Sequel: Hold On

Life As It Is

On A Mission

The six adults found themselves back in California after a few days to attend the Bullet in a Bible premiere. It was of course the documentary type of movie Green Day's current director, Sam Bayer had directed when the band had played Milton Keynes in England.

The women were finally adjusted to the fact that there were a lot of photographers there to shoot pictures of them and their boyfriends. It was something most people who dated musicians, actors, etc. could never adjust to.

Billie Joe and Ella walked hand in hand while taking pictures, the front man purposely making his girlfriend blush as he placed kisses on her forehead as pictures were being taken.

"You really know how to please a woman, don't you?" Ella asked, chuckling as they made their way into the theater.

"But of course."

People filed in there as quickly as possible, the couple made their way towards their other friends who had gone in before them. They waited as the place was finally full and then the three members of Green Day got up and introduced the movie, then took their seats once again.

The movie started off with Billie Joe's voice and then all sorts of shots while he spoke. It already looked appealing to everyone because of how it was shot.

There was a lot of funny and great content so far. Then finally came the performance of Wake me up when September ends. Ella saw her boyfriend stiffen a little as the song began and sighed softly.

He announced the song name. He started playing the beginning chords, feeling everything quiet down on stage and in the audience.

Billie Joe made his way towards the microphone, starting to sing the beginning lines as slowly and melodically as he could. Everything was fine until he was thinking as he sang and performed the song.

Usually he could be close minded when performing the song and only focusing on what he needed to focus. He thought about his father at the moment, the reason he had written that song was to face he demons of when he father died when he was only ten years old.

He thought about how proud his father would have been if he had seen how successful he had become. And that's when he started to feel his lip trembling a bit, as if he were going to cry.


The thirty-three year old man felt a hand squeezing him as he sat still in his seat. He looked over at Ella who still had her eyes up at the movie screen, but squeezing his hand.

He knew he was going to cry right then and there, but he couldn't let himself do it in front of thousands of people. He wasn't trying to be butch and all manly, he just couldn't let himself do that. Not in public.

The lead singer closed his eyes shut; blinking several times and noticing the tears still trying to get out, so he closed his eyes again until he could feel them gone.

The moment was over, the song was over. He could relax once again on stage.


And then came the part after the song where there were fans trying to play Green Day songs on the crappiest amplifiers but somehow succeeding. The guys knew that they had made an impact on their fans. They had gotten so many letters and so many people who came up to them telling them how much they had changed their lives.

It was still happening after so many years.

* * *
This time around, he wanted to propose, tonight. He felt like there was another right moment.

"Let's celebrate and go out to dinner," Mike suggested as they all got to his and Holly's house after the premiere and after party.

"Sure uhh... let me just head over to the house and... grab something," Billie Joe said, stumbling over his words but Mike already knew he was going to go get the engagement ring. It was simply that Ella was right at his side.

"Get what?" She asked, confused.

Her boyfriend had never honestly felt this scared since he had first tried to admit his feelings for her after so many years.

"Some money."

The thirty-four year old woman quirked an eyebrow at him. "You practically have a million dollars in your wallet... "

"Okay, I fess up. He's going to go fetch me some male product if you get what I'm saying," Mike said, sighing.

She stared at him, nodding and went to go find Holly.

Billie Joe thanked his band mate, made his way into the car and raced off to his home. He found the engagement ring in a closet he had hid it in where he knew she'd never look and then drove off to Mike's once again.

For some reason though, he found himself at Gilman Street . A route he hadn't taken in so many years but he knew deep inside he wanted to for some reason. There was a reason he ended up there. He pulled up to his old hang out where it was surprisingly empty. At this time of night, it should've been full of kids ready to hear punk music.

He made his familiar way into the alley of the place where he and Ella had shared their first kiss.

He stood there for a few moments, contemplating about how since then, nothing was ever the same again. He could remember the night clearly, as if it were yesterday. The thirty-three year old man practically heard Mike, Tre, and Al yelling out to the newly formed couple at that time.

"Hey, rock star," He heard someone sneer.

Billie Joe had had his back to the front of the alley entrance and then turned around to see some familiar faces. They were none other three of his old friends from the Gilman Street days. He swallowed a lump, not knowing what to say.

You've been over this a million times. Fuck them. You never needed them. Don't be such a pussy about this.

The guy who had sneered out to him, made his way closer to Billie Joe. He was slightly taller by a few inches, around Mike's height and let out deep, heavy breaths.

"Nice tux," He spat.

The rock star had a lump in his throat still, and couldn't manage to say anything. He stood still, hoping someone would pass by. Not like he couldn't handle what was going on.

"Who invited you here, sell out?" One of them asked, inching closer to Billie Joe.

"I can go wherever the hell I wanna go," He muttered angrily.

"Well not here. You're not allowed here," The first guy said and then pushed the Green Day front man against a bunch of black trash bags.

He got up and tried to fight back but was beaten down by the other three. Before he knew it, they were gone.

