This REALLY DOES only Happen In Fanfiction

-sorry about the title kate, no ideas, really. im too distracted.............-
This is a story of what happened on the night of July 23. But, before i get into this, if you want to hear a story of what only seems to happen in fanfiction, then read on. or if your Bellz and you just moved to Indiana, because i HAVE to gloat to her. hehe....
It started at 5:20pm when Kate and myself were getting dropped off at Warehouse Live for the Phantom Planet concert that i'd been crazily excited for since getting the tickets about three weeks previously. The only thing... nobody was there. Suddenly, i hear Kate say, 'isn't that alex and darren?' and i screamed semi quietly, and bolted out of the car, followed by Katlyn and [sadly] my mother. We started talking about how they'd been to Japan a few days before and then my mom was like 'well im scared to leave them' [its a very sketchy part of town] and then Alex said the words that made my heart beat faster than i'd have thought possible. 'Well, they could come to soundcheck with us.'
yes. that actually happened. then he said 'i mean, it'd be boring' which Katlyn and I quickly said 'that would be amazing' and my mom left us to attempt opening doors with no found luck. we went around back, passing the van as we passed Joe, their merch guy, who Alex introduced us [by name] to. Then we found the only door not locked, and alex said 'thank god! a door that opens!' so Alex told Jeff and Sam 'this is katlyn and liz, and their going to watch sound check and hang out with us'.
So they started playing a song i recognized to be from their new album, so i started singing along. [i dont remember what song right now] then they looked over at us, and we grinned, gave two thumbs up each and said 'amazing' then they played 'Leave Yourself For Somebody Else', which was also amazing. Then Alex looked at us and asked 'Do you have any requests?' and i said 'um... confess?' because i knew it was an acoustic song. Alex said 'Well, thats an acoustic song, but i think we can rock through it.'
So they did.
Then, we requested Ship Lost At Sea, which Alex said was 'for Katlyn and Liz' It was glorious.
After they finished, they talked for a bit, and then alex and darren came over and asked if we had tickets, because they talked to security and could put us on the list if we didn't. well, we did, but that was extremely nice. and then they did this weird hips-shaking dance move thing and said they would be headed to the pub next door and we could chill out here until the show started.
So they left, and we called people and gloated and giggled, because we'd been playing it cool the whole time.
The singer, Shane, of the Austin, Texas band Electric Touch, who were opening, came and handed us two of their Free CD's before they did their soundcheck.
So, after they too left, we went and chatted with Joe, merchie, about Garden State and Scrubs and Merch-ing. Then, as people began to enter through the front doors [that we only left through. haha suckers!!] we took places front/center.
The thing about where it was, there was No security, and no barrier. It. Was. Awesome.
So, Electric Touch came on with great chemistry, and started with some technical difficulties, but played amazingly. Katlyn and i got to talk to them after the show because they were with the merch, promoting and the drummer wished me luck on my audition [which went better than i thought it would] today, and the singer remembered us from sound check. oh and the drummer's brother, aka guitarist had a thing for grinding with his guitar. and the singer grabbed his crotch like four times.
So phantom planet came and did their tuning and stuff, during which i briefly talked to Alex from my convenient spot right by his microphone. Then they went away, when Katlyn told me to grab the luggage tag [dont ask...] that said 'Darren Robinson' which also had a VERY faded sticker that im almost positive was Sam's from Japan.
so they came out with a hand written set list [that they sort of kind of followed...] which i ended up stealing as well. hehe i know, I'm such a theif. After the first song, Alex asked Darren where the setlist for the front row was, and darren pointed at it by the drums, and alex moved it right in front of him, which is how i stole it. only downside was that some of the beer the audience kept giving them had spilled on it, so its very crumpled on one side from that.
well the list reads: Always, raise, by the red, quarantine, ship, know it all, panic, geronimo, dropped, cali. But they would hear songs shouted from the crowd and just play them randomly. So i remember that, after one song, he told us that 'we were awesome' and someone shouted 'no, you're awesome!' and they had an argument over who was more awesome, and then alex said 'say it one more time' and they did, and he mocked stabbing the person with his guitar.
