Sequel: Hold On

Life As It Is

The Birth

The timer went off with a cheery "Ding!"

Both of the women's heartbeats quickened again as Ella picked it up.

"What color is it?" Holly said, she was scared than ever for Ella.

Ella looked down on it and saw the color. She sighed.

"I'm pregnant."


The nine month pregnant woman whimpered as she looked at the water on the carpet. It was clear that she was about to go into labor. But she didn't feel any contractions—just yet.

Adrienne made her way into the living room, immediately noticing the younger woman's whimpers and the water.

"Oh my god," She muttered, immediately looking at her. "You're about to go into labor."

A scared Ella bit her lip and nodded, feeling the tears forming in her eyes. She was so confused about what to do. Holly wasn't there like they had planned. Why now?

The older woman immediately found Ella's cell phone and dialed 911. Suddenly Ella moaned, making it clear she felt a contraction.

"I'm scared!" She yelled.

"Don't be, sweetie. An ambulance is coming right now."

"Please call Billie and Holly. PLEASE!"

Adrienne nodded, doing as the woman told her and left messages for the two.

"Breathe, breathe."

The paramedics came as soon as they could and Adrienne went in with Ella, who was still frightened as hell, obviously not knowing what to do.

Finally getting to a hospital room, Billie Joe's ex-wife waited with his girlfriend as the nurse checked how much she was dilating.

"You're not ready to go into full labor yet, Ms. Montgomery," The Hispanic nurse told her.

"How long is it going to take?"

"Minutes, hours, days at the least... "

"Are you kidding me?" She narrowed her eyes.

"Don't worry; it'll be over as soon as possible."

Ella grumbled as the nurse left the room. She looked over to where Adrienne was. She noticed that the older woman was still leaving messages for anyone and everyone

"Why isn't Holly picking up her phone?" She pleaded.

"I don't know... but I'm here for you. Coming from someone who has two kids, the labor part sucks. But it's worth it, in the end."

"So I've heard."

The older woman knew she didn't mean the unkindly ness because she was in labor, and not her regular self.

Five o'clock suddenly became seven o'clock. Ella's contractions were far from one another and she still wasn't dilating enough centimeters. She sighed in frustration along with a reassuring Adrienne.

Adrienne's cell phone suddenly rang as she had stepped out into the hallway where a nurse told her she wasn't allowed to use a cell phone in the hospital. So she made it quick. She returned to the room with a frown on her face.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"I have to go... there's an emergency at Adeline... it's a long story but I really, really have to go."

Ella nodded.

"I'll keep calling and calling," Adrienne reached over and hugged the pregnant woman before turning around and heading out of the hospital.

* * *
They were done. They had actually done two of their biggest shows in their careers at last. And it all felt so great.

With Mike and Tre by his side, Billie Joe made his way backstage, officially finished with the show. Something to remember for the rest of his life and always look upon.

He was yet to know what else would make this night so special.

It was around one in the morning in England and Billie Joe was wondering what Ella was probably doing at that time. It was then that he, Mike, Tre and Laura had all checked their phone messages.

Billie Joe had been the first one to hear a frantic Adrienne tell him that Ella was in labor. He eyes immediately widened and his heart beating fast. He was about to become a father for the third time.

The last voicemail Adrienne had left him told him about some emergency back at Adeline Records and that she had to leave his girlfriend by herself. He knew he had to be there. Regardless of being on tour, he didn't want to miss another birth of his child.

He felt the stares on everyone's faces.

"We're going, now."

"What? Bill, are you crazy? How are we going to get there on time?" Mike asked.

The shorter man looked at him. "I'll hijack a plane if I have to; we're going, end of discussion."

He nodded, knowing that once he made up his mind, it was made up. There was no turning back. And so, they were off to California on the private jet.

* * *
Another groan and a moan. Another contraction hit Ella. She felt so alone now. She had asked the Hispanic nurse to keep calling Holly but nothing had happened.

And so, the nice nurse kept her company for a bit each time she checked to see how much she had dilated.

It still wasn't enough to go into labor.

She didn't bother looking at what time it was, it was useless. She wouldn't be having the baby any time soon. The contractions were still far away from each other. How long until they wouldn't?

Luckily enough, there was a TV in her room to pass the time. Ella turned it on, flipping through channels until she found something reasonable to watch.

She was surprised they even had a music channel in the first place. But it did. It was playing Boulevard of Broken Dreams. She kept it there, watching it silently, biting her lip a bit.

I wish you were here, Billie.

Ella grew tired of sitting in the hospital bed and decided to go into the bathroom just to wash her face a little.

* * *
In a matter of time, the private jet landed in California safely. The minute it was time to get out, it was as if Billie Joe had run out. He was slightly freaking out, but his band mates tried to calm him down so he wouldn't suddenly have a panic attack.

As soon as they got to the hospital that Adrienne had mentioned in her voicemails, the four headed towards the maternity ward. Billie Joe quickly headed up to the front desk, still sort of frantic.

