Status: 1/26/11: Someone reported this story so....

Last Regret

Chapter 8

The drive home is mostly silent except for Brendon occasionally humming along to the radio. He never changes the station and instead bounces along to every song like a jumping bean. He periodically sneaks concerned glances at me, but I pretend to ignore them. Brendon didn't need to know about Lindsay. If he found out, he'd only make things worse and I didn't want to ruin this thing that we had whatever it was.

"Are you sure you're okay?" he asks, as the car comes to a halt in front of my apartment complex.

"Yeah I'm great," I answer, smiling uncomfortably. He stares at me for a few seconds before trying again.

"You'd tell me if something was wrong right?"

"Brendon, relax. I'm-"

"You didn't answer the question!" he exclaims and I roll my eyes.

"Of course I'd tell you," I lie and Brendon sighs in relief.

"Thanks for tonight," I say pushing open the car door.

"I'll walk you to the door," he says, already shoving his own door open.

I wasn't falling for this. In stupid cheesy movies, the guy kisses the girl when he walks her to the door. Obviously Brendon was naive enough to believe that that would work in real life. Not that I was completely repulsed by the idea of kissing Brendon.

But I didn't want to fall for someone else so easily again. I needed to keep my guard up, so I wouldn't get hurt. At first, I'd wanted to use Brendon as a rebound, but he didn't deserve it. Not even a little.

"Actually um, you don't have to," I say quietly. Brendon's already half way out the door and he shakes his head.

"Yes I do." I sigh and follow Brendon to the front door. To complete the cliche, I of course, can't find my keys.

"You ever see that movie-" Brendon begins.

"Nope. I've never seen...a movie," I trail off uncomfortably.

Brendon's eyes widen, "really? Then I'll take you tomorrow. There's this new movie out that I've been dying to see. I'll come by at around 3 okay?"

Reluctantly I nod and he smiles.

"See you then!" he says happily before running off to his car. Me and my fucking mouth.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait!