Haydn

Haydn: Chapter Three

Her every word, like steel nails, hammered themselves into my chest, nailing me to her tale. She was from a middle-classed family, her father owned a publishing house as well as his own bookstore. His name was Benedict James White.
Haydn's mother had passed away from the fever when she was born, and she had to live motherless until she was 13. It was then when her father remarried to a wealthy lady who lived on the far side of the town. She was a pretty and delicate sight, but was also a spendthrift. Eventually, the whole family was in a shower of debts. Haydn's stepmother did not want the blame on her, so she accused Haydn of all their troubles. Ben did not want to oppose and lose another wife, so he went along with whatever she said.
Poor Haydn was endlessly and unjustly punished, and at 14, when her family could not handle the weight of all the debts, her stepmother engaged her to the heir of a wealthy nobleman. Haydn sunk into a depression as soon as she found that she was to me married to a man 15 years older than her! She ran away from home just days before the wedding, and was found a month later living on the streets. Her stepmother was fed up with her and locked her away in her windowless room.
Years later, Ben grew terribly ill. Because of the lack of money, Haydn was eventually forced to marry at such a young age. She became passive and lost interest in everything. Ben was worried about her but whenever he tried to visit her, Haydn's stepmother would prevent him from doing so.
One day, Ben's illness worsened until the doctor concluded that he was on his deathbed. Haydn wanted to see her father so badly that she ran away to see him for the last time. Unfortunately, she was too late. Her father had passed away and her stepmother had ran off with his remaining money. Haydn, who did not want to return to her husband's home, decided to live in the park alone.
And at that point was where I came to find her.
"You poor lass, having gone through so much..." I fumbled.
At that moment, there was a loud rapping at my door. The room shook as the stranger outside violently banged against the wooden slab.
"Who might that be?" I called calmly.
"Harold Peterson! I have come to take my wife back!"
♠ ♠ ♠
.