Warped Tour - Carson - August 17th

PICS: http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f53/spottyhotty6/Warped%20Tour%202/
Password: TheAcademyIs
BUT DONT LOOK AT THEM TILL AFTER.

Hey all. I went to the last day of Warped today in Carson with my friend Alexis. When we got there (after being bothered by a buddhist wanting to sell us literature) we met up with Chelsea, who you may know as talk.is.cheap. We did Punk Junk to cut the line, and when they let us in (around 10:45) we headed straight for the schedule. But then I looked over to the the main stage and saw the TAI banners out on stage, and there was already a line of girls against the barrier. I ran over and grabbed the last barrier spot (conveniently located at my favorite spot to be - slightly to the right of the mic) and Alex and Chelsea came in behind me. We had the giant gift bag to give to TAI (read on to find out what was in it), which we had planned to give to Ziggy to hold for us, but now we had to hold our spots in line. I asked security if I could put it on the other side of the barrier and at first they said yes, but then another guy came around and said we couldn't. So I sent Alexis off with the bag and ten dollars to give to Ziggy. She found it, he let her put the bag down, and she gave him the ten bucks, prompting a high five from Ziggy. Then she came back, we chilled and waited.

TAI came on, as good as always. Mike Carden was lookin' fine. They played (somewhat in order) Neighbors, Forever Young, Slow Down, The Phrase That Pays, Big Mess, Classifieds, About A Girl, and Checkmarks. Eye contact between me and William was made. We sang to each other. It was glorious.

Sisky threw out a pick, and it was going straight for the girls in the group next to me, but I again used my long armspan to take it from them when it was seriously just a few inches from them. And then I was like "HAHA BITCHES." It was great.

When William came down into the crowd, I was kind of getting suffocated and girls behind me kept pulling my arms down. I had nowhere to go and didn't care much to touch him. His knee was sort of right in my face, so I just rested my arm on it until he came down (http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f53/spottyhotty6/Warped%20Tour%202/DSCN0279.jpg).

After this we got our Music Saves Lives wristbands (and saw that TAI would be coming to the MSL VIP area to do a meet and greet sometime between 1 and 5. We saw where the buses were, then went back to the merch tent to grab our gift. I asked Ziggy for it. He went to get it, but couldn't find it. He asked another girl in the tent where it was, and she said Naomi (MGC's girlfriend and a tour-manager-in-training) already came and grabbed it. That was upsetting because we wanted to give it to them in person, so we decided to go back to the buses anyways to tell them it was from us.

There were two bus areas - one right in the MSL VIP area. There were maybe twelve buses there. Then there was a long road that led you back out of the venue. Most of the buses were there, behind a fenced-in area. We went into the first bus section. At the end of it was another fence with a security guard standing in front of it. I asked him if we were allowed past him, and he said that our passes pretty much allowed us to go wherever we wanted. We passed him. Catering was right behind him, but we went right down the long road. We passed another security guard who was checking people's passes before letting them into that backstage section. He, too, said we could go to the buses and also re-enter through where he was. We crossed the road and went into the next bus section. The security guard saw our passes and let us through. Oh, let me mention that all the guards we passed were men.

