Claire's funeral

I travelled down to Bolton today for Claire's funeral. I got the 6.15am bus to Edinburgh so I could catch the 8.21am train to Bolton to get me down there for 11.58am - in plenty time for the service at 1pm.

It was peeing it down with rain. I met Andrew and Laura (2 of her carers that I had met before) again and Andrew thanked me for coming.

We all went into the West Chapel at Overdale Crematorium. My first impression was wow this is dignified and respectful compaired to Mortonhall Crematorium in Edinburgh. It was warm, colourful and elegant compaired to Mortonhall's cold,stoney uninviting place.

They played a couple of songs (which I can't really remember) read two readings chosen specifically for Claire, prayed and her Dad Tony got up and spoke about her and he also read out a poem that Claire's friend Crystal from New York sent across as she couldn't make it herself.

We then all left by the back of the chapel (rather than going out the way we came in) and it was then I met Claire's dad Tony. He was really nice and I take my hat off to him to how well he kept it together and tried to give support to everyone who turned up.

I had to rush off tho as I had to catch the 14.05 train back to Edinburgh but I do plan to write letters that can hopefully be passed onto Tony and Andrew to say what I didn't have time to today. This way it also gives me a chance to get my thoughts straight in my head.
June 26th, 2008 at 11:28pm