Sequel: Hold On

Life As It Is

Wake Me Up When September Ends II

When Ella had gotten back from Ohio, Holly was still stubbornly pregnant. She was a few days past her due day and it was now the last day of August.

"If this baby does not get out of there, I'll make it," She grumbled as the two women sat in the living room.

"They'll come out sooner or later," Ella sighed and looked into the bassinet, making sure Phoebe was completely asleep. "And anyway, why didn't you and Mike want to know the sex of the baby?"

She shrugged. "I guess we like our surprises."

Later that evening, the thirty-three year old pregnant woman who had turned thirty-four a few weeks ago paced around Billie Joe and Ella's kitchen.

"What are you trying to do?" Ella asked her as she held her daughter to breastfeed her.

"Make this fucking baby come out."

"By walking?"

"Well I have nothing better do, okay? I've tried everything!" She snapped as Ella looked down to Phoebe.

"Jeez, I should've realized how bitchy I was when I was pregnant," She mumbled.

Holly sighed. "I'm sorry but I need to get this child out of me or I'm going to officially go insane."

The thirty-four year old mother nodded and put her daughter back in the bassinet as Holly sat down on the couch again.

"Do you want anything to drink?" Ella asked her pregnant best friend as she looked at her.

"Sure."

As she was pouring Holly water, she heard a grunting sound from the living room and the woman moaning in pain. She immediately rushed over to her as her daughter started crying.

"I-I think I'm going into labor," She said as she clutched her pregnant stomach.

Ella at that point wanted there to be two of her so she can get to Phoebe and Holly at the same time, but she couldn't.

"O-Okay, Hol' stay calm... your water hasn't broken yet so that's good. I'll go find someone to watch Phoebe," She picked up her daughter, cradling her to sleep as the infant fell back asleep. Then, she made a quick phone call to the one person she knew would take care of her baby.

As soon as she did that she made a phone call to Mike who she had been lucky enough to reach immediately instead of getting his voicemail.

"That fucker better be coming!" The woman in labor yelled, waking Phoebe up again.

The thirty-four year old woman sighed and closed her eyes at all the chaos going on only to hear a faint door knock. When she opened it, she found an eight month pregnant Adrienne in front of her.

"Okay, I'm here," She said as she came inside.

"Thank you so much," Ella was relieved. "There's extra milk in the refrigerator in case she gets hungry."

She went over to Holly who was now a bit calm again since her contraction had now stopped. She pulled her up from the couch, walking her over to Billie Joe's car and safely put her in a seat where she would feel comfortable.

As soon as they made their way to the hospital, the woman in labor was put into a hospital room as soon as possible. It wasn't until a little while later that Mike and the rest of the guys had shown up and this time they were lucky enough to have the day off.

Ella made her way outside as Mike and Holly stayed together in the hospital room, only waiting to come in once she was fully in labor.

"Hey," She said as she sat down next to her boyfriend who was sitting with Tre and Laura.

"Hey," Billie Joe put his arm around her and let her rest her head on his shoulder. "How's Holly so far?"

"Well... she's been pacing around the room, waiting for her water to break and snapping at poor Mike. So I think she's in a normal mood."

"I hope we don't end up staying up till like four in the fucking morning for another kid to be born," Tre said, cutting into the conversation. "I was so tired."

Laura gave him a look. "Tre, you were bouncing off the walls, high on candy."

"Soo... you liked it!" He smirked at his girlfriend, wiggling his eyebrows at her.

"Maybe I did," She gave in, giving him a kiss as Billie Joe and Ella looked oddly at each other.

"I'm afraid," Ella said. "Really afraid that two grown adults—never mind." She got up and dragged Billie Joe away from the odd couple who grinned at each other.

"They're fools in love," The Green Day front man mumbled.

The couple was holding hands as they made a walking trip around the maternity ward, still waiting for Mike to make his way out of the room and give everyone an update about what was going on.

"So... what's been up with your dad?" Billie Joe immediately asked as Ella paused.

She shrugged. "I've been trying to spend as much time as I can with him and he held Phoebe even though the whole time I was just afraid for some reason. I don't know, it's all feeling so weird because well—it's been forever."

He looked at her sympathetically and rubbed her arm a little.

"Do you know what kind of cancer he has?"

She nodded, biting her lip. "Lung cancer. Even though he's never smoked a day in his life."

He nodded with her as they stopped in front of the reception desk.

"Listen, El. I sort of know what you're going through since well, my dad had cancer too. But I just want to let you know no matter what I'm gonna be there for you."

"I know," Ella said as she tried to avoid the tears as the two kissed.

They walked quietly to two seats, away from Laura and Tre who were getting stares from nurses and doctors. Mike suddenly made his way into the waiting room.

"Holly's—" He caught his breath for a second. "Water just broke," He announced, catching the four people's attention.

They nodded with smiles as Ella and Mike made their way into the hospital room where doctors and nurses were waiting the arrival of the newest edition to the gang's family.

The male doctor ordered the pregnant woman to push as Ella held Holly's hand, feeling her squeezing hard, making the woman wince quietly.

Mike made his way to the other end where the doctor was.

"Come on, Hol'! Push!"

"Would you shut the fuck up?" She snapped at him.

Several minutes went by and the thirty-four year old woman refused to push as much as she was ordered to by everyone.

"Give me the drugs and MAYBE I'll push," She grumbled.

"You're going to have to push unless you want to stay in this same position for the rest of her life," Ella said as Holly glared at her but then pushed.

"I see a head!" A happy Mike exclaimed.

She continued to push and grunted along the process until everyone heard a faint baby cry.

A tired Holly gave a dazed smile and closed her eyes, lying down on the hospital bed happily, and letting go of Ella's hand. Mike made his way up to his girlfriend, planting a kiss on her forehead, opening her eyes.

And in that moment, the nurses made their way up to the new mother, carrying the baby in a blue blanket, indicating that she indeed had a little baby boy. Holly held him, tears rolling down her cheeks as the other two cooed at the new baby.

"He's beautiful," Ella breathed as Mike held him.

"And he has blue eyes."

"I guess all the new kids are inheriting their father's eye colors," Ella lamely joked.

Mike let Ella hold the infant into her arms and she grinned. She had a baby and now her best friend did. So long ago, they would've never expected to be in that hospital, giving birth.

Billie Joe, Tre and Laura made their way inside the room, each taking turns holding the baby.

"So what are you going to name him?" Billie Joe asked, passing the little boy to Laura.

"Frankito!" Tre exclaimed.

"Tre, you have a son named Frankito... remember?" Laura chuckled.

"I do... oh shit. Then what about Miketo?"

"Mike, do me a favor," Holly said. "Whack your band mate on the head."

Mike nodded and did so.

"Actually... I wanted to name him Carlen Chappell," Holly gave a smile, looking at Mike.

"Miketo is better!" Tre pleaded, getting another whack from Mike.

"Why that name?" The bassist asked.

"I like the name Carlen and Chappell is a family name."

"Awesome," Laura handed the little boy back to his mother.

The six of them stood together, as if they were the cast of Friends and celebrated yet another birth, with one more baby coming on the way.

* * *
A few weeks into September, Holly got accustomed to the new little guy in her life, also giving him a proper introduction to little Phoebe. The two mothers smiled at each other that their kids could eventually get married and they could be real family.

Never say never...

Ella visited her father often when he was immediately hospitalized. The minute she had heard that his condition was worsening and the cancer was slowly getting the best of him, she scurried to the hospital, leaving Holly with her daughter.

When she had gotten there, she saw her father, pale and completely bald from all the chemotherapy he had done. She stared at his tiny body, how it had once abused her and how it had gotten her and her mother into so much trouble with finances. She didn't know whether to feel upset or happy. For a moment there, she felt like she was back at eighteen, struggling for a normal atmosphere.

The thirty-four year old woman stared at all the tubes being used on him; it looked so creepy as if it was really a movie and not real life. But it was reality.

"They're trying their best to help him out," Her mother said, scaring the younger woman who didn't know of her presence until she had spoken.

"But it was going away last week..." She said feeling confused.

"It was. But it can always come back and now the doctors are saying it's spreading like wildfire."

The thirty-four year old woman shuddered a bit but stayed for a little while and left, not being able to take it anymore. She visited over the course of the next few days, just talking to him even though he never spoke back.

The next day after the last time she had visited, Ella was in her room, rummaging around as Phoebe and Carlen were both napping downstairs while Holly had been watching them.

