You're in My Heart, the Only Light That Shines There in the Dark

you know you really need to settle down

I'd say there’s more to learn
Even after
The lesson
***
"Oh god.”

"What’s wrong? Jess?" Laila asked through the closed restroom door.

"Oh fuck ...” Jess sat in silence, she was shocked "oh.god" she managed to say once more before she bent over and hurled.

"Jess!” Lailas voice sounded urgent.”Are you ok? What does it say? "

The restroom door swung open and Jess stood there looking like she just saw a ghost.

“Oh wow, Jess you look like crap." Laila crossed her arms as she watched Jess.

“Thanks." Jess said numbly as she sat down on the bed.

"So?" Laila waited for an answer.

Without a word Jess handed Laila the pregnancy test.

"Hmm." Laila looked confused “so the little red plus sign means your gunna get fat?”

“Yes Laila, It’s called being pregnant." Jess stood up and snatched the test from her .

“Oh makes sense ... awww there’s a little Rob in there!" Laila laughed as she knelt down to Jess's stomach." so what are your thoughts?" Laila asked as she got up from her knees.

"I...I-I ...I don’t know; right now I just feel like -." Jess's expression hadn’t changed since she first got out of the restroom.

“Like?" Laila reached for Jess's shoulder just in case she decided to faint.

"I'm scared and definitely not ready for this." Jess stumbled back and sat down again. "I’m just ..."

"-Going to be a mom." Laila smiled and sat down next to her best friend." Don’t worry it will be fine, you and Rob will have a wonderful family together it will be as the French call it votre possédez très le petit famille." Laila looked forward smiling obliviously to how Jess was looking at her.

“What did you just say?” Jess stared at laila.

“Oh right it uh ... it means your very own little family." Laila smiled this time looking directly at Jess then hugging her warmly.

“Yeh ..." Jess closed her eyes and hugged Laila tighter “It’s going to be just fine ...it’s a blessing." She said under her breath.

****

"So." Brendon sat behind laila and wrapped his arms around her. "Where is this going?" He stared intently into the sunset.

“where is what going?" she held onto him and buried her face in his forearm.

“Us." his voice sounded smoother as he stood up and pulled laila up with him. “Be my girlfriend? Again." He let out a sheepish smile and pulled laila closer to him.

Laila looked at his shirt avoiding eye contact and started off with her words sounding horse." this won’t work." she looked sick and her eyes didn’t have the same look they always did .

“What’s wrong?" Brendon asked he looked worried.

“Nothing. It’s just that I know you’re not ready." Laila pulled away.

“And what makes you say that?" Brendon sounded confused.

“I know you can’t be committed just to me and I’m not the type of girl who will just stand there and let you take advantage of me just because I love you." Laila looked hurt but her words sounded angry.

"How do you know that, I couldn’t commit to all the other girls because I wasn’t happy by their side?" Brendon’s voice sounded shaky.

“Yeh but I gave you no right to cheat on them."

“It’s the past and when we were together I never once cheated on you." Brendon hired his voice to hide that it was breaking.

“But you did tell me that you didn’t love me!” Laila broke the hidden emotions and cried. “You said it to me and then you walked away.

“Well you were so difficult I didn’t know how to love you that’s why I thought I couldn’t." Brendon choked back his tears once more.

“Well then ..." Laila wiped her tears "what makes this time any different?" She didn’t wait for his answer and walked past him into the house.

He stood there a while contemplating his next move. He then walked to his car it was best if he gave her some room and didn’t bother her anymore with it tonight.

****

"Laila what’s wrong?" Jess asked sitting on the couch.

“It’s nothing." Laila said then quickly made her way upstairs.

“What’s up with them?" Rob asked Jess.

“They both love each other but just can’t see it yet." Jesses simply said as she sat forward and crossed her hands and rest them on her lap.

“You seem tense." Rob gave a Jess a massage." Is something bothering you?" Rob kissed Jess's cheek and pulled her into a hug.

Jess was frozen, her stomach started to twist in knots and she could feel herself blinking a lot.

“Ok what’s wr-?"

"I'm pregnant!” Jess quickly interrupted Rob’s question.

Rob stared at Jess with a surprised look on his face then stood up “Well..." He walked toward the glass sliding door and pressed his face on it. “That’s going to be one sexy kid." A smiled formed on his face and he walked back to Jess and hugged her tight.

“This ought to be a ride." Jess said through tears.

Rob could tell she was scared " One hell of a roller coaster but don’t worry baby I'm here with you and everything is going to be ok." Rob kissed Jess and embraced her.

*****

It was always meant to be
Even if we couldn’t see it