Philosophy-Related Films

• YING

YING (100)

:
    There are a lot of philosophy related films.
    I think The Truman Show is really philosophical.
    And Waking Life, The Matrix, I Heart Huckabees, A Clockwork Orange, Fight Club and many others.
    What about you guys? What's on your list?
    March 2nd, 2010 at 09:23pm
  • Syd Barrett.

Syd Barrett. (100)

:
    Well, I watched Woody Allen's Love and Death recently and it seems to have some degree of philosophical meaning, even though it's a blatant comedy. I can't put my finger on exactly what the core "message" is (or if there is any) but it goes into whether or not there is a God, whether life has meaning, and explores the nature of death to an extent.

Is it just me, or is Breakfast Club philosophical? This is coming from the girl who overanalyzes everything, but to me it seems to have an underlying message that, underneath the trappings, humanity has more similarities than differences.

Hmm, Forrest Gump? I haven't dissected it much, but lots of people find deep meaning in that one--I've heard it called a "conservative film" (make of that what you will), and some consider it to be saying that whether or not one ends up happy is more a matter of chance than anything else.
    March 3rd, 2010 at 10:29pm
  • Wikipedia.

Wikipedia. (100)

:
    Here's a good one. I think it's called The Invention of Lying. I've never seen it myself, but have been told about it. Apparently, it's about a world much like ours where nobody has the ability to lie. Then one guy invents it, and it all goes on from there.
    March 12th, 2010 at 04:36pm
  • isangelical.

isangelical. (100)

:
    I've always loved the concept of The Truman Show. Brilliant movie. The Matrix, I Heart Huckabees, Fight Club, seen 'em all. Good stuff. Related to The Matrix is obviously the rest of the trilogy, and then The Animatrix, which was really crazygood.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a fantastic one. Erasing a memory and deciding in the middle of the process of the person being erased that you want to keep them. And it's very confusing but very lovely and well-done. The Science of Sleepwas by the same director, I believe, but I didn't like it nearly as much.

Being John Malkovich was rather amazing, imo. A door leads into his mind and someone who goes through it is propelled into his mind and controls him for a brief amount of time. Somehow it ends up that someone takes over his body completely and it's really a thinker.

The Butterfly Effect is one of my favorites, and it's a concept I've become mildly obsessed with: if you could change one thing, you could change everything. Extremely crazy but honest thing, and it's developed my belief on destiny and all. The sequel completely sucked, though.

Think Stranger than Fiction had a sort of philosophical quality to it, I suppose, where the man is a character in a novel and doesn't know it and hears the narrator.
    March 13th, 2010 at 06:12am
  • leaf's a buzzard

leaf's a buzzard (100)

:
    The Matrix trilogy, yeah. There are a few other movies I've seen but sadly the names escape me.

Also, maybe off topic, but there are quite a few Animes that have philosophical qualities I've seen.
    Serial Experiments Lain, Ergo Proxy, Wolf's Rain, The Cowboy Bebop Movie, and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.
    March 13th, 2010 at 11:01pm
  • iMeowTao

iMeowTao (100)

:
    Serial Experiments Lain was /very/ philosophical, and very good. I had to buy the entire series. ^ ^

I liked the general philosophy behind The Boondock Saints... I don't know if the following fit the category quite right, but because they really made me think I'll include Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Full Metal Jacket, and A Scanner Darkly, as well. (SLC Punk and Trainspotting? I'm wondering if anyone has even seen these...)
    March 16th, 2010 at 03:39am
  • isangelical.

isangelical. (100)

:
    iMeowTao:
    Serial Experiments Lain was /very/ philosophical, and very good. I had to buy the entire series. ^ ^

I liked the general philosophy behind The Boondock Saints... I don't know if the following fit the category quite right, but because they really made me think I'll include Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Full Metal Jacket, and A Scanner Darkly, as well. (SLC Punk and Trainspotting? I'm wondering if anyone has even seen these...)
    I forgot all about A Scanner Darkly. That one was really something, I loved it.

Waking Life gave me a complete migraine both times I saw it, though.
    March 18th, 2010 at 05:23am
  • leaf's a buzzard

leaf's a buzzard (100)

:
    Trainspotting! I almost forgot that one. Yes! Also Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas... but I'm really not sure if that movie was really philosophical or just an insane trip.

EDIT:

Oh! and also Into The Wild. I love that movie so flipping much, and it's extremely philosophical.
    March 18th, 2010 at 05:38am
  • Xsoteria

Xsoteria (100)

:
    I think that almost every movie can be interpreted from a bit philosophical side.

Animes even more so. (except for the blatantly shounenistic ones)
    March 18th, 2010 at 04:44pm
  • iMeowTao

iMeowTao (100)

:
    pen. leaf:
    Yes! Also Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas... but I'm really not sure if that movie was really philosophical or just an insane trip.
    I think if you can truely understand any philosophical meaning behind Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas you should be very affraid and consider the fact that you may be addicted to some heavy stuff. But I like to think it's philosophical. :3
    March 18th, 2010 at 11:21pm
  • leaf's a buzzard

leaf's a buzzard (100)

:
    iMeowTao:
    I think if you can truely understand any philosophical meaning behind Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas you should be very affraid and consider the fact that you may be addicted to some heavy stuff. But I like to think it's philosophical. :3
    It's been a while since I've seen it. I think I'll pop it back in the DVD player sometime soon. xD

And it could always be both. People can get extremely philosophical when they're high.
    March 19th, 2010 at 12:48am
  • Kracken

Kracken (100)

:
    Donnie Darko!
    My friend and I have watched it so many times and still find stuff to ponder about it.
    July 12th, 2010 at 04:21am
  • st.switchblade

st.switchblade (100)

:
    My Name Is Earl is a show about karma. Razz
    July 15th, 2010 at 09:50pm
  • LivinOnABreath.

LivinOnABreath. (105)

:
    A CLOCKWORK ORANGE! by anthony burgess

i just read this in school and to be totally honest it just might be the best masterpeice of a book i ever read. It was deep and mindblowing on so many different levels. levels that i probablly wont have figured out witout my teacher but still the dude knew how to get a message across.

Burgess talked about the idea of free-will and once we lose the ability to chose we are no longer human. which i believe to be completely true. once the act of free-will is demonlished we will then rely on complete instinct which evaporates the most important line humans have between animals.
    ( my lit-teacher would be so proud. lol XP)
    July 16th, 2010 at 03:40am
  • mia bell.

mia bell. (150)

:
    Disney. Especially the Lion King. Shifty
    July 17th, 2010 at 11:22am
  • grimoire.

grimoire. (100)

:
    the imaginarium of dr. parnassus.
    July 29th, 2010 at 09:37am
  • MatthewMagic

MatthewMagic (100)

:
    Is no one going to mention V for Vendetta How anti Hobbesian.
    July 30th, 2010 at 09:20am
  • Germ

Germ (100)

:
    Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind...that's philosophical, right? X)
    November 10th, 2010 at 06:42pm
  • Mischief Izzy

Mischief Izzy (150)

:
    Being John Malkovich, that's related to the concept of personhood.
    November 11th, 2010 at 11:21pm
  • disastrophe

disastrophe (100)

:
    Into The Wild is amazing. Has anyone seen it? It's a remarkable film/story.

Some of the others mentioned here are brilliant, too, like Eternal Sunshine. Trainspotting is one of my favourite films but I've never really thought of it like that but of course it is! I'm a bit slow. Gosh, now I feel like watching it. It's so great <3
    December 3rd, 2010 at 10:23pm