Labels- get over it.

I was thinking a lot about how to properly phrase this journal to get my point across and not offend people since it's not why I'm writing this and since I was at some point obsessing over labels and how much I hate them too.

Anyway, browsing through mibba, the labels thing is the most common topic. It's on profiles (don't label me, I'm not a soup can), journals (don't label me), the forums (they label me, what should I do?!1).

I do get that. I got labeled all the time and at the time it upset me greatly. I was furious at the fact that people could look at my clothes and decide I was this or that. I hated how they put me in a little box and expected me to behave accordingly.
I did that to them in return, I wouldn't look twice at a preppy guy and talking to someone who enjoyed backstreet boys was soo beneath me.

But now I think the labels thing is more of a high school gig and it figures. I mean high school years are the years you try to define yourself.

The thing is, it's true. People judge each other all the time. If it's by clothes or music or anything else. People like it when things are simple and they can simply stick you under a stereotype and know what to expect of you, it's less frightening and intimidating. God knows human being are scared shitless of people who dare to be different.
Be different, the world would be a boring place without you guys but don't whine when you get the heat for it. Be unique and be proud of it but don't snob others and stop using the labels as an excuse.
Don't let it discourage you or knock you back cause bottom line, it doesn't really apply outside high school.

Take me for example, I befriended people I would have never even glanced twice at high school just cause they were 'preppy' or dressed the part but you know what? I discovered I actually have things in common with them. They too feel misunderstood and they hurt and they try to fit and they're scared of the future and they're fun. And you know what brought us together? My MCR tee (I guess MCR once again shows me the light lol).
The old me would have bitched about them knowing just one song (WTTBP in case you were wondering) but this time I just laughed and let them listen to others.

So basically the thing I wanted to say was that I know sometimes you feel misunderstood and the labels suck but don't let it define you, don't let clothes or make up style have the final say cause in the end of the day it doesn't matter.
That cheerleader could be your best friend and that goth chick could be the the biggest bitch you've ever met.
They label you? You poor baby. Cheer up and be confident enough not to care cause I promise you that in 2 years time you actually won't.
August 7th, 2008 at 09:49pm