* * *
"Where is he?" Ella asked for the third time, pacing around Mike and Holly's living room.

"I'm sure he's fine, El," Mike answered, locking eyes with Tre who shrugged.

"He hasn't been picking up his phone. Something happened," She concluded, slightly shaking. "We're heading over to our house. I'll drive."

Holly immediately stood up.

"Noo way, you look a little too worried to drive. We'll all go cruising for him."

The others nodded and got up as they headed into Tre's car.

The five of them searched for Billie Joe everywhere and called every few minutes. It wasn't until they were thinking about heading back to Mike and Holly's when Ella's cell phone started ringing.

She looked over at the Caller I.D. and it was none other than Billie Joe.

"Billie," She immediately said when she answered. "Where are you?"

"I'm... at Gilman," He slowly said as she heard him wince a little.

"What? Why are you there?"

"It's a long story. Can you guys please come?" He said softly as she bit her lip.

"We're on our way." She ended the call as everyone was waiting in anticipation.

"Where is he?" Laura asked her.

"Gilman Street," She said.

"We're on our way then," Holly said as she made a U-Turn.

As they drove up to the familiar where about, Ella could already spot Billie Joe in the alley and ran towards him. She didn't care if she broke a heel, dirtied her dress or even fell.

She made her way to him, immediately noticing a bit of blood on his face and the fact that he was still wincing.

"Sweetie, are you okay?" She asked as he looked into her chocolate brown eyes.

"Nope."

"Okay, well we're taking you home. You don't look too injured."

He nodded as she motioned for Mike and Tre to help him back up.

When they headed home, Ella got her boyfriend into the bathroom, helping him get all cleaned up.

"This is going to sting," She said, scrunching up her nose as she pressed something against his cheek to help clean out a bruise that was forming.

"Shit," He muttered as she did so.

"Told you."

His eyes drooped down to the bathroom rug.

"What's wrong?" She asked as she put everything she had needed back into the medicine cabinet.

"I was just hoping tonight would be extra special," He said, slowly getting up.

"Well it was... even if everything ended up badly," She said, turning around to face him.

"Yeah but... never mind."

It would've been better if I hadn't blown another chance to propose already.

* * *
The day before Thanksgiving, there was a huge thunderstorm going on. It was a little unlikely, but it was happening. Everyone had been advised to stay at home because weather conditions were bad.

Ella had just successfully breastfed a fussy Phoebe when all of a sudden; the power went out in the room.

"Power's out!" She heard Billie Joe call to her from downstairs.

As she set down Phoebe in her crib, Ella made her way down to the living room where her boyfriend was sitting on the couch.

"Got any flashlights?" She asked.

"They're probably in the attic."

The couple made their way into the attic, grabbing the baby monitor just in case. They were lucky enough to find some flashlights with working batteries as they went through boxes of stuff.

"I found some candles," Ella said, holding up a bunch of different colored scented candles.

Billie Joe scrunched up his nose. "They're all girly and stuff."

She made a face.

"They're better than being in the dark."

"The dark is fun. You can unwillingly touch someone anywhere and it would be a total mistake."

The thirty-four year old woman chuckled.

"Even if that is fun, get me some goddamn matches."

He fumbled around with his pockets and pulled out a lighter, the only thing on him since he decided to quit smoking once again, for the sake of his baby.

"I'll light them later," She said, taking the lighter.

Billie Joe and Ella rummaged through their things out of boredom, with nothing else to do in the dark and with knowing that Phoebe was safe right downstairs.

Ella had been going through things when she came upon one box that she had never seen before. Looking through the things with a spare flashlight, she saw that they were old issues of Alternative Magazine. Some of her best and even worst work.

"Did I save these?" She asked herself out loud, grabbing her boyfriend's attention.

"No," He answered. "They're mine."

She looked over at him with a confused look.

He gave a shrug like a careless teenager. "I used to save all the issues because I knew all your pictures were in them."

"You knew where I worked all these years but you didn't tell me?" She asked as she stood up.

"Well... I didn't know we'd end up here and I didn't want to come off as a stalker when we met up again. I had found out a few years ago when I went through one of those magazines one day and saw your name."

A smile formed on her face. "I can't believe you saved these."

"They deserve to be saved."

She walked over to him and kissed him happily as they went through more boxes.

A few moments later, Ella had thought she had heard Billie Joe leave the attic but wasn't sure. She didn't hear anything in the baby monitor but still didn't know where he was.

"Billie?" She called out.

"BOOGA WOOGA WOOGA!" A voice yelled out, suddenly tackling her to the floor.

She felt the strong arms around her waist trying to tickle her. As she pushed away, she grunted.

"What the hell?"

She could see the big grin on his face as she flashed the flashlight as him. "Scared much?"

"Yeah... you idiot," She said, hitting him.

The two were still on the floor as Billie Joe inched closer to his girlfriend, giving her puppy dog eyes and kissing her neck.