So we walked around looking for TAI's tour bus. We found Mike sitting in a tent at the end of it, but a girl was talking to him, so we walked past him then came back around when she left. Butcher had joined him. I asked if we could bother them for a second, and he said "Well you're not bothering us." Aw so sweet. I asked them if Naomi brought them a bag. Butcher was like "A big? Like a big bag? Like a gift bag?" Yes. He said yes they got it and also thank you. I told him i hoped they liked it. Then we asked for pictures. I told them their set was great, but that by this point I hoped that went without saying. I suggested with just get them both in at once, and Butcher was like "A Manwich." Haha. Chelsea took a pic with them (twice), I took a pic with them (http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f53/spottyhotty6/Warped%20Tour%202/DSCN0283.jpg), Alexi took a pic with them. I thanked them for letting us bug them, then asked Butcher if he would give something to William. I got out the Berlin shirt, telling him that I just found it on ebay and couldn't NOT buy it. (http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f53/spottyhotty6/f816_1.jpg) I opened it up to show to him, and he just smiled and was like BERLIN! And I explained how it was the legit shirt, from 1988, the year before the Berlin wall fell. He felt it and was like "Yeah, this is not a new shirt. American Apparel did NOT make this. He's gonna love it." And I was like "It's in pretty good condition you know. No pit stains, still white...But I don't really know who else has worn it...." and he was like "Oh he'll wear it." So I handed it over and he said he'd pack it in his luggage to make sure that it got to Australia. I asked if he knew when they'd be releasing tour dates, but he had no idea. We thanked them again and wished them luck in Australia. Naomi came out and said, sweet as can be in her australian accent, "Can I just borrow them for a moment for an interview?" And I was like oh no we were just leaving go ahead." Then I was like "Oh, are you Naomi? Thank you so much for delivering our gift." And oh my, she is so cute. "No problem. People give me things to give to them and I give this to him and this to him (she made a giving motion with her hands in various directions) and I always make sure they make it there!" Oh, she is so adorable.

Then we left and as we were re-entering the venue through a different gap in the fence along that long road the security guard (this time a woman) stopped us and was like "You guys aren't allowed back there. Whoever let you go back there shouldn't have." Hum, oh well. I feel so special that we got to walk on through and see the guys when no one else did. No wonder we were like the only ones walking around in the second bus area.... Don't underestimate the power of politeness, a kind smile, and big boobs.

When we were done with that Chelsea bought some merch and then we went to the Music Saves Lives VIP area again. It was like 12:30 by that time. The bands were coming between 1 and 5 and they didn't know when TAI would show up so we just decided to wait for them until they came. They had free Monsters and water for everyone, as well as tents with chairs under them. It was so nice. While we waited I made a friend who was working the 'Unite the United' booth. (http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f53/spottyhotty6/Warped%20Tour%202/DSCN0284.jpg) He was tall, cute, and wearing a The Academy Is tank top, so how could I not?

We talked on an off while we all chilled waiting for TAI. The bands that came through were 3oh3, Devil Wears Prada, Mayday Parade, Reel Big Fish, All Time Low, Shwayze, From First to Last, Greeley Estates...and other I can't remember. I asked one of the guys from 3oh3 where he got his shirt (he was cute and tall...and his shirt said BaRACK the vote) and he said it was sent to them, but the website was on the shirt (barackawear.com). I also got a picture with Mayday Parade (http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f53/spottyhotty6/Warped%20Tour%202/DSCN0286.jpg), who I love.

There was no signing at the AP tent and nothing special for SLH. That's fine because we had backstage stufff. We thought the whole band would be coming out, but just William came around 3:30 because they had to leave pretty quick to catch their plane but he wanted to at least sign a few things. A circle formed around him and it looked kind of silly to see. He was surrounded on all sides and people were very close; he had to keep asking them to move back. Girls kept pushing in front of me so I never got a chance, and when Jack told him to wrap it up cuz they had to go, I kind of freaked out. I wanted him to know it was me who gave him that shirt.

As he was signing something I put my hand on his shoulder and asked if I could ask him a quick question. He said sure. I asked if he got the t-shirt I told Butcher to give to him. Image

WB: The Berlin one?
Me: Ya!
WB: That was you? Oh my God that was so thoughtful. Thank you so much. Did you find that on the i-i-i-internet (stutter...tehe)
Me: Ebay, yeah. I did one search for it and something came up so I kind of had to get it.
WB: That's such a great idea. That was so thoughtful. Thank you.

At this point he's fully facing me, and he holds his arms out for a hug. (Cue me fucking dying. Beckett hug without even asking). We hug. It was beautiful.

Me: No problem. I'm glad you like it. Just wear it to the DC show.
WB. Kay. Hey, thank you so much.

Now he holds his hand out, for me to shake. I grab his hand with mine and instead of shaking it, he kind of grabs it and twists it so my palm is facing down. Then he puts his other hand on top of mine, looks me in the eyes, and says 'Thank you.'

