Sequel: Hold On

Life As It Is

Opening Old Wounds

The afternoon of September twenty-first came as quickly as possible. Kids were loudly walking the streets of New York, so eager to come home from school at last.

Ella was at her loft with Holly as they both got ready for the concert with the things they needed. Since Green Day's newest album had come out, the two bought it and had the CD blasting throughout the house.

"Sounds awesome," Holly said as she applied lip gloss in the mirror.

"Yeah... it does." Ella said as she put on her old school Green Day shirt. Her best friend looked away from the mirror and looked at the shirt.

"Where'd you get it from?"

"One of their old shows," she said as she smiled at herself in the mirror. She had never been much of a makeup girl, usually just a little lip gloss and eyeliner. Ella never went as far as Holly did with her appearance.

"I remember the night exactly. Pant Factory 1989. Back when Al was the drummer. They got kicked out of there but Billie sang just a little before this guard came up to him and whispered in his ear. I was one of the first greedy motherfuckers to grab a tee shirt." She laughed softly as she tied her converse.

Yes, Billie Joe had done quite the impact on her.

"What did Mike do?" Holly was now grinning ear to ear. Ever since Mike had tracked her down at work to ask her for her number, she wouldn't stop talking about him.

"He bitched the whole way home!"

"That's Mike the hot fucker for you."

Ella rolled her eyes and laughed.

"You're in loooove."

"Shut up."

"No you shut up."

Holly turned her back and started applying a small touch of eyeliner as Ella looked at her watch.

"Okay... you ready yet?"

Her thirty-three year old best friend turned around again and nodded. They took two cameras with them. One for work and the other was a digital camera for their own personal use.

Ella locked up her loft and headed with Holly to the elevator where they would leave the Manhattan building and head over to Irving Plaza.

* * *
There was still a little day outside left when Green Day was doing their sound check. Billie Joe picked up his guitar and began playing random chords. He looked out into the empty crowd. No fans had come to the sound check yet. But he knew that there'd be cameras everywhere and some magazine was coming too.

Things were just starting up again for the sixteen year old band.

He looked over at his best friends as they got all tuned up and were playing randomly.

Suddenly, a blonde woman walked inside with a brunette woman. Gosh, the brunette had caught his attention the most.

She was absolutely stunning. And for a minute there, he forgot he had a wife and kids until he looked down at his wedding ring.

Mike and Tre looked at each other. They hadn't mentioned anything about their encounter with Ella and Holly the day before.

Billie Joe knew he knew her... but for some reason he couldn't figure out who she was.

The two women were looking at a digital camera and laughing at the pictures. The guys had been playing another song for the sound check and Billie Joe couldn't help but look over at them as he sang.

He was feeling jealous. As if he had wanted to make her laugh. He then realized... he was staring at Ella. It had to be her.

Tre jumped off stage and hugged the two women. Mike stood next to his best friend and stared. He had to have realized it now.

"HOT STUFFS!" he yelled.

Yep, it was definitely her.

Billie Joe turned to Mike.

"Do you know anything about this?" He asked him.

"Uhh—we ran into each other on the street and they were coming anyway and umm yea I have to uhh—do something with my bass." Mike was feeling uncomfortable.

"Mike."

The thirty-two year old bassist let out a sigh.

"We have nothing to do with this dude. The magazine where they worked out assigned them to come."

"Ok, ok."

* * *
Tre started grinning at the two women. Ella looked over and realized Billie Joe had been looking. He knew. It was too obvious that he did.

"Wannaaa come up on staaage?" Tre said as he jumped around like a five year old.

"Down boy, down!" Mike yelled and laughed. Holly started grinning again as he looked over and waved.

"He's such a funny guy," she said. Ella giggled. Her best friend was a teenager all over again.

Billie Joe looked over at her, when she met his gaze, he couldn't look away. She smiled and attempted a wave. He surprisingly waved back and signaled her to come up stage.

At first she was shocked; she thought they'd avoid each other. Especially after Holly had to drag her inside, kicking and screaming.

She slowly made her way on the stage and headed towards him.

"Hey," he grinned. Gosh, she missed that grin. The one that always tempted her to return the grin.

"Hey," she said as they hugged.

They both enjoyed the hug, but they couldn't let it last too long.

"So... what are you doing here?" Billie Joe mentally kicked himself. Why would he ask a stupid question like that?

"Well I work for Alternative Magazine and they assigned me and my friend Holly to come to Irving Plaza for your concert."

"Awesome."

"Yeah."

Billie Joe took a good look at her shirt and smiled.

"The shirt from '89," he said. He hadn't seen it in years.

Ella grinned and shrugged.

"It's sad how it still can fit me after all these years."

"Shit, how long has it been?"

"Fifteen years."

"Holy fuck."

"Yeah."

They were so into their conversation; they failed to recognize the spark going on between Mike and Holly. They were grinning at each other and obviously flirting.

"Mikey has himself a girlfriend, eh?"