With the run of the vacuum, she hadn't heard the phone ringing and Holly probably hadn't since she was in the bathroom. On the last ring, Ella heard the sound but was too late to pick it up. The answering machine did.

"Hey... this is Billie Joe and uhh this chick Ella by my side. Leave us a message or hang up the phone like an idiot even though this is an opportunity to say what you have to say and not have to waste your minutes calling us again but whatever, if you want to be a complete idiot, please don't leave a message after the beep."

She chuckled at the message.

She suddenly heard someone clear their throat and then the chatter of a doctor. Ella knew what the message was for. She gripped onto the bedpost like a child scared of something they had just seen. The messaged ended and the phone clicked off, her hands still gripping onto the bedpost. The door opened quietly and she saw Holly who looked at with a sympathetic look. But she stayed there with a straight face, unable to say or do anything.

* * *
The funeral for Ella's father took place a few days later and of course, Ella had Holly there for support. She stood emotionless as she saw the most of her family that had once stopped talking to her father bawled through the whole funeral. A few of her cousins and aunts came to hug her, giving their condolences as she nodded, still expressionless.

"Billie, I think this is bad," Holly said as she sneaked into the bathroom of the church to talk to her best friend's boyfriend. "She hasn't shed one tear since she found out."

"People deal with grief differently..." Billie Joe said as he sat down in his hotel room.

"Yeah, but she's so distant. She hasn't said or spoken in these last few days at all and I don't know what to do."

"Give her some space?" He offered.

"I am... the only attention she's really focusing on is on Phoebe."

"At least we know she's still in there—somewhere."

"I think you need to fly here... " Holly said, watching out for the door.

"We're going to do it for one more time when Adrienne gives birth and that's it. Our tour manager is getting sick of us taking off during our days off."

"Sounds like he needs to get fired. But you need to get here soon; I think you're the only one who can get through to her."

"You're her best friend..."

"You guys have a stronger connection and you've sort of been through this."

He paused for a minute. "I should really be there." All of a sudden, she heard the phone click.

"Billie?"

* * *
Billie Joe hopped off his bed, and called his two band mates over in a hurry.

"What's going on?" Mike asked as soon as he and Tre got inside.

"I'm flying back home."

"What? Why?" Tre asked as he sat on the bed.

"El needs me and I'm sick of sitting here doing nothing."

"But Bill—" Mike was cut off by Billie Joe.

"I don't care. Shows can wait. Ella is just as important."

The two men nodded.

"Plus," Billie Joe added. "At least I'll be an extra help just in case Adrienne goes into labor while I'm there."

* * *
Ella silently closed her cell phone off after trying to call Billie Joe for the last hour, she cradled her daughter a bit, putting her to sleep once again after another feeding and got up from her bed to put her into her newly bought crib.
She sighed and lay on the bed for several moments, looking up at the wall, not knowing what to do now.

The door creaked open and Holly was there.

"You need anything? I'm about to head home..."

She shook her head. "I'm fine."

They said their goodbyes and Ella looked up at the ceiling again. She closed her eyes and heard the door open once again.

"Holly, really... I don't need anything."

"Holly just left," A familiar voice said to her.

She opened her eyes and sat up in bed only to see a jetlagged Billie Joe. She was speechless as he looked into Phoebe's crib, picking her up for a second and putting her down once again.

He got up on the bed and pulled his girlfriend into a hug as the tears suddenly started coming down. She kept her head near his chest and bawled silently and sniffled a little as well. He kissed the top of her head and kept her close to him as she continued crying.

The thirty-three year old man didn't realize it at first but he could softly hear the stereo playing in the room and a familiar song come on.

Summer has come and passed
The innocent can never last
Wake me up when September ends

Like my fathers come to pass
Seven years has gone so fast
Wake me up when September ends

Here comes the rain again
Falling from the stars
Drenched in my pain again
Becoming who we are

As my memory rests
But never forgets what I lost
Wake me up when September ends

Ring out the bells again
Like we did when spring began
Wake me up when September ends

Here comes the rain again
Falling from the stars
Drenched in my pain again
Becoming who we are

As my memory rests
But never forgets what I lost
Wake me up when September ends

Summer has come and passed
The innocent can never last
Wake me up when September ends

Like my father's come to pass
Twenty years has gone so fast
Wake me up when September ends


He smirked at the good timing and continued to hold his girlfriend tightly, realizing how much he loved her and wanted something more.