Me: Ya! I'm Julie by the way.
WB: I'm William.
Me: Thanks so much for coming out here (I start backing up) and have a good flight and have fun in Australia....

WB: Yeah! Thanks! Oh and I saw you during the show today

Me: I saw you too!

And then I pulled out of the circle and watched as Jeff tried to escort William back to his bus, but people kept stopping him. Poor guy. It was so sweet that he came out at all.

Also, earlier we met these girls who missed TAI's set since they got their late. One of them gave me her number and asked me to text her when TAI was coming. I found out from Jeff ~secretly~ that they would be coming at 2:30 (he told everyone that he knew but wouldn't tell anyone) so I texted the girls and let them know. Of course they ended up being very late but whatever.

Oh and I also chatted with a band girlfriend for awhile. When Mayday Parade was doing their meet and greet I sat down in some chairs with Jeff, and we were talking for awhile about like DC and being on the road and stuff. The girl also talked about being on the road and stuff and how by the end of it people are just so sick of it. Then Jeff got up to do stuff and we got to chatting. She was a girlfriend of someone in Mayday Parade and lives in MI but they live in FL. I asked her if that was hard, the long distance. She said yeah but since they tour and stuff it's not as bad. They met when some mutual friends took them all out to dinner. Very cute. I also asked if it was hard being a girl on tour, and a bunch of other stuff about being on the road. She was very swet. Her name was Ashley.

Oh and coincidentally enough Jeff lives in DC. He told me about his band, and I asked if they'd be playing any shows. He said they probably wouldn't play on the west coast, and I told him I'd be on the east coast all year anyways. He was like "Well I live in DC so..." and I was like "What no way! I go to Georgetown!" So funny.

We wanted to see Mayday Parade at 8, so, without much else to do, we waited around starting at like 6 or so. This band I had never heard of, called Automatic Loveletter, played. They came on and I saw they had a female lead singer, so right away Paramore popped into my head. But then they started playing. So. Much. Better. Than. Paramore. Yeah, that's right. I said it. I'm not saying Paramore is bad. They're not. I like Paramore. But these guys were even better, times a million. It was probably the most beautiful set I have ever seen, out of all the shows I've been to. The sun was setting behind us, the girl's voice was absolutely gorgeous, she herself was beautiful, and the songs were so well-written and honest. They were a very well put-together band I bought their CD afterwards and met the singer at their merch tent and told her how blown away I was by her performance (http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f53/spottyhotty6/Warped%20Tour%202/DSCN0291.jpg). You all should check them out. AUTOMATIC LOVELETTER OKAY GUISE?

Devil Wears Prada was up next. They suck, okay. I don't care. Screamo is shit. During their last song Alexis and I pushed our way threw and by the time the smoke cleared we were about 3 people back in the middle. I love Mayday Parade but they sound so much more hardcore live, and the crowd itself was more hardcore. A pit opened up, and people were crowdsurfing and it was really hot and crowded. When the lead singer came down into the crowd in front of me and I got suffocated I was like UHM NO and pushed forward to have a security guard pull me out. I watched their last song from the back, then we left.

Bottom line is...I HUGGED WILLIAM BECKETT. HE LOVED HIS GIFT. EVERYTHING WAS WORTH IT.

Now I just need a picture with the elusive MGC.

Oh, and the gift:

To busy themselves on that long plane ride, we got them a book of sudoku, a book of crossword puzzles, playdough, crayons and coloring books (one power rangers, with two action figures, and one disney princesses), and a travel-size connect four. Then we got them individual gifts. Chelsea also made them all friendship bracelets. I got them all superhero tattoos.

William: Chamomile tea. Bracelet = Blue and White (fast times colors)
Butcher: Sidewalk chalk Bracelet = colors of his tattoo sleeve
Sisky: Gummy pizza Bracelete = Jamaican flag
Mike: Watermelon candy (think TAITV on the cobra starship bus) and mystery flavored airheads (because he is a ~mystery~) Bracelet = Watermelon colors
MGC: Vegemite Bracelet = Australian flag
August 18th, 2008 at 08:39am