"Noo, this isn't going to work," She said as she giggled a bit, grabbing his chin and surrendering by kissing him.

He grinned again as he made his way on top of her, kissing her neck more passionately. Suddenly, they heard Phoebe crying over the baby monitor.

"No, no, no," Billie Joe said as he rested his head on Ella's shoulder.

"Yes, yes, yes," Ella grumbled as the two got up and out of the attic.

The two both inferred that Phoebe was crying because they had previously heard lightning from the attic.

Ella took the crying baby out of the crib and cradled her a bit as Billie Joe sat down on their bed, watching her handle everything.

"You're a natural," He said.

She turned to him, slightly giving him a smile.

"I did a lot of babysitting in my college days."

He gave a smile as she handed over the five month old baby girl who was now quiet, staring up at her father with the identical color eyes. He made some funny faces, making her giggle for the first time and eventually headed downstairs with her and his girlfriend, placing the baby in her little playpen to rest and keep an eye on her.

The thirty-four year old mother headed back into the attic and lit the scented candles.

"Hmm... they actually smell good. We could use those in the bathroom."

Ella gave him a look and patted his head jokingly.

The thirty-three year old man made his way onto the couch as he motioned for his girlfriend to come over. She made her way onto the couch, resting her head on his lap comfortably.

"I'm bored," He said after a while.

"Well, yeah. Everyone's stuck at home and we're stuck here too."

"Yep. Let's play a game."

She chuckled. "Okay... "

"I bet I can tell you at least one memory of everything that you're wearing right now."

Her head looked up at his eyes. "You go first then."

"Okay. I can remember you wore those jeans," He said, putting his hands on her thighs. "From when we both first went to one of your ultrasounds when Phoebe was pregnant. I can remember that you wore the same tan shirt on Thanksgiving Day, last year. And I remember those sneakers of yours from the night we conceived Phoebe."

Ella chuckled a bit, feeling herself redden a little bit. "You have good memory, for someone who used to do a whole lot of drugs."

"I don't like to brag... but I'm a master at that craft."

"Of course you are. My turn."

She sat up on the couch, letting Billie Joe put his arm around her.

"Well I remember you wore that exact Ramones shirt from when we first met... " She paused for a second. "That's really sad, Billie. You still have clothes from eleventh grade that fit you."

"Keep going," He grumbled.

"I can remember that those pants were from the night of our first kiss—goodness Billie, all your high school things still fit you! And I remember those sneakers from every interview or appearance you've ever made."

* * *
"If we're still going down memory lane, then I have to rub it in your face that I always knew you'd become famous," Ella said after about an hour of still sitting on the couch talking.

"Yeah, yeah. And how I knew your pictures would get you somewhere... which they did."

"I know," She said quietly. "But if it weren't for you, I wouldn't be sitting here right now, happy as ever."

He nuzzled her neck. "You'd probably have a more attractive boyfriend or something."

"You're plenty attractive. I just mean that... if things were different, I don't think I'd be feeling so ecstatic to be sitting in the dark with you."

"Same here."

"You could've talked to anyone at Gilman that night," She said, obviously referring to the night she had sneaked out to go and watch the band. "But you talked to me. You could've had any girl the day you and the guys played Pinhole, but you were with me." She felt like she was on the verge of tears.

"There's no doubt I don't love you, El."

It's time. Do it before it's too late, you idiot.

He put his hands in hers. "This past year was, well... one hell of a ride. I don't think I've had that much drama since the band was on the verge of breaking up. But if I had to do it all over again, I would. I'm so fucking happy to be sitting here, with the woman I love that gave birth to the most beautiful little girl. So... "

Like any other romantic movie or show, Billie Joe did the cliché move of getting down on one knee. Ella sat frozen, thinking that her eyes were deceiving her at that moment. He pulled a black box out of his pocket, revealing a huge diamond ring that was practically shining in her eyes.

"Eleanor Montgomery," He said, using her real name. "Will you marry me?"

Her eyes were widened and she still sat frozen on the couch, so surprised. He waited for an answer in anticipation as he still was on one knee.

Her lips curved into a smile.

"Yes. I will."

He breathed a sigh of relief as she put her arms around him, locking him into a hug and then kissing him happily. They suddenly heard Phoebe hiccup and giggled.

Billie Joe slid the diamond right on her left "ring" finger as she grinned, kissing him again.

"It took me two times to get here," He said as she put her head on his shoulder.

"Really... "

"Yeah, once in New York but you fell asleep on me, and the night after the Bullet in a Bible premiere."

"That explains why you suddenly needed to go home."

"You didn't buy Mike's excuse, eh?"

"No... only Tre would be that eager."

They sat in silence for a few moments, both looking at Phoebe who was now soundly sleeping in her playpen after playing with her little toys.

"Not to sound all cheesy and stuff but this is probably the best day of my life," Billie Joe said, chuckling.

Ella grinned. "I doubt this one will be your best in a little while."