You're As Fake As The Moans You Make

14.

"Paul, could we maybe talk?"

He smirked, kissing her lightly. "Isn't that what we're doing right now?"

"Paul." The smirk quickly disappeared off his face as he noticed Tierney was being serious.

Sighing, he let go of her. "All right, come on. I'm sure one of the guys can get these boxes later." He laced their fingers together and lead her out of the venue. They took a seat on the edge of the sidewalk, Paul letting his long legs stretch out onto the road. "I'm all ears."

It took Tierney a couple minutes to gather up the right words to say. With her free hand she traced small circles in the concrete sidewalk next to her. "Paul, I like you... a lot." She kept her eyes glued to the pavement her fingers were tracing over as she spoke. "But I feel like we never actually get to spend any time together. All we ever do is go to some party on one of the bands buses and the occasional time we'll go for coffee or whatever."

He nodded, squeezing her hand tighter. "I know exactly what you mean. It's just... I need to know that you don't have feelings for anyone else."

Almost as if on cue, Kennedy stepped out of the doors of the venue looking towards Tierney and Paul. "Tier, we're loading up now and then we're heading out. We need you." She held up her hand to signal for a moment, and turned to face Paul.

"No, I don't." For some reason, the words didn't feel as truthful as she thought they would coming from her mouth.

"Perfect. Then I think we should make this official. Tierney, would you like to be my girlfriend?"

"Tierneyyyyy." Kennedy whined, tapping his foot impatiently.

She looked quickly back and forth between Paul and Kenny, unsure.

"Look, take your time. I'll be here." He leaned down and gave her a quick kiss. However, this time, all she could see when she closed her eyes was Kennedy's lips on hers.

______________________

The entire ride to Seattle, Tierney sat at the back of the van, her iPod turned up loud enough to drown out the noise of the people around her. As The Postal Service slowly sung her to sleep, Garrett lightly shook her shoulder.

She tugged out one of her earbuds, not bothering to open her eyes. "Yeah?"

"I was just uh... wondering, if you maybe needed to talk?"

She opened her eyes, pausing her iPod, and looking over towards him. "Not really."

He nodded, and pulled her body into his, moving so his back was pressed against the window. "You know, if you ever need to talk, I'm here to listen. Not all the compassionate genes were passed on to Trey, you know."

Tierney smiled as he rubbed her back soothingly. "I know. Just, right now... I really just need time to think." She buried her face into his neck as he sighed.

"I really hate seeing you like this, Tier."

"I really hate being like this, Garry."