Sequel: Hold On

Life As It Is

The Meaning of A Job

Ella woke up the next morning feeling achy. Usually this happened when she was stressed or something was bothering her. She sighed and got out of bed.

When she got downstairs, she noticed that both of her so-called parents were passed out on the couch with empty beer bottles. Ella wasn't going to pick up after them like they were 5 years old. She put her book bag over her shoulder and left the house.

* * *

"What's wrong sweetie?" Ollie asked Billie Joe as she poured herself a cup of coffee. It was her day off at the restaurant so she wanted to spend it wisely.

Billie Joe thought about telling his mother about what was going but decided not to. It was Ella's business, not his.

"Nothing." He said, sighing and before Ollie could say anything else, the phone rang.

Saved by the phone.

There was a knock on the door, so Billie Joe went to answer it. It was of course Ella. She looked different though. When he looked closer, Billie Joe could tell there was some foundation on her skin.

"I had to pull it off somehow." Ella said trying to manage a weak smile.

Billie Joe nodded and pulled his girlfriend in for a hug. She deserved so much more. As the two hugged for what seemed like a long time, they suddenly heard a phone slam in the kitchen.

"SHIT!" Ollie screamed.

The couple gave one another a confused look as they both went into the kitchen.

"Mom, what happened?" Billie Joe asked.

"Tammy from the restaurant got fired so I have to cover all of her shifts till they find a new waitress." Ollie grumbled.

It was as if a light bulb had actually lit in Ella's head. Being a waitress was the answer for her. That's what she could do! She waited until her boyfriend was out of sight until she approached Ollie.

"I heard about the whole job problem thing... " Ella said to Ollie. "Maybe I can apply for the job?" She explained to Ollie all about what she wanted to do.

"Of course! There is no way in hell I'm going to work that much." Billie Joe's mother chuckled.

* * *

Somehow and someway, Ella found herself the next day at her new job. Rod's Hickory Pit. The job had reasonable hours and she was accepted quickly as a waitress since she had connections with Ollie.

"I still can't believe you're working here." Billie Joe said to his girlfriend while she was on her break. According to Ollie, she was also a natural when it came to giving orders and handing them out.

"I need to make money somehow." Ella said giving Billie Joe one of accepted quickly as a waitress since she had connections with Ollie.

He grinned back at her. Lately, Billie Joe was almost always happy. Maybe it was the fact that he was with Ella and she made his life so unreal—just like he mentioned in his song.

Billie Joe took a look at his watch.

"Shit, I have to go. Jam session with the guys." He wrapped his arms around Ella from behind and kissed her ear.

"See you later?" He whispered in her ear.

Ella gave him another yet, sheepish grin, "Of course."

She watched her boyfriend walk away and gave that far-away dreamy sigh you only make when you really like someone.

* * *

"Look its Mr. Big Grin!" Mike exclaimed when he saw Billie Joe walk through the garage door with of course—a grin on his face.

"Shut up." Billie Joe said, now just smiling.

"Ahh come on man, you and Ella are so fucking meant to be. I've never seen you like this." Al spoke up as he grabbed a small stool to his drum set.

"True." Mike agreed.

"Yeah I know... " Billie Joe himself agreed.

The amateur punk band then started playing most of their current songs. Most of the time Billie Joe would curse out the amplifier for acting up which resulted in Mike secretly grinning to himself since he was going to get him a new one.

* * *

Although it had just been the end of her first day as a waitress, Ella was able to make some work friends. In between each of her orders and after Billie Joe had left; she made small talk with the others which went to show that her life was finally starting to take off a little.

Except for one thing.

The fact that her parents were abusing her; verbally and physically.

When Ella went home at last from a long day at work, she walked through the front door, taking off her shoes since her feet were starting to ache from pretty much standing all day to find her parents in the kitchen.

As the door closed, her parents noticed that she was home.

"Hmm... look whose home from her stupid little job." Ella's father said, crossing his arms. She could tell from the tone of his voice that he was of course drunk.

Ella couldn't take it anymore. She was going to fight back, verbally.

"You know, you two seriously need to get rid of that booze." She said, walking straight into the kitchen.

"Don't talk to us that way!" Her mother yelled, the anger slowly showing on her face.

"Why not mom? It's not right for you to talk to me that way. Or even hit me in the first place! And don't give me shit that you're my parents. You're supposed to be there for me and you're supposed to trust me!" She said and without even realizing it, she was crying.

They both narrowed their eyes at her, smacked her and pushed her, then left the kitchen with more beer in their hands.

Ella sighed and decided never to open her big mouth again. As she was going up to her room, she started thinking about getting Billie Joe his guitar. She took out her tips for the day and they only counted up to around 10 dollars. There was no way she could get that guitar in two weeks.

Shit.

Payday was tomorrow, Friday the third. Unless there were more customers the following day, she would probably make the same amount of money.

All she wanted to do was make her boyfriend who she was falling for happy.