My Three MALE Hamsters Had Babies! Not Even Joking!

Okay, so I thought I'd be so lovely as to share my story of three hamsters I had a few years back.

I was twelve or thirteen and for some reason I really wanted some hamsters so my mum let me buy some (with my own money though :@).

In the store, I asked like five times if they were definitely all male and she said they were.

So...anyray, two of the started fighting but not just brotherly fighting, proper fighting. Eventually I had to seperate them into different cages and I took the weaker one out at night and left him with the other two in the day (so they wouldn't reject him).

One day, I went to a sleepover and totally forgot to seperate them and only realized at about three in the morning.

The next day, I went home and the weaker one had a huge gash in its leg. I had to permenantly seperate it and hope it healed up. However the next day its claws/toes had fallen off, the day after that its foot fell off and the day after that its whole leg fell off! We then took it to the vets and it was put down.

So, all peaceful in the hamster cage.

For a few weeks.

Until ...

I go to clean out the cage and I lift the bed up and there's six or seven little baby hamsters in there. I still laugh trying to imagine my face...

I was like 'errrr, mum? I think my male hamsters had babies' and she just started laughing at me. Until I showed her.

So anyray, we looked it up on the internet and decided the best thing to do was leave them be and take out the real male one so they couldn't make any more babies...

So nobody was allowed to disturb the mum and her babies just in case she rejected them.

Then a couple of days later, I was holding the male one and it just stopped breathing in my hands ... seriously, I didn't do anything. I was just like 'eeerrm, mum...'

So that just left the mum and her babies. So, a few days later when we thought the babies were old enough, we lifted the house to check on them and they weren't there!

The mum had eaten her babies!!!!!!

There was like a head left though! That made me laugh when I saw it :lmfao

Then a few days later the mum died, probably because she ate her babies!

It turns out the two males were fighting over who got the female even though the person promised us they were all male!

I am never ever getting hamsters again!

Sorry for boring you with that!
July 24th, 2008 at 06:45pm