Ella laughed. "She's had a thing for him since I showed her one damn picture when we first met."

"Oh, how long have you guys known each other for?"

"Fourteen years."

Billie Joe nodded. He couldn't believe how casual this conversation was going.

"So umm... I have to get going with the sound check and stuff. Then after the show we have to get into our van to drive us over to the hotel. Do you wanna catch up afterwards?"

She shrugged and nodded. What could one harmless little catching up gathering do? They both gave the other their number on their cell phones and looked over at Mike and Holly again.

"God look at them. Mike hasn't shut up about her all day."

"Neither has Holly about him."

"If they both run away to Tijuana to be together, I'm gonna kick his ass." Ella laughed and gave him a look.

"His ass will be hers."

He grinned at her again and felt a rush of feeling as if he were with her again and stuck out his tongue.

"Shut up."

They both parted ways as Ella tried to pry Holly away from Mike.

"Okay they need to go do their sound check now, Holl." Her best friend looked at her and growled and Ella of course responded with a laugh.

"See you later then," Holly said as she grinned at Mike.

"He asked me out on a date," she said as they walked off stage. "A fucking date. Tonight."

"That's awesome."

Although her best friend could get wrapped into something, she never got too wrapped up.

"How'd it go with Billie?"

"Actually it went—good. He wants to catch up later."

Holly nodded.

"Great... now I don't have to trudge you along."

Her best friend playfully hit her and made a face.

* * *
After a great concert, there's always that feeling in the air. The feeling in the air where everyone knows they had a good time, where they forget their troubles and throw themselves into the music. Forgetting everything going on in their daily lives.

It was like that that night.

Although it was a small venue, Irving Plaza was crowded with devoted fans; all of them screaming after the concert watching Billie Joe, Mike, and Tre head off to their van after signing any autographs or taking pictures.

Holly was on a roll that night. She already had the perfect idea for the article and Ella had taken the great pictures she usually took from the best angles that seemed the best to her.

Her best friend had gone off to find Mike's hotel room.

"I'll call you later with the juicy details."

Ella widened her eyes.

"Yeah... I'll be waiting." She said sarcastically as she laughed and shook her head.

She drove back over to her loft with a bored expression on her face. She walked inside and put down her cameras on her coffee table and plopped herself on the couch—waiting for Billie Joe to call.

Suddenly, her phone went off and it was him.

"Hello?" She said as she stood up.

"Hey! Ok I have all the media, fans and my band mates off my back. I'm all yours."

Ella silently wished he was all hers. She shook her head at herself.

"Great!" She said excitedly.

"What if I come by your place and we both head over to the nearest bar?"

"Sure," she said, a little nervous. She didn't know why she suddenly felt this way. She gave him her address; reassuring him he wasn't far from her place anyway and hung up.

She picked herself up from the couch and looked at herself in the mirror. Did she look okay? Her light brown hair was a little wavy at the ends and her pink lip gloss was too obvious and her eyeliner was smudged a little.

* * *
In a matter of a few minutes, Billie Joe was out of his hotel room. Tre went off to sleep so he would be able to visit his daughter the following day before they would be off again to their next show while Mike got ready to meet up with Holly.

He successfully made it to Ella's apartment with no trouble whatsoever and knocked on her door. Her building looked pretty pricy.

"Just a second!" she called from the other side of the door.

He waited silently and patiently, feeling his heartbeat quicken as she opened the door to her loft.

Ella had a lopsided smile on her face as she greeted him at the door. He couldn't get over her beauty.

"Hey, come on in."

Billie Joe walked inside her huge loft.

"Niice place," he said.

"Thanks," she said as she closed the door behind them.

"Want a tour?" she asked him as he looked around the huge apartment. There was a mini kitchen, a large space for a living room, and many more things.

He shrugged and nodded as Ella showed him every little part of her loft from the bathroom to her bedroom.

The thing that mostly caught his attention was the CD and vinyl collection his ex-girlfriend had in the hallway.

"Holy fucking shit," He said as he went through it all. "You have fucking—everything."

"Not really. I just need one more Green Day vinyl."

"I'll be happy to get you one." He smiled.

Loser much? Billie Joe thought to himself.

"Haha thanks."

"Uhh... can I use your bathroom before we go?"

"Sure." Ella pointed in the direction where the bathroom was as she headed back to the couch. As she waited, she picked up the local newspaper she grabbed as she passed by a news stand just to get a kick out of the local on goings of the country.

She skimmed through some of the pages and found herself looking at the engagement announcements; looking directly at a familiar name and man.

Her ex-husband, Dave.

Ella stood frozen as she read it over. He was getting married to a woman who seemed familiar. It suddenly hit her; he was getting married to one of his ex-girlfriends. The one he constantly went back to during their on and off again relationship.

"El, you okay?" Billie Joe said and she suddenly looked over at his friendly green eyes. She noticed he had taken off his tie from the show and was wearing a band tee as well as black pants with the spiked belt.

"Hellooo... anyone there?"

"Huh? Oh umm... yeah."

"What's wrong?"

"Every fucking thing," she muttered. Billie Joe sat down next to her, took the newspaper out of her hands. He read the part she had previously been reading.

"Oh fuck," He said. "Your ex is getting married. And fuck, I forgot he has the same name as my brother."

Ella nodded, unable to even begin to express how she was feeling.

"I'm guessing this bitch he's getting married too—" He looked at Dave's wife to be. "Probably had a nose job and got in the way somehow between you two."

"Yeah," She muttered again.

"Oh El," Billie Joe reached out and put his arm around her as both their heartbeats quickened. "Come on... let's go to the bar."

They both got up.

"Yeah." Ella said as she locked her loft up again. "I think I need a drink—or five."

* * *
They both ended up at a bar in the matter of a few minutes. It was one of those big bars where everyone socialized and just did their thing, not really minding the other.

Billie Joe and Ella walked into the semi-crowded bar looking for somewhere to sit. The two decided to sit on the stools.

"So... since we decided to catch up... " Billie Joe said, trying to start a conversation. "Let's actually do that."

Ella shrugged.

"Not a lot with me. I work, I party when I can. Shit like that."

"Your life is not bland. I know that for a fact."

She smirked at the rock star.

"Oh really... "

The bartender came over, asked what they wanted, and soon got it for them.

"I may have not seen you in a long fucking time. But I know you pretty damn well. What's been eating at you, Ella?"

She sighed. Knowing he was right.

"This fucking bastard. I mean I'm over him—it's just that... I haven't found that perfect person for me. And it's been five long years." She took a large chug of her beer and swallowed.

"You'll find someone," Billie Joe said.

"Easy for you to say—you're married for Pete's sake and you're damn well happy."

"That's bullshit. Adie and I got into a fight and we haven't talked in a day and a half."

"You found the one though." She whispered.

"Maybe I did. But right now we're both fucking bummed thanks to our little friend named love."

"Yep."

The radio that was basically playing across the whole bar started playing Maroon 5's 'She Will Be Loved'. Ella laughed and shook her head.

"What?"

"It's such a cheesy song," She said in reference to the song.

"Yeah... true."

They bobbed their heads like idiots. Suddenly Ella felt a little light headed and almost fell off the stool.

Catch her as she... falls. The lead singer of Maroon 5 sang as Billie Joe caught her. Ella felt weird and picked herself up quickly. That had to be some kind of moment.

"Thanks."

"No problem."

"Oh fuck." Billie Joe said.

"What?"

"I have to go take a piss again." They both laughed as he ran towards the bathroom.

Ella waited a few minutes, staring down at her beer.

"Heeyyy sexxyy." A guy next to her said. "Wanna hook up?"

She ignored him and rolled her eyes but he wouldn't stop.

"Hey babe, this guy bothering you?"

Ella turned around and saw Billie Joe giving her a stupid grin and winked at her.

"Uhh... let's go to the other side." she gave him a smile as she got up.

To make it look like they were an actual couple, Billie Joe put his arm around her waist. For a minute there, she felt she was back in Berkeley as a teenager, with him.

In the matter of an hour, the two were piss ass drunk.

"Lemme take youuu back to your hotel room!" Ella said too loudly as her ex-boyfriend nodded.

The hotel where the band members of Green Day where staying at wasn't so far from the bar, only a few blocks. Down the empty street the two started singing The Clash songs like two drunken idiots.

Before they could reach the double doors of the hotel room, Ella saw Holly and Mike coming.

"Oh my gosshh ish Holly and Mike!" She whispered and partly slurred loudly as she and him stumbled to the nearest hiding place.

From what they could see, the two were grinning and holding hands like complete idiots in love. Something Ella had never witnessed her best friend ever do with the many men she had encountered over the last fourteen years.

"Good thing she didn't shee us." Billie Joe said as the coast was clear.

They both headed towards the double doors and into the hotel lobby, both clearly stating to everyone around them that they were drunk.

The two ran into the elevator and pushed the button. Billie Joe and Ella stood next to each other as they waited to get on Billie Joe's floor.

Ella stumbled again and Billie Joe snaked his arm around her waist again. They stared at each other's eyes and they had a moment again.

Without realizing it, Billie Joe pressed his mouth against hers, initiating a kiss. She returned the kiss hungrily and made her way back up before she fell down.

They went at it in the elevator until they heard the ding of the elevator and the two doors sliding open onto the door.

"What's your room number?" she said in-between each of their kisses.

"Sixty-nine." he joked as they both made their way to his room.

He quickly took out the card out of his back pocket as Ella started kissing his neck passionately. They stumbled into the room and both landed on the bed.

Everything was going so fast. Ella fumbled with unbuckling his belt and the pulled off his shirt as Billie Joe pulled her shirt over her head as quickly as he could.

He kissed her; a lot. On her stomach and her beautiful pink lips. They basically made love that night.

What a way to catch up.