MTV'S "Exiled": a 'reality cheque" to priviledged America?

A spoiled, irresponsible 18 year-old rich girl, a parent who's "fed up" with his daughter's ways, and a Maasai tribe in the plains of Kenya: this is the recipe of the first episode of MTV's new TV reality series "Exiled" (http://www.mtv.com/ontv/dyn/exiled/series.jhtml?extcmp=SEO_SSP_Y#bio). The idea is pretty simple. You take a bunch of rich, lazy, ignorant youths away from their Beverly Hills mansions, sweet-16 extravagant parties, 100.000$ limos and shopping malls, and send them to the remotest corners of the planet to give them a taste of the "real world"; there, they are expected to live like natives, fend for themselves and, of course, survive without *gasp!* their Luis Vuitton handbags.

The said spoiled brat enters her gigantic house, puzzled at the severe, judgemental looks of her folks as they summon her to the living room and announce that they're sending her to Africa the very next day. This is pretty much the case with the rest of the show's cast. They pack their hair dryers and nail polish and depart to their exile (escorted by the whole MTV filming crew, of course). Locations include: Kenya, Thailand, Morocco, the Arctic Circle, India, the Andes mountains, the Amazon jungles and remote islands of the south Pacific. Once there, each one of them is greeted by a native of the same age who, by the way, speaks very good English, and will guide them through their long, tearful, agonizing 5-day adventure (oh my, that's a really LONG time).

For what else could save these adolescents from the zeroes they've become while living the American dream? Money-spending, no responsibilities, extravagant parties: these are all monstrosities, as far as the MTV show's producers are concerned; that's why it's eventually up to them to give lessons of morality, responsibility and modesty to the self-centered youths of priviledged America. The audience is taught a valuable lesson: vanity, money-worship and ignorance are bad, bad, bad. Because we're living in a world where money is not everything! "There's more to life than partying and charging mommy's credit card", the show's producers seem to say, as they strive to give those spoiled kids what money has deprived them of: awareness! higher values! compassion!

But wait just a minute here, MTV. How can you condemn all the traditional Western values of capitalism? How can you debunk the role models which took you so long to enthrone? How can you deprive those kids of Paris Hilton-like behavior, of the life which YOU have promoted as "ideal"? Speaking of Paris Hilton, it is rather interesting that the same MTV which filmed "Exiled" is also airing a series entitled "Paris Hilton: my new BFF" (http://www.mtv.com/ontv/dyn/parisbff/series.jhtml), where the channel encourages young contestants to compete for the title of Paris's new "best friend" -nonetheless an exceptional honor. Something isn't quite right.

And what about those poor native tribes, those "exotic" peoples that had to endure self-centered, grossed-out, whining rich American kids for 5 days? What is really interesting is that, in all eight cases (no exception), cultural exchange involves a LOT of poop. Whether digging it, cleaning it up or using it to build a hut, "Exiled" cast are practically forced to get their hands stinky as a part of being more "aware" of other cultures and traditions.
Hmm... i wonder what kind of message the MTV is trying to pass about culturally diverse peoples.
August 28th, 2008 at 08:14pm