Oh, and first Darren broke a guitar string. Then Alex broke one. Then Alex broke another one, so they ended up using one from Electric Touch.
I remember about halfway through i made a note on my phone that read 'Thank you!!!!!' at 9:43pm, and he read it and said into the mic 'i've never had someone show me a message when i'm two feet in front of them' In my defense, i was almost deaf and didn't know if he could hear me at all.
Before, i think, Quarantine, he said 'the title of this song is I Fucked Darren's Mom' to which Jeff did that drum thing that happens with cheesey jokes, and they laughed about that for a while, just kinda talking.
when they played Ship Lost At Sea, Alex looked at us, and said 'We played this song for these two ladies in front of me [he pointed at us] earlier' then explained the song and they played it.
I was so happy then, and the show wasn't even over.
Alex came out, alone and played I Don't Mind, and then the whole band came and they tried to play a cover that only Jeff, the drummer, knew. poor Alex, he was like 'i dont know the words to this verse, oh yeah!'
During their encore, i yelled 'Leader' and since i was close to him, he heard me so he said 'who knows the chorus to Leader?' i raised my hand proudly with a few others. He said 'if you know the chorus, come up here and sing with us.
Yeah. Katlyn practically shoved me on stage, and Alex told me and a guy to go to Sam's mic, and two other girls to go to Darren's. IT WAS INCREDIBLE. i had no idea how my pitch sounded from being deaf, but i'd like to think that my voice lessons and theatre obsession made it sound decent. I remember Katlyn telling me she 'felt like a proud mother' she took a million pictures for me, of the whole show, which I LOVE HER FOR. [i know youre reading this, remembering it] Sam came next to me at one point, and some of his sweat fell on me. it was gross and awesome at the same time. i also remember Shane's sweat getting on me and Katlyn during the beginning of the show.
Anyway, after the song, i jumped off stage, which was super fun, to my spot again.
During the last song, Alex had promised he would jump in the crowd, and we'd have a dance party. They played, and had a SUPER LONG guitar part, and then he took off the guitar and took the mic in his hands, and stood in front of us for what seemed like twenty minutes, and he jumped in [pretty much right behind us] and started jumping around and singing. He touched Katlyn's shoulder, and i hugged him as he was headed back onstage. i helped get the mic's chord and got it away from everyone's feet and tossed it on stage.
Then, as i said, we talked to the drummer and singer from Electric Touch, and we called Katlyn's dad and exited the building. We had to follow people out, since we didn't come through the front entrance. When we were waiting, some guy from the show told me congrats about singing onstage and i went home with the world's biggest smile on my face from the best night of my life. [oh and by the way i bought a really big hoodie that 'i can sleep in' or so Joe said. haha.
Phantom Planet was, and probably will be, the best concert i'd ever been to. The guys were so nice, and didn't think twice about it. I will always remember this night. I hope whoever read this can understand why i'm just in this crazy happy mode, but at the same time sad that i know nothing like that will probably happen again. Fate doesn't love anybody that much.
------------
Okay, yes, with the excitement of that, i went to sleep around 2am. i had to be at the doctor at 8am for an appointment dealing with a weird pain in my 'upper abdomen' aka side that bothered me during soccer camp and for a while now. No news in that yet, but after that we drove up to my theatre where i'd be having auditions for Urinetown, the Musical [a show im in, duh] I know, a concert the night before auditions, in my defense their one of my favourite bands and i didn't know auditions would be that day [today]. so i did decently on the dancing one, which kinda surprised me. The singing one, i thought i sucked, but the twins and dyllan and mariam told me i did fine, so i guess i trust them. i ended up being a cop [thanks to my mad dancing skills!! mwahahahaha!!!] and a UGC staff member. if this means nothing to you - i'm in the ensamble for the two evil parties, one of them being a singing/acting based one and the cops one being a dancer [and maybe solo singer] for a song. I'm thrilled with my parts, because i've learned from experience that directors know what part fits what person best, and what you would be good at.
So now here i am, someone about to start an intense two weeks of doing three things i love -singing, dancing, and acting- with the memories from the best night of my life always popping up.
~Liz
July 25th, 2008 at 02:58am