Taste of Chicago

Today I was woken up extremely early by my mother because we had planned to go to the Taste of Chicago today (I live about an hour outside of Chicago), and boy did we get a taste. The taste of Chicago is this huge festival in downtown Chicago with a town of food. So I got up and got ready and uploaded a few videos to youtube, which my mother complained that I should have been getting ready instead of being on my computer. My mother took forever to get ready and then we went to the train station. I didn't know that we were taking the train in (which is the most logical way to go to The Taste), and I freaked out because I hate trains. The train to go into Chicago is always extremely loud, dirty, and shakey. So we got on the train and decided which booths we wanted to go to. For some odd reason my mom wanted a barbeque turkey leg. When we got to the train station at Chicago we saw my mom's aunt there and her uncle. I have not once in my life (that I remember) seen her uncle. Supposedly he doesn't like being around people, and never goes to any family events. I know this is weird but that made my day (that and getting a free sample of advil at the train station). For years I have been asking my mom about her uncle and why he never comes out of his house, and today I finally saw him. My life is complete, haha, just kidding.

So we walked from the train station to The Taste and my mother immediately went to get a rainbow cone, it's this ice cream cone with a ton of different flavors of ice cream. I hate rainbow cones because they include that green ice cream, which is pistachio, which is gross. And then we went to look at the barbeque turkey leg and it was enormous so my mother decided not to get it. I then went to a polish booth and got potato pancakes. They were pretty good. They were huge and I couldn't eat it all (which is surprising because usually everything is really small) so I gave some to my mom. We walked around a bit, and then I got a brownie sundae and she got a pulled turkey barbeque sandwich. So we went and sat down to eat the food and all these homeless people kept coming up to us and asking if we had any food tickets or money to spare, and we didn't at that time and I felt bad. So then I suddenly became nauseous and needed to find a bathroom and all we found were portapottys so I went in one of those. I didn't throw up and the whole experience in the portapotty was terrible.

Then my mother and I decided to get some pop (soda, for all of you not in illinois). We both got a pepsi and decided that we were ready to leave so while we were leaving we gave a homeless man the four food tickets that we still had. So now I am back at home red and tired. It was a pretty good day though. Ugh, but I have to work tomorrow.
July 4th, 2008 at 01:54am