What makes the music Emo?

So after I got home from finally seeing The Dark Knight, my sister and I got into a discussion about Emo music. My sister isn't really the Emo type of person. If you want to get into stereotypes, she would be considered the blonde preppy type. But she gets so pissed off about people calling me or the music I listen to Emo.

Her and I discussed what would be considered Emo. How every song has to have some kind of emotion, whether it be happy or sad. Why is it only considered Emo when the music is depressing? Can't a song about finding love and being happy be considered emotional?

Then I brought up the song Bleeding Love. If you really listen to the lyrics, they could be seen as Emo. "I'll be wearing these scars for everyone to see." "You cut me open and I keep bleeding love." My sister said the only reason that people don't think it's Emo is probably because of the way the singer looks.

But after that , she got a little silly asking if Blondie's Heart of Glass makes her cry, would it be called Emo music.

What really pisses me off is that people get Emo confused with other genres of music. Kids always call my Pop-Punk and Indie music Emo. It seems nowadays everyone wants to call everything Emo. And a lot of the time the music isn't the main focus, it's the whole self harm thing, but I'd rather not get into that today.

P.S I just might make this into a video on youtube...
July 29th, 2008 at 04:49pm