Sequel: Hold On

Life As It Is

The World of Dating

Four months into their new job, Ella and Holly were definitely getting the hang of it. They were even getting the hang of the New York atmosphere as well.

It was hard for both to come to such a big city when they were brought up in a suburban type of area. But somehow, as all New Yorkers did, they got used to it.

Though she had been here four months now, Ella really didn't feel as if she was moving on from Billie Joe except for the fact that she was just meeting new people. She hadn't had a new boyfriend, nor was she even bothering looking for one. She had enough things on her plate already.

In these months though, Holly and Ella had grown close. Almost to be best friends. Given her past, Ella hadn't had a close girl friend since eighth grade. But she was nineteen now. And Holly was a whole different story.

There was something about her almost-to-be-best friend that she enjoyed. The fact that she never took shit from anyone and was there for her as a friend the same way she was to her. They had plenty in common as well as things they didn't have in common.

Like the fact that Holly wasn't exactly the commitment type.

Ella had learned that the series of dinners they had together each night. Or the conversations they had as they flipped through the channels on TV.

"Why aren't you the commitment type?" She asked her friend.

Holly sighed and shrugged. "It's just not me."

Ella nodded, completely understanding that her friend obviously didn't want to talk about it.

As much as they talked, they bonded over things too. Specifically over television and well—just life.

There was another night as well where Holly looked through Ella's pictures of Berkeley.

"Oh my god... who is this hot fucker?" Holly grinned as she held up a picture of Mike.

"Mike? You think Mike is a hot fucker?" Ella started laughing.

"Yes!" She exclaimed. "Billie Joe has good taste for a best friend."

Ella grinned. She had never even thought of Mike in such a way. Yet, Holly seemed so into him.

"If only you had met him."

There was at least one good thing about coming to New York; Ella never exactly had the girlish bonding with anyone except for Holly.

She watched now as Holly successfully gave the right orders at the right tables and gave the people their paycheck. She had definitely come a long way. And in some ways, she was even the typical waitress with how she would secretly spit in any of the perverted guys who tried to hit on her.

Ella was working on one side of the counter while Holly was now working the other side. They both were pouring coffee for whoever needed it. Ella sighed and continued to pour coffee for a guy who was around her age.

He smiled and said, "Thanks."

Throughout the time he was there, he was smiling, grinning, and just looked at her a lot. Holly looked over to the guy and then at Ella and then raised her eyebrows.

Ella, who was obviously not aware the guy was checking her out, turned around and scrunched her nose at Holly which in a way was just asking, "What?"

After their shift, she approached her while they were both out the door and this time actually asked her.

"That guy El," Holly said, fully aware of when the nickname was also used in the past. "Was checking you out."

Ella gave her a "Yeah right" look.

"You're kidding, right?"

"No. I'm serious. Come on; I know you thought he was cute. When it comes to stuff like guys, I'm usually never wrong. "

"Holl, I didn't think anything of him."

Holly sighed. "Ok, I think you need to stop this shit."

"Stop what?"

"Stop trying to shield yourself from guys. Look, you're never going to move on from Billie Joe if you don't get on that fucking love wagon again. You'll never know unless you try."

Ella sighed and nodded.

"Ok fine. You're right. But Holly... it fucking hurts. It really does. I miss him so much and I hate that we had to break up in order to do what we have to do. But I'm scared. I'm scared of getting hurt again." She felt the tears slowly stinging her eyes. Holly reached over and hugged her.

"I told you, you'll never know unless you try."

* * *
The next morning at work, the guy was there again and Holly forced Ella to take yet another counter job just to talk to him.

"Hi again," He said, smiling at her.

"Hi," She said, smiling back. She actually found him attractive. But another part of her was feeling weird and was thinking about Billie Joe. She had to have been doing the right thing about moving on.

She served him and they talked a little until he had to leave.

"Listen umm... I was wondering if you'd like to go out sometime... " The guy said.

Ella literally had her mouth open. She didn't see this coming. Holly was walking by to take her break and nudged her, then exited.

"Uhh... yeah, sure."

The guy wrote down his name and number and gave it to her. She did the same.

"See you around... " Ella looked down at the paper. "Pete."

"Same to you Ella."

* * *
"Soo... you've got a date huh?" Holly asked that night.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah... "

"Oh come on. You should be happy. You're slowly moving on."

"Meh." Ella replied, walking over to the couch.

"Oh my god. I know what you're doing." Holly walked over to the couch as well.

"What?"

"You're comparing him to Billie."

Ella snorted.

"You're kidding me right?"

"No I'm not. Dude, I'm not asking you to compare him. I'm asking you to go out there and see if you can find someone to love as much as you loved him."

Ella looked down at the couch and sighed.

"Fine, you're right. Blah, blah, blah. I'll go do it."

Holly smiled.

"I'm starting to know you well. Just like you know me well. Now come on, I should help you get the perfect first date outfit."

"What is this? An 80's teen movie?"

Holly smirked, sighed and put an arm around her friend.

"Welcome to the world of dating, Ella Montgomery."