Sequel: Hold On

Life As It Is

Life As A Normal Teenager Part Two

It was sort of a chilly night in the back alley of Gilman Street where Billie Joe and Ella stepped outside. The sound of another punk band playing could be heard from outside because it was so quiet.

"So... what did you want to talk about?" Billie Joe said sticking his hands in the front pockets of his jeans. He knew exactly what Ella wanted to talk about but it was only said for the sake of starting the conversation.

"Well you know, about dedicating those two new songs to me," Ella said and then taking a deep breath to say," Do you like me more than a friend?"

Billie Joe paused for a second. He didn't know why he just didn't answer the question right away. Maybe deep inside he knew that Ella was about ready to reject him.

"Yeah." He said quietly.

It came to a shock to Ella. No guy had ever even considered going out with her, and now one of the most interesting guys she knew liked her. Not some popular girl at school,her, Ella Montgomery.

"Wow." She said at last, still trying to take in the information.

"You don't have to feel the same way... I... I just express myself through music and shit." Billie Joe was starting to get more and more curious about what Ella was going to say to him now.

"I do feel the same way. I really do like you Billie, more than a friend. It's just really weird that any guy would take interest in me. The only kiss I've ever gotten was at my cousin's birthday party in that closet game and I didn't even figure out who it was."

Before Ella could say anything else, Billie Joe cut her off with a kiss. He was just too happy.

It seemed like they were kissing for quite a long time but it wasn't really that long. When they finally stopped, they each had a sheepish grin on their faces.

"So umm... Tre told me he was gonna give me a tour of Gilman," Ella said smiling shyly this time, "But I don't wanna go."

"Don't." Billie Joe said as he pulled her in again for another kiss.

Just then, Mike, Al, and Tre had stepped out to find the new couple going at it.

"FINALLY!" They all screamed in unison, scaring the shit out of Billie Joe and Ella. They grinned at each other.
* * * * * * *
Another great night had passed by for Ella. Time was flying by the minute she had met Billie Joe. It was already the end of January and it felt like everything that had happened in a few weeks were years ago.

"Whatcha thinking about?" Billie Joe asked Ella as he walked her home.

"Nothing... just how time flies." She said as she shivered a little bit.

"Cold?"

"Just a little yeah... "

Billie Joe took off the sweatshirt he was wearing and gave it to Ella to put on.

"Typical teen move." Ella said as she put her head on Billie Joe's shoulder.

"So I can rest my head... "Billie Joe said in a sing-song kind of way.

"Sounds like a good chorus."

"Yeah."

The two walked the rest of the way quietly listening to the cool breeze and the quietness of each street they passed.

"I would let you kiss me on the porch..." Ella said as they both got to her house, "But you know why not."

"I don't care where we kiss." Billie Joe grinned.

The new couple kissed again in the shadows where no one could see them.

Ella climbed up the ladder to her room as quickly as possible not to wake up anyone. That night she was absolutely exhausted but happy as ever.

When she got into her room, she looked into the mirror. Her cheeks were flushed and her hair was a mess. Ella looked like a completely different person all of a sudden. She climbed into bed with Billie Joe's sweatshirt and drifted off to sleep.
* * * * * *
Billie Joe walked into his house very quietly not to wake up his mom but she was already awake.

"Hey there rock star, what's with the big grin?" Ollie said when her son noticed she was awake.

"Nothing... " Billie Joe said trying to avoid his mom making a fuss about his new girlfriend.

"Billie I know when you're really, really happy with that sheepish grin. Your father used to do that all the time."

The mention of his father got Billie Joe a little sad for a second. Ever since he had died, his mom had always pointed out that he was just like his father in many ways.

He sighed and decided to tell his mother because he knew she could be a hardass on him sometimes.

"I told you that you two would make a nice couple." Ollie said, smiling.

"Yeah mom you're always right. "Billie Joe said as he put down his guitar case that was slung over his shoulder and headed upstairs.

"Hey, weren't you wearing a sweatshirt?" Ollie asked as he walked up the stairs.

"Yeah."

"So where is it?"

"Guess." Billie Joe called over his shoulder and could tell his mom was smiling behind him.