Philosophical thoughts 3

i know this speech is from a while ago but it is a very important speech to me as it embodies what i think of religion and the world today. just like abraham lincoln and martin luther king gets quoted all the time, i an sure that in the future mitt romney will also be quoted.

+ + +

Mitt Romney gave the much-anticipated speech on faith in America. He was eloquent and sweeping, reminding Americans of the important place of God in our founding principles. What has kept America as the fountain of freedom is summarized in this Romney statement,
Quote
"Americans acknowledge that liberty is a gift of God, not an indulgence of government."
The God acknowledged by our Founders has very particular attributes. He values freedom, including the freedom not to embrace belief or religion. It is America's very religious founding that protects the free exercise of conscience of the atheist or agnostic.

This implication is behind the following statement, a bold one because Romney was a candidate running for office, who is not giving a nod to those who would obliterate God in America:
Quote
"We separate church and state affairs in this country, and for good reason. No religion should dictate to the state nor should the state interfere with the free practice of religion. But in recent years, the notion of the separation of church and state has been taken by some well beyond its original meaning. They seek to remove from the public domain any acknowledgment of God. Religion is seen as merely a private affair with no place in public life. It is as if they are intent on establishing a new religion in America - the religion of secularism. They are wrong.

The founders proscribed the establishment of a state religion, but they did not countenance the elimination of religion from the public square. We are a nation 'Under God' and in God, we do indeed trust.

"We should acknowledge the Creator as did the Founders - in ceremony and word. He should remain on our currency, in our pledge, in the teaching of our history, and during the holiday season, nativity scenes and menorahs should be welcome in our public places. Our greatness would not long endure without judges who respect the foundation of faith upon which our constitution rests. I will take care to separate the affairs of government from any religion, but I will not separate us from 'the God who gave us liberty.'"
August 7th, 2008 at 07:29am