It's sad.

I know I haven't been on this site as long as some people, but I have been here long enough for my favorite authors delete their stuff and/or leave the site all together. Sometimes, I can understand why they want to leave. Maybe the site has too many rules and limits what one can write. Last time I checked, you cannot put a limit on creativity. But apparently, some people feel it is their duty to put limits to what we can do. It bugs me.

Although, it's not just the limit that is put on us. It's the fact that there are some real assholes out there that will steal people's hard work and put their name on it. Even stories and poems that have been done before for years are stole and marked as the thieves own. That's messed up, fucked up, and anything else you can think of.

There are so many different things someone can write about; original, original slash, original and a celebrity, fan-fiction, celebrity-celebrity slash, etc.

I do write fan-fiction, but mine has plots that I have sat down and really thought about, maybe even asking for a friend or generous reader's advice on what to do next. I give credit, though. I wouldn't do all that work and then just give myself all the credit.

I'd love to post something other then fan-fiction. I have an original story that I started on paper, with a busted pencil. My friend helped me continue it. Almost three years later, we have over fifty main characters when the original main characters only consisted of about five people. One of our characters has a past, a bad past. I've even written out something about him, but I'm afraid to post it on here. I don't want someone to steal OUR stuff. My friend and I have worked hard, thought hard, typed hard, cried, laughed, been pissed off during the time we've been writing this story. Another reason why I won't post it, I exceeded the limits I have been given.

But I don't think I will be driven to the point of deleting my work and leaving. I've worked too hard for the past four years to just give up writing all together. I use these other authors as inspiration. I read their stuff and I am just left in complete awe because I want to be able to write like they do. But it's really sad when they leave and take their work with them with not another word to anyone.

I guess you do what you have to. I just wish some people wouldn't delete their work and then perhaps leave. You have no idea how great your work really is. But that's a choice that only you can make, no one else.
July 21st, 2008 at 09:23pm