THE DANCE CREW: STATUS QUO!!!

Status Quo grew up in some of Boston’s roughest neighbourhoods and found salvation in hip-hop dance. Presently, members of the group, Status Quo, are trying to survive their toughest challenge yet; capturing first place in MTV’s “Randy Jackson presents…America’s Best Dance Crew” competition. A reality TV show containing nine of the country’s best, most energetic and young dance crews. This showdown is offering a top prize of 100,000 dollars in addition to a shot at showbiz stardom.

Episodes of America’s Best Dance Crew are taped on Tuesday’s in Los Angeles and for broadcasting show times it’s on, Thursday’s and Sunday’s at ten p.m. on Much Music. Status Quo made it to the Season Finale of the show!!! Their competition is not only to beat theirs rivals, the ‘Jabba Wockeez’ which is another hip-hop and b-boy dance crew who also made it to the Finale. But it is also to impress the three judges of the show. Successful and female rapper; Lil’ Mama, former member of the ‘pop’ boy band N’SYNC; J.C Chasez and hip-hop choreographer who was the co-choreographer of the 2004 up-beat movie, ‘You Got Served’, Shane Sparks. These three panel judges praise and begin channelling their inner, Simon Cowell.

I admire all of the members of the dance crew, Status Quo because they are all funny, wacky and incredibly spectacular hip-hop dancers. Status Quo includes six unique dancers.

Joshua Green is twenty years old and grew up in Boston, Massachusetts. A movie, his friends nor a professional dancer was his source of inspiration for his dancing career. It was his loving grandma who gave him encouragement and an extra spoon of sugar to make him pursue his dream.

Ernest Phillips, also known as, ‘E-Knock’, is twenty-one years old and was raised in Boston Massachusetts. E-Knock’s main gain from America’s Best Dance Crew is not only to win the Championship, as well as to have a general learning experience and to show kids that they can follow their dream.

Jayjion Greer, also known as, ‘Jin Lao’, is eighteen years old and was brought up in Boston, Massachusetts. Jin wasn’t a dancer nor was he thinking about becoming one. He was just the camera man for Status Quo. Until one day, his brother asked him if he wanted to dance and that was the day when Jin found his inner talent.

Jamal Weaver, also known as, ‘Big Boy’, is twenty years old and also grew up in Boston, Massachusetts. A specific family member was Big Boy’s source of inspiration for his dancing career. His little brother, Dante. Dante was the first one who told him to do what he wanted to, no matter what anyone said. Dante is the reason why Big Boy still dances today. Unfortunately, Dante passed away a few years ago, but Dante will forever be in Jamal’s heart.

Dwayne Hines is eighteen years old and was also raised in Boston, Massachusetts. Dwayne describes himself as; kind of quiet and shy but he is tremendously confident and fun while he is with his dance crew and on the dance floor showing everybody the fantastic talent he has.

Darvis Rutledge is twenty-one years old and was also brought up in Boston, Massachusetts. Out of the dance crew, Status Quo, Jin is the fellow member who inspires Darvis the most because Jin is different and has his own style in dancing. That, inspired Darvis to create his own individual style in dancing.

Status Quo is admirable and special to me because they are not only my favourite dance crew in the show but also for the reason that they helped me. All of the members of Status Quo have helped me find my inner confidence that I never thought I could find. Thanks to Status Quo, I will hold onto my confidence forever.

I look up to and respect Status Quo because they are amazingly wonderful dancers. I want to dance exactly like them in hopes that people will look at me differently and call me a great dancer. I am already a dancer. I take the Dance course here, at Lester B. Pearson. On the contrary, the dance moves that Mr. Darling does in dance class are not really my style. I don’t like to do pirouettes, jazz techniques or ballet positions. I prefer to do hip-hop. I only dance like my self whenever I am with my friends because I am afraid of what people in my dance class might say. I know that my friends won’t judge me about the way I dance and that there is a larger probability of the people in my dance class judging me. I also wish to become a dance teacher as an occupation when I’m older, which means that I will someday show my true passion in dancing and my true dance moves to everyone. The worst that can happen is people giving me dirty looks, insulting me or judging me. I will not let these people who insult me tear me down and take away my confidence. Like the old saying, “Whatever you say to me, can only make me stronger.” People say that dancing is about the talent you have, where you’re from and the clothes you wear. I believe that, that is all a lie. For me, dancing is a way to express yourself and your talent. Dancing isn’t about the talent you have; it’s about what you make, of the talent you have. I honestly don’t know why many people call one group dancing verses another group, a ‘Dance-Off’. Seriously, I mean what are they fighting over? Turf, power, respect? I’ve seen people win in Dance-Off’s and their lives stay the same. Yes, they might get more respect than the group that lost, but I still don’t understand why people call it a ‘Dance-Off’. To me, it just doesn’t make sense, fighting over turf, power, respect or who has the better dance moves. Every dancer has their own individual and unique style, dance moves and persona.

Status Quo has inspired me to a level that I never thought existed. I cannot thank Status Quo enough for having an enormous impact on my life and my dancing. They are the reason why I dance like myself and why I don’t care what other people think of me or my dancing, regardless if they are in my dance class or not. I dance the way I dance today, thanks to Status Quo!!!
July 19th, 2008 at 09:45pm