Any Online College Students Out There?

• Harper'sBizarre

Harper'sBizarre (100)

:
    Online classes are not for everyone, and though they offer the same curriculum as traditional classes, the experience is not the same.
    There are great perks and irritating drawbacks to choosing to take your classes online, and I think that it would be cool if fellow students could share their thoughts and experiences about this relatively new format of learning.

What do you like about it? What do you dislike about it? What do you wish you knew before you started?

Maybe you are not an online student yet but are considering it. What do you want to know?
    October 1st, 2018 at 11:22pm
  • nearly witches.

nearly witches. (15020)

:
    Admin
    I'm currently studying online with the Open University and so far, I'm actually enjoying it more than "actual" university. I think the primary bonus for me is that I can work around my work schedule, so I don't have to drop my wages at work and I still get a full degree at the end of 3 years. There's a lot of people from around the world as well, and it makes it really interesting to study.

The only downside so far is technology -- the tutorial system is very glitchy and doesn't let me book things a lot of the time and as it's not physically face-to-face, there's no way to fix it other than waiting on the system being fixed. It's really infuriating as I'm trying to work my schedule around everything I have to do and I can't do anything until they fix it.
    October 3rd, 2018 at 01:32pm
  • Harper'sBizarre

Harper'sBizarre (100)

:
    @ nearly witches.
    Technology is a pain with online classes. I live out in the country and my internet connection can be pretty glitchy, which is stressful. To combat this, I try to move as much work off-line as possible. My printer is my best friend lol.

Do you ever find it lonely, though?
    October 4th, 2018 at 11:13pm
  • nearly witches.

nearly witches. (15020)

:
    Admin
    @ Harper'sBizarre
    I've got physical books and stuff, which is fine -- it's mostly trying to go for tutorials and stuff, as they're online only. Technology is totally fab when it works but it doesn't 99% of the time, which is infuriating. I might start printing off all of the stuff for assignments just in case the internet goes down! I've already started downloading all of the video / sound content (I'm doing a language degree so there's a lot of non-paper resources) as it is because I don't trust it. Shifty

I feel like it would be were it not for the fact that one of the boys at my work is doing an online degree too -- we kind of bounce off of one another and encourage each other to do a bunch of studying, so it's not as bad! I think it definitely would be were he not there to freak out with though.
    October 5th, 2018 at 11:29am
  • Harper'sBizarre

Harper'sBizarre (100)

:
    @ nearly witches.
    I have physical books as well, but my instructors provide a lot of additional reading material that I prefer to print off. For some reason, I remember information a lot more clearly if it's on paper.
    That's awesome that your coworker is in the same boat as you, that must help a lot.
    October 5th, 2018 at 06:53pm
  • nearly witches.

nearly witches. (15020)

:
    Admin
    @ Harper'sBizarre
    See, most of our stuff is just in the book and if not, it's general run-downs of what we need to do for assessments. I'm planning on sitting on Monday and printing out all of my assessment guides so I can get a head-start on them!

It does - he's not doing a languages degree but he's doing a classics degree, so he's got Italian and Greek as part of his. We're basically encouraging each other to keep going at this stage. lmfao
    October 6th, 2018 at 10:59pm
  • Harper'sBizarre

Harper'sBizarre (100)

:
    @ nearly witches.
    That's awesome. I need to find someone like that! lol
    October 7th, 2018 at 01:08am
  • nearly witches.

nearly witches. (15020)

:
    Admin
    @ Harper'sBizarre
    It's definitely helping, for sure. If I lack motivation, he just annoys me until I do work and vice versa. lmfao
    October 8th, 2018 at 10:29am
  • Harper'sBizarre

Harper'sBizarre (100)

:
    @ nearly witches.
    Sign me up. I'm kind of the only one motivating me right now.
    October 10th, 2018 at 06:24am