New English speech

Yup, were alowed to do it whatever we want. Of cores the obvious thing to choose was MCR. But i put a little twist on it

In late September 2007, Hannah Bond was found hanging by a tie from her bunk bed. Most people in this room know who Hannah Bond was, but if you didn't Hannah was a thirteen-year-old school girl from Kent. She claimed to be an 'Emo' and cut herself, telling her parents it was 'Part of an emo initiation' and that she would never do it again. During a fight with her mother Hannah shouted "I feel like killing myself" To which her mum replied, "Don't be silly" and sent her off to her room. An hour later when she went to check on her daughter Mrs. Bond found her hanging from the top rail of the bunk bed. Newspapers like 'The daily mail' and 'The sun' did small reports after the death, but nothing to Major, that was until May 2008 when her death was looked into. Hannah had been on sites where she boasted about cutting herself, and had very graphic images on her bebo page. The daily mail did a report on this, entitled 'Why no child is safe from the sinister cult of emo' Throughout which they blamed the music she listened to on her death, and notably one band was singled out for making this music.
My chemical romance.

This paper already had a fall out with this band, when in August 2006 they did a report on Emo, calling MCR 'a death cult' Singer Gerard way had more then a few things to say about it, and on stage at the reading festival he shouted 'They wrote an article calling people that listen to our music, or fans of this band a cult. Do you believe how ignorant that is? And that we promote suicide and self-harm in our lyrics. You guys know that nothing is worth hurting yourself over. Nothing is worth taking your life. Do you understand?" He then went on to make the crowd chant something, that I'm not allowed to say right here.

So after that incident the band and The daily mail didn't really get along, and when The daily mail found out that Hannah liked them, they saw a golden opportunity to get parents against the band. They wrote "My Chemical Romance made it to No.1 in the UK chart with Welcome To The Black Parade in October 2006 - the 'black parade' is a place where all emos believe they will go when they die" Which, in my opinion was the funniest thing i had ever read, no one ever said the black parade was a real place. It was a fictional concept, used for the bands latest album. After that the paper was flooded with letters of complaint from fans and parents of fans, asking why they were blaming the band. Some people even told them how the band had saved there life. They then went on to claim that there report was fair and in the public interest. Which made fans more angry, because of the lies they were now telling. Sixteen-year-old Anni Smith organized a peaceful protest of the fans, who were to meet outside the daily mail offices on May 31ST. 300+ fans turned up and protested at marble arch, they were only allowed 50 people outside the offices at a time due to safety issues. Reporters from many magazines and online blogs and news reporters showed up to view this event and get reports from participants. Channel 4 even went as far as to put it on the evening news. Although people claimed the protest was defending the 'emo' label, it in fact wasn't. Most people at the protest hated the emo label.

After the success of the protest The daily mail seemed more determined to get the band into trouble and soon reported on two more suicides. Both by hanging and both were MCR fans. The first suicide, was the one of Thirteen-year-old Sam Leeson, but according to other tabloids this was due to the fact he had been heavily bullied. But not the Daily mail, they, yet again mentioned that he liked the band and there 'Angst-ridded' music. Sam's mother then spoke to 'The sun' and made it clear that she didn't think the music was responsible for her suns death.

So the Daily mail tried again, this time it was Twelve-year-old Rachel Jarvis, but there was something strange about this one. Rachel committed suicide in January, and following 8 previous suicide attempts. Rachel was apparently suffering from depression, and that was the cause of the death. But no, yet again The daily mail tried to pin the blame stating 'Rachel was obsessed with suicide cult band My chemical romance'

The truth is, this sort of thing hapens every day. The daily mail are just trying to get attention. And It seems that they will never give up on this, but the More they try and blame the band. The more we are going to defend them

I have to present it tomorrow, im pretty confident about it. I just hope i get a good mark. Wish me luck

X
Amy-Faye
July 9th, 2008 at 05:54pm