actors' – "Line up all the bastards, all I want is the truth!". I practically killed my throat as I screamed through 'Breakout' and 'Learn To Fly' went down very well indeed. We also said a huge hello to Pat Smear.

Dave Grohl and Taylor Hawkins have an amazing rapport with their audience and the banter throughout the gig was warm and extremely funny. Through the latter part of the gig, as promised, the stage revolved so that everyone in the crowd got a glimpse of their idols. Our Led Zep rumours were half true; out of the blue Dave announced that the legend that is Jimmy Page would be joining them onstage for a bit of a surprise. Mr Grohl hopped on the drums and Taylor Hawkins grabbed to mic to take on lead vocals. Then, yes, here was Jimmy Page walking up the ramp; cue the biggest roar of the night! The opening bars to 'Rock and Roll' (probably my second favourite Led Zep song ever) knocked me out. I could not believe it; I was in heaven – someone pinch me!

After more Foo hits, the show was almost drawing to the end. The encore was here before we all knew it. I promised my best mate Sarah that I would phone her when 'Best Of You' was played, so at the opening bars of it, I found her on my call history list and pressed call. I held my phone aloft and sang at the top of my lungs, along with the other 85,999 fans in the audience. This was my dedication to my best friend; she's helped through such a lot over the last few months and she'll never know how much she means to me.

At the end of the gig, the band put down their instruments and sticks (Taylor) and shot to the front of the stage. They put their arms around each other's shoulders and just stared, mouths agape, at the thousands and thousands of fans who were cheering, screaming, whooping, baying, clapping and stamping in response to one of the best gigs ever seen! It all got a bit emotional for the band, especially Dave Grohl who could not thank the throngs of fans enough and said that this was the best gig they'd ever played; the best gig of their life. There wasn't a dry eye in the house when Dave finally broke down; bloody hell, we were all with you mate.

I can honestly, undoubtedly, truly say that this is one of the best gigs I have ever had the pleasure to be part of. I mean exactly that - part of; it wasn't just a band playing to a crowd, it was an amazing band playing to their friends. We all felt like friends of the band and as much as this was a monstrous place, the Foo's somehow managed to keep it intimate.
It'd take a lot to beat this gig; you know, maybe My Chem headlining Wembley Stadium? They'd fill it; no problem.

Thanks to the Foo Fighters for giving me one of the best nights of my life; you ROCK!
June 20th, 2008 at 10:58pm