Finding the Beauty in Flaws

Chapter Three

Beep. Beep.

I opened my eyes, only to be blinded by the bright lights. I laid there, listening to my heart beat.

"Salem? Salem!" Someone shouted. I slowly opened my eyes. Emily, looking very big, was sleeping in a chair beside Cody. Chris was jumping up and down along with my sister Lauren and friend Carrie.

"Salem, we thought you wouldn't make it!" Lauren shouted. She was fifteen and very emotional, like me.

"What happened? All I remember is forgetting Cody's name, then blanking." I muttered. The doctor rushed in ahead of my parents, and a few nurses.

"Okay, we need everyone out except for her parents." He said in a rushy tone. They all filed out into the hallway.

"Is she okay? Is this normal?" My father yelled.

"This isn't normal. Most patients suffering from pneumonia rarely live. Especially when in a coma."

"Pneumonia? Coma? A few hours ago, I was discussing the flu and being pregnant with Emily and Chris."

"Salem, you've been in a coma for seven weeks. We didn't see any recovery over the time and everyone was suspecting you to die." He informed me.

"Die? Seven weeks?" I asked.

"Sweetie, just sit back and relax. Don't do too much talking. It could possibly overwork the lungs, send the heart into cardiac arrest, or damage your brain. I have to run a few tests on you. But believe me, you are a very special child. This is a very, very rare occurrence." I lay back and closed my eyes.

"Salem, we'll be right back. We just need to sign a few papers and discuss a few things with the doctor." My mom whispered in my ear. She kissed me on the forehead and walked out. Everyone else soon crowded back in.

"Hey Lauren, could you do me a favor?" I asked. She nodded. I pointed to my camera, following the doctor's instructions to not talk so much.

"You want me take a picture of you? In this condition?" She asked. I nodded.

"Oh, that reminds me. Over the past seen weeks, we have all worked together to keep your photography legacy going. We have a surprise for you when you get home and we stole your camera to take pictures of just about every event that's happened." Emily slowly informed me, holding my hand.

"I love you guys so much. I couldn't do anything without y'all." I cried, flaunting my very fake southern accent. We all laughed together. And just like usual, we were one big family.