"Hi, can you tell me where Ella—I mean Eleanor Montgomery's room might be?"

The blonde nurse looked up at him. "Are you a family member?"

"No, I'm her boyfriend. The father of the baby... Billie Joe Armstrong?"

The nurse felt like she had heard the name somewhere before, but shrugged it off in her head. "Oh yes. She's down that hall on the right, second door."

"Thanks."

He raced to the room as soon as he could.

Mike, Tre and Laura stayed in the waiting room. Tre eyed Laura and she caught him looking at her oddly.

"What?" She asked him, giving him a confused face.

"You know... I love kids. I love babies and I loved it when my kids were babies. Because they're just so wonderful. So—"

"Tre, we are not having a baby."

"COME ON! All my friends got knocked up. I feel left out."

The woman tried her hardest not to laugh. "Soon. Just not now."

He crossed his arms. "Meany."

She wiggled her eyebrows. "Who says just because I'm not having your babies doesn't mean we can't go into a closet and... "

Tre stood up immediately making her get up and about.

"You guys make me sick." Mike muttered as he went to a pay phone to call Holly.

When he had reached Ella's room, Billie Joe found it empty. Assuming she was in the bathroom, a smirk was drawn onto his face as he sat down on a chair.

The door quietly opened and a still pregnant Ella walked out. When she saw him sitting down in a chair, he eyes immediately widened.

"Well, at least I didn't give birth on the floor," She muttered to herself.

"And hello to you too..." Billie Joe said.

"Sorry I'm really happy to see you but I'm just sort of bitchy because oh yeah—I'm still pregnant."

She made her way onto the hospital bed without any help.

"Not dilating enough yet?"

Ella shook her head. "Only about three centimeters so far, not even close to labor."

Billie Joe got up and fixed his girlfriend's pillow around.

"I'm really glad you're here, Billie. I couldn't find Holly anywhere because she's in Sacremento visiting her mother."

"Well, I'm here now, babe. So are Mike, Tre and Laura."

* * *
Holly made her way to the maternity ward and saw Mike sitting in the waiting room, reading a magazine and eating something from the vending machine.

"Hey!" She called out, grabbing his attention.

"Hey," He said, walking up to kiss her on the lips.

"Did Ella have the baby yet?" Her face expression showed that she was indeed worried about her best friend.

"Billie hasn't come out yet so I doubt it."

"Dammit," She muttered. "I would've come sooner but my cell phone completely messed up and I didn't hear any of the messages till you called."

He smirked. "Must be fate."

The other pregnant woman smiled at him. "Save the arousing talk for later, Mr. Dirnt."

* * *
Time was slowly rolling by and Ella still was not in labor yet. The hours dragged on as Billie Joe kept letting his friends know that there was no new baby yet.

"I'm so fucking tired," Ella muttered. "Why won't she come out already?"

"She will, I promise you she'll be out soon."

"You've been promising me that for hours," She looked at the clock. "It's four in the morning, Billie. I'm tired as hell."

"I know...we all are."

Ella suddenly groaned as she moved forward, her hands on her stomach.

"OOWWW!" She yelped.

"You only had another contraction not too long ago; I'll go get the nurse."

"YOU BETTER RUN, ARMSTRONG!" She yelled in pain.

The same Hispanic nurse made her way inside and checked how much the thirty-four year old woman was dilating.

"Eight centimeters," She said, looking up at her. "You're about to become a mother."

The last six words hit Ella deeply. She gave a smile and looked over at Billie Joe, who had that same smile on his face as well.

They woman doctor who had come in told the other nurse to wheel Ella into the delivery room and so they did. The woman felt another contraction hit and squeezed Billie Joe's hands tightly, practically crushing his bones. He winced quietly, not trying to make a big deal out of it.

Everyone commanded her to push as hard as she could.

"Come on, El. You can do it!"

"Shut up! Give me some drugs, please." She pleaded.

She pushed as hard as she could, wincing in pain a lot as she continued to squeeze Billie Joe's hand tightly, tears falling down her face.

"No, I can't do it. I can't do it." She cried.

"El, you're almost there... you can do this. I know you can."

She shook her head, still crying.

"Babe, just push as if your life depends on it!"

"Why would my life depend on it?" She cried and snapped at the same time.

"No, no it's just a metaphor." Billie Joe shrugged, feeling like he was no help at all to the woman in labor.

"Shut up with your stupid metaphors, shithead!"

"Look, I know you can do this, you're a strong woman who can put her mind to anything she wants. And I know you can put your mind to getting that baby out of your—whatever."

She took a look at him, narrowed her eyes and squeezed his hand tightly, then huffed and puffed, pushing hardly.

"I see a head!" The woman doctor announced.

"Push, El." Billie Joe yelled.

She kept pushing and pushing until she heard the faint sound of a baby crying. She kneeled back and closed her eyes, relieved.

The baby was finally here.

