You're As Fake As The Moans You Make

01.

Tierney Dunlevy was not really a people person. Or rather, she hadn't been over the past 6 months.

Glancing over her reflection in the full-length mirror hanging on her closet door, she choked back a sob. The Tierney staring back at her was far from who she really was. Her normally curly blond hair, had been dyed dark brown, and pulled back into a ponytail. She had never been overly-girly, so the heavy make-up she was wearing made her feel even more uncomfortable. She pulled nervously at the hem of her dress, that only covered to about barely mid-thigh. Really, she just wanted to curl up in her bed in a pair of flannel pajama pants, one of her dad's old college sweaters and avoid this stupid party all-together.

It had been 6 months since she had seen any of the boys. It was the night before they left for one of their tours, and Tierney accompanied them to a going away party at John O'Callaghan's house. She had grown up with John her entire life seeing as their parents had known each other long before John or Tierney had come around. It was supposed to be a pointless nights of mind-numbingly loud music, and enough alcohol to drown a small country; But Tierney Dunlevy never could keep her mouth shut.

She had thought that he was actually into her. She thought maybe for once, this was her chance to get what she wanted. Of course, Kennedy Brock was completely hammered when Tierney spilled her guts to him. He was really only half-listening to her.

"Tier, baby, you're really not my type at all. I mean, look at you! It's never going to happen, sorry."

She left the party in tears, Kennedy's drunken laughter clouding her head. She didn't bother saying bye to the any of the band. In fact, the only thing she heard from them, was John calling the next morning apologizing for whatever it was Kennedy had done. She never returned his phone calls. She just convinced herself that that part of her life was behind her.

But not even a month later, her mom got sick. After she passed away, Tierney's sister had began drinking. Now more than ever she needed a shoulder to cry on, but the only friends she had ever known were off touring the country, forgetting about her.

She buried herself deeper and deeper into a pool of self-pity. She dropped out not even halfway through her freshman year of college. Her sister decided to move out of the family home in Arizona, and settle down in Washington State. She cut off contact with Tierney and her father, claiming she was in a new chapter of her life. Tierney's father started working late every night, to the point where she never saw him anymore.

Tierney's days and nights were spent watching old home videos, and cheesy 90's television shows.

Until she received a call from John's mother. They were coming home in a couple days, and Mrs. O'Callaghan wanted to throw them a 'Welcome Home' party, and Tierney was invited. She was completely unaware of Tierney losing all contact with the band, but she didn't have the heart to tell her no.

So here she was, preparing herself for the long night she had ahead of her.

She was nothing like herself anymore. If she wasn't Kennedy's type before, she thought that maybe she was now. Tierney wasn't exactly looking to hook up with Kennedy, but just sort of make him jealous.

She finally gathered up all the confidence she could muster, and grabbed her cell phone and a pair of silver ballet flats. When she pulled up to the familiar house, she noticed there were only a couple other cars in the driveway. Making her way to the front door, she decided to make her way right in, rather than knock on the door. She recognized a couple of the people who were scattered throughout the living room as some of John's cousins, a couple people from high school, and John's long-time girlfriend, Lynne. SHe made her way through the crowd unnoticed, and slipped into the kitchen.

"Tierney, dear, is that you?"

She gave Mrs. O'Callaghan the biggest smile she could muster. She was pulled into a hug once she had set down the tray of food Mrs. O'Callaghan was carrying. "You look so different!"

Tierney shrugged, "Six months can take it's toll on someone."

Mrs. O'Callaghan frowned at her, picking up a case of Coca-Cola. "I sure am glad you could make it, dear."

"It was a pleasure to be invited! Now let me take this." Tierney grabbed the case of pop from her hands, "Where should I put it?"

"Well, I was just going to put it into the fridge in the garage. But hurry back because the boys should be here any minute!"

Tierney nodded, heading towards the garage. She placed the box at her feet, heaving open the refrigerator door. She really wanted to spend as little time as possible in the house, so she decided to place each can, one by one, into the fridge. She was about halfway through the case when she heard the door tot he garage open behind her.

"Tierney?"

She sighed, turning around to greet her visitor.