Haydn

Haydn: Chapter Five

"Where to, sir?" the young coach driver asked me while he grinned amiably.
"I'll pay you double of what you normally get if you hurry up and catch that carriage," I said in an unfriendly manner.
He took off, either because of the tone of my voice, or the fact that he was going to be able to buy twice the amount of drinks at the inn. I could not care less pondering about such a trivial matter. My eyes were set on that black horse-drawn carriage ahead of me.
"Haydn," I whispered to myself, "What in the world is it about you that would make me do this?"
Just then, the Haydn's vehicle swerved abruptly to an alley so narrow, that it would take alot of skill to do such a thing. Fortunately, my driver had suffice experience in the art of carriage maneuvering, and continued to chase them.
"Geez, sir," he gasped in his friendly cockney accent, "The bloke in the otha' carriage must be real important to ya'..."
I ignored that completely.
"Harold must be aware that i'm tailing him," I muttered to myself silently.
The carriage sped off at high speed, weaving in and out the traffic. Nevertheless, I was still hot on their trail, despite the fact that my driver almost collided with a few people and lamp posts. Speeding further and further away from my home, I realised that I was surrounded by gorgeous scenery and beautifully built houses. I had not the time to admire this, and continued my chase.
Blazing after them, my carriage took a different road, completely camouflaged by trees and houses. I thought that Harold would assume that I was gone. My guess was spot on. He immediately slowed down.
I watched, totally concealed, as the pursued hastily rode off to a rusty gate, and behind it an amazing mansion, hidden by blankets after blankets of trees, shrubs and vines. Harold and Haydn got off there, and after paying the driver, entered the estate. I stopped nearby too, and after swiftly paying my overjoyed and somewhat relieved driver, I crept into the residence.
While keeping an eye out for any guard dogs, I slowly infiltrated the grounds. I peeped through a window to see Haydn seated on a couch.
Sobbing.
Her husband stood in front of her, furious.
"Do you respect me as a husband?" he asked her.
There was no reply.
"Do you respect me as a man?" he continued.
"Do you love me at all?" he asked, his voice quivering.
She did not even look up.
There was a sharp contact between his palm and her soft cheek, and Haydn was on the floor, gasping for breath.
"Answer me, Haydn!!" He bellowed.
"You monster..." she mouthed. Harold did not notice this. His hand was poised to strike her again.
"Yes..." she lied, looking up at him with wet eyes.
"Then why were you with that man?!" He yelled angrily.
"I...I...I did not do anything indecent, i-if that's what you're thinking!!" she choked through tears.
"You're lying!!" Harold exclaimed, striking her.
"I'm NOT!!!" Haydn retorted, crying harder. She clutched onto the carpet tightly.
"Upstairs. The guest bedroom. Now." He growled.
"Wh-what? Why??" She gasped bewilderedly.
"After what happened today, I don't want to look at your wretched face!!" He shouted.
Haydn was rooted to the spot, afraid of him. I felt so much anger welding up within me, but I had to control myself from bursting in.
"What are you waiting for? Go!!" He exclaimed madly.
I slumped into the grass as poor Haydn walked up the stairs. I felt a surge of emotions welling up inside of me. I caught sight of a vine-infested grail climbing towards the roof. I used this chance to get to the top floor and entered the house through a window.
And I found myself standing a step away from Harold.
His back, to my luck, faced me, and I silently crept away and hid inside a dusty storeroom.
That was close, I thought.
I sat in the dark room, waiting for who knows how long. Much later that night, when I presumed everyone to be asleep, I headed to the guest bedroom. It did not take me long to find it, as Haydn had already unknowingly showed me its location. I wriggled the doorknob, but to my dismay it was locked.
"Damn!" I cursed softly. "There must be another way..."
I spotted the window from which I entered the house. That was it! I could use the grail to get to her room! I slowly climbed out, carefully getting my footing so as I would not fall. I made my way to what I assumed to be the guest bedroom's window. Looking through a slight gap between the scarlet blinds, I saw a woman sprawled on a bed.
It's her..., I thought.
Excitedly, I forced the window open and entered the guest bedroom. I was right, it was Haydn. I sat down next to her, unable to speak or move; I was completely paralyzed. She looked so dainty and vulnerable. The moonlight complimented her features, and her skin almost resembled porcelain. I stroked her hair.
Wet.
She must have cried herself to sleep not long before I came in. I embraced her small, fragile figure.
"H-Harold-?" she moaned, opening her eyes. She jumped. She didn't expect to see me.
I put my finger to her lips.
"Be quiet, Hay." I said to her, "Harold might wake up."
"But how did you get in-"
"What did I just tell you?"
Silence.
"You know, you don't have to stay here," I whispered almost inaudibly. "Harold's a lunatic, you don't want this life."
"Of course I don't," she replied just as softly, "But I have no choice..."
"You always have a choice, and your choices are to either stay with Harold, or come with me. What do you say?"
"Well I say, you're going to be a dead man," said a gruff, manly voice.
I turned to where the man spoke, shocked that I did not hear him enter.
Harold Peterson stood by the door with a gun.
♠ ♠ ♠
.