Sequel: Hold On

Life As It Is

Hangovers Are Never Fun

Ella woke up the next morning with a terrible hangover. Her head hurt like hell and for some reason she kept wanting to throw up.

As she went to the bathroom, Ella heard voices downstairs.

"Hi...can I see Ella? I'm a friend of hers," The voice said.It was Billie Joe.

"How do you know her?"Her mother asked.

"English class.We have to do some assignment," Billie Joe lied.

She heard her mother sigh and say,"Come on in.She's not feeling too well.By the way,what's your name?"

"Billie Joe Armstrong," He said proudly and Ella heard him walk upstairs.

"Good morning sunshine!" Billie Joe said grinning.

Ella dragged him to her room and closed the door.

"Thanks a lot for getting me drunk!" She said angrily.

"Hey,I wasn't the one who said 'ok'.Plus I drove you home and helped you sneak back in," Billie Joe said.

Ella sighed, "Ok you have a point. So I'm guessing you're not here for the English assignment?"

"Well since I kinda figured this is your first hangover I brought you some aspirin," Billie Joe said as he took out an aspirin bottle from his book bag to give to Ella.

"Thanks," She said smiling.

"Ella!" Her mom said,knocking the door.

Ella rushed to her book bag and got out her binder.

"Yeah mom?" She asked as her mom opened the door.

"What are you two doing?" She asked curiously.

"Working on our English project mom."Ella lied.Why did she just do that?

"Ok.Well we have to go to the store together," Ella's mother said and with that,left the room.

"We?" Billie Joe,said turning back to Ella.

"I'm not allowed to go outside alone," She said quietly.

"What the fuck?" Billie Joe shrieked, "You're practically an adult!What the fuck is that all about?"

"My dad is overprotective of me and so is my mom. I don't even have friends!" She found herself blurting out.

"Well you sure as hell have me as a friend." Billie Joe said smiling, "So is there actually an English report?"

"Yeah we have to read this book called 'The Catcher in the Rye' by J.D. Salinger. Ms .Wilkinson is handing out the book on Monday," Ella said.

"Sounds boring already!" Billie Joe said,faking a yawn.

"It's a classic!"

"Of course it is. I'll go to class anyway so we can chat and shit. Unless you wanna get out of here now?" Billie Joe said mischievously.

"How is that gonna work?"Ella asked Billie Joe.
* * * * * *
Five minutes later,Ella found herself downstairs talking to her mom.

"So you can go on shopping without me." Ella was saying.

"No way am I leaving you with that Billie Joe boy alone." Her mom said defensively.

"Oh come on mom! I'm almost 18! We're just friends." Ella pleaded.Why did her parents act like she was 5?

"What will your father think of this?"

"He's not even here! He's out drinking and wasting his money!" Ella said,starting to get angry.

"You're not staying alone with this boy and that's final!" Her mother said,starting to raise her voice.

"Fine then I'll leave!" Ella screamed,running upstairs then heading downstairs with Billie Joe resulting in both of them leaving.
* * * * * *
"What was that all about?" Billie Joe asked Ella as they got into his car.

"I realized I'm almost 18 Billie Joe.They can't even trust me. I could care less now!"Ella said.

"That must suck.My mom totally trusts me even when she works so much." Billie Joe said.

"What about your dad?"Ella asked curiously.

Billie Joe turned looked as if he were about to cry but tried to stay strong.

"He's dead." He said quietly.

Ella mentally kicked herself.Why did she have to say that?

"Oh. I'm sorry. I didn't know." She said sympathetically.

"It's ok.You were gonna find out anyway." Billie Joe said and started the car.

The two decided on going to Billie Joe's house. Billie Joe even told Ella about his dad and how had given him his first guitar "Blue".

"Wanna know why I call it Blue?"

"Why?"

"Because it's blue!" Billie Joe said and both of them laughed.

At last, Billie Joe parked his car and entered his house with Ella.

"Home sweet home." Billie Joe said sarcastically.

"Wow seems like no one's here." Ella said,looking around the house.

"Yep. Mom's working and my siblings moved out years ago."

Billie Joe took Ella to his room and took out Blue.

"Wow,this is a nice guitar."Ella said,admiring the guitar.

"Yep,I love it so much!"Billie Joe said and began to sing some songs that he had written.

Ella smiled and said, "You're really talented Billie Joe. I bet your band will get really famous!"

Without even realizing it,Ella leaned into Billie Joe for a kiss but was interrupted by the sound of the phone ringing. Billie Joe jumped up and ran to answer it.

A few moments later,he returned to the room.

"That was Mike asking if I wanted to jam with him and Al. Wanna come along?" Billie Joe asked.

"Sure!" Ella said.She loved the fact that people were willing to hang out with her.

So the two headed to Mike's house, forgetting the fact that they almost kissed.

The rest of the afternoon was spent in Mike's basement as the guys played for Ella and goofed around.

"You guys fucking rock!"Ella exclaimed.

Billie Joe, Mike, and Al faked a gasp.

"Did you just curse?"Billie said laughing.

"Oh shut up." Ella said,giggling.

Billie Joe blushed a little. Why did he do that?
* * * * * *
Later on,Billie Joe drove Ella home.

"I had fun today."Ella said as Billie Joe was heading to her house.

"Me too.But what do you think will happen with your parents when you get home?" Billie Joe asked.

Ella had barely been thinking about her parents.What was the worst they could do?

"I had no idea." Ella said trying to sound brave.

Billie Joe stopped at the front of her house, Ella hugged him and went inside.

As Ella entered her house,both of her parents were in the living room obviously waiting for her arrival.

"Where the fuck have you been?" Her father screamed.

"I was hanging out with a friend." Ella said weakly.

"I told you not to leave you little bitch!" Her mom said and slapped her.

Ella's cheek burned.Why did her mom hit her? She could tell they were both drunk.

She couldn't just stand there, so she ran to her room, shutting the door and started to cry.