The Hispanic nurse and another nurse went over to clean the baby up and returned with a small little baby girl wrapped in a pink blanket.

Overwhelmed with tears, Ella held the crying baby in her arms.

"Shh, shhh it's okay sweetie. Everything is okay now." The new mother quieted her as the infant looked at her.

Billie Joe was grinning over Ella and the little girl. She looked up at him and smiled, handing the baby over.

"Hey there, kiddo," He said softly as she blinked. When her eyes reopened, he saw two similar green eyes looking back at him. "Oh my god. She—she has my eyes."

A few minutes later, they found themselves back in the room they had started from. This time, Mike, Holly, Laura, and Tre were in there with them, each taking turns holding the new infant.

They each breathed about how beautiful she was as Ella smiled and rested her head against Billie Joe's on the hospital bed.

"What are you going to name her?" Laura asked them both.

The two looked at each other.

"Well... I do have two names in mind." Ella shrugged.

"Oh really... and you never told me this?" Billie Joe asked Ella who in return hit him on the head with a grin.

"Soo... tell us." Holly was grinning.

"You're gonna name her Frankita right?" Tre said, grinning as well.

"Tre, that's the most disgusting name ever."

Ella scrunched up her nose.

"How about Miketa?"

Laura patted his shoulder. "You're not naming our kids."

"Actually I know that her first name is going to be Phoebe."

"Like from Friends and that witch show—Charmed?" Billie Joe quirked an eyebrow at her.

"Well now I know my history as a television junkie has paid off, but no. Phoebe from The Catcher in the Rye, Holden Caulfield's little sister."

"Why that?" Mike asked her.

She shrugged. "I just really liked the name and I guess maybe the innocence of her character."

"We should give her the middle name of Michelle," Billie Joe suggested. "That was the name of the Hispanic nurse."

The thirty-four year old woman nodded.

The rest of the gang went home to relax as Ella did in her hospital bed as her newborn was as well. Billie Joe had decided to stay with her for another two days before heading off to the Switzerland show for Green Day.

The new mother slept for a few hours, finally happy that she had gotten some rest. She opened her eyes to Billie Joe holding Phoebe in his arms.

"Hey, kiddo," He said softly to her, cradling the newborn in his arms. "I'm your daddy. Your mommy and I love you more than anything in the world. I want you to know that I won't be here that much because I go to a lot of places to sing for people with your—he chuckled—"Uncles. But I'll always miss you and you can see me and call me whenever you want. I'll always be there for you even if I'm not there." He kissed her forehead and put her down.

Billie Joe looked up again to see his girlfriend awake. "Hey," He said softly.

"Hey," She said with a soft smile. "That was really sweet of you."

He shrugged. "Well I might as well warn her while she's really young."

Ella gave a grin and pulled the front man closer to her by his chain, kissing his lips for what seemed like a while.

"Thanks for being there," She said softly after the two broke away from one another.

"No problem, even if I'm a total shithead," He chuckled, making her blush at her moodiness prior to a few hours ago.

That following night, the thirty-three year old man refused to leave his girlfriend alone as hard as the doctors and nurses tried to kick him out.

"Any room for another person in there?" He grinned as she moved a little bit to the right on the hospital bed.

A young nurse, approximately in her twenties came inside the room with a surprised expression on her face.

"Okay... who had the baby?" She chuckled at the two.

"Pfft. She did," Billie Joe pointed at his girlfriend.

Suddenly, the woman's jaw dropped. "Oh my god. You're Billie Joe Armstrong... from Green Day."

"That's who everyone tells me I am," He joked.

"I'm a big fan! I grew up with your music... congratulations on your baby," She said with a smile.

"Thanks... "

"Amanda. But everyone here calls me Mandy."

Ella looked at her closely. She seemed so familiar for some reason. Suddenly, she knew where the young girl was from.

"Aren't you umm... Dale Jr's girlfriend? I could've sworn I've seen you from one of my friends' magazines."

She slightly blushed. "Yeah. We're out here for a while and then heading back to North Carolina."

"Wow. So you're the hot chick he scored."

The thirty-four year old woman whacked Billie Joe on the head.

"I guess so. I'm actually going to go meet him for coffee. He usually makes his way here a few times a day when he can."

"Awesome."

"Anyway, I just came in here to check if everything is okay."

"Everything is just fine." Ella said with a smile.

They said good-bye as Mandy exited the room.

"Amanda... Mandy... I really like that name." The new mother said.

"We can use it on our next daughter..." Billie Joe wiggled his eyebrows, leaning into Ella.

She giggled and kissed him, returning the grin. "We won't have another one for quite a while."

"Why not?"

"Because you almost hit on that girl and I just had a baby."

"Pfft. I'll always love you."

She kissed him. "I know and so will I."

The baby was here at last. It had been announced to the Green Day community that Phoebe Michelle Armstrong was born on June twentieth at 4:20 A.M. weighing seven pounds and eleven ounces. And that was only half